• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Trade only city?

DeletedUser24480

How would I go about building a trade only city? I know I would have to do all the research but I want to avoid building any military buildings but I'm not sure I could advance through the tasks. Thanks for any suggestions.

Socrates28

As with any manner of playing this game your choices are your decisions. All trade is possible, in my opinion, it will just require you to build many more mfg, ws (for supplies), and residences (population for both) than would otherwise be necessary. It will be space challenged (just like everything in this game), a slow road, and doable. I admit I am impatient and when I attempted that strategy it got very expensive very quickly. So I switched to a fighting strategy and now only cater when I lose a battle on auto-fight.
Personally I would rather not fight at all. I thought the fighting system was too difficult to learn, and I am finding I can learn anyway. I also do not like fighting games where I am making another person lose when I win. However, in this game we only fight against the computer (i.e. Inno) and they are not suffering at all. ;):D
That is my opinion and I hope it helps in your decision making process. Good luck!

Kataphractos

For some reason you can't sell/delete your Barracks once you build it, nor can you use a "teleport" scroll to get it out of your town. In addition, there are several quests in the first few chapters which require you to upgrade a Barracks, or train certain units. Fortunately, the other military buildings are all optional, and IIRC every enemy who can be fought with troops can also be bribed with goods. So you can train and/or upgrade to the absolute minimum necessary for any given quest, and then just let them sit there.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Tolkiengirl58
Another thing to be aware of is Armories. Once you reach Chapter 8 Orcs, complete the tech & upgrade them to lvl 20, they will begin making little green orc heads (not to be confused with Orc military troops, lol!) similar to the way your factories produce goods. These little orcs will be required in negotiations on the world map (beyond ring 10 from your city), catering in tournaments (once you reach a certain squad size), and upgrading certain bldgs (workshops for every upgrade from Orcs chapter onward). Some Fellowship Adventures require badges made by producing troops. Events have quests to train troops. Until you train them, you can be stuck and unable to continue in the quest line thus severely limiting the amount of event currency you can get.
There are folks who play without ever fighting. I'm not one of them, but from what I've seen in comments here, they seem to use the barracks and 2 armories to help with the little orcs, events, etc. They never need to build the Training Grounds or Mercenary Camps. You can use upgrading the armories for event quests, too. Especially as you reach higher chapters, their upgrade times are some of the quickest in the game, so having them will help with event quests that require you to upgrade a bldg to a certain level.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
A trade only town is very possible and not too hard. You surprisingly don't need that many factories or workshops. I use to have one and it still only needed 40 squares of each factory type. That was mostly prior to instants and spells which would make this build even easier. Without the military buildings you could build some extras. Things you need to bear in mind though:
  • Can't delete a barracks once built. You might be able to not build one at all but the start tutorial has changed a bit since I started a town. Worst case just leave it at level 1 and stick it in a corner.
  • Any story line quest requiring military will slow you down but once you go to the next chapter they become declineable and you will speed-through the quests you do want.
  • Cater only for tech tree and research is simple.
  • Catering for tournaments is more expensive in terms of resource needed compared to military (but then you should have more space). I found I couldn't do as much tourny activity each week as I wanted which is when i wen to a balanced town. If your tourny expectations each week aren't huge, then you should be fine. I would think you should be able to do 1,600pts each week
  • Spire catering - Actually easier in lower levels due to less goods available to the spire but qty's can be big. Again depends how much and how far you wish to go in spire.
  • Catering is easy enough but if your goods production is struggling you will need to adjust your spending (spire and tournies for example)
  • Events and FA often have quests for building troops, these will be impossible for you when they occur. You could place valorian valors for your current chapter to produce troops as a work around and then teleport them out, same for grounds of orc strategist
  • The orc resource need for catering in provinces and tourneys will require either an armoury from ch 8 or higher or some other craftable options. Supply here could impact your level of catering. Word of warning that in the current last tech the demand on orcs goes up a lot, basically you can't over produce them in the early chapters as the later ones will use them up quick. Might be trial and error to find right balance
  • Wonders - plan them carefully and probably go nuts on the economy only ones,

Laochra

All of my cities are trade only. I have the Barracks & 1 armory only. The armory is necessary for training orcs when you reach the orc chapter. I run with five T1, five T2 and three T3 boosted factories. With regular trading in my fellowships, this has been a good balance for my cities. I will note that I typically am only able to run one round of the tourney each week. On non-boosted weeks, I run at least 10 provinces & on boosted weeks, I try to get 15-20 provinces. As far as AWs, I run with the GA, MH, WR & BTG for now. One of my smaller cities has the PT as well.

Last edited:

DeletedUser24480

@Tolkiengirl58
Another thing to be aware of is Armories. Once you reach Chapter 8 Orcs, complete the tech & upgrade them to lvl 20, they will begin making little green orc heads (not to be confused with Orc military troops, lol!) similar to the way your factories produce goods. These little orcs will be required in negotiations on the world map (beyond ring 10 from your city), catering in tournaments (once you reach a certain squad size), and upgrading certain bldgs (workshops for every upgrade from Orcs chapter onward). Some Fellowship Adventures require badges made by producing troops. Events have quests to train troops. Until you train them, you can be stuck and unable to continue in the quest line thus severely limiting the amount of event currency you can get.
There are folks who play without ever fighting. I'm not one of them, but from what I've seen in comments here, they seem to use the barracks and 2 armories to help with the little orcs, events, etc. They never need to build the Training Grounds or Mercenary Camps. You can use upgrading the armories for event quests, too. Especially as you reach higher chapters, their upgrade times are some of the quickest in the game, so having them will help with event quests that require you to upgrade a bldg to a certain level.
Oh awesome, this is very helpful info, thankyou!

DeletedUser24480

All of my cities are trade only. I have the Barracks & 1 armory only. The armory is necessary for training orcs when you reach the orc chapter. I run with five T1, five T2 and three T3 boosted factories. With regular trading in my fellowships, this has been a good balance for my cities. I will note that I typically am only able to run one round of the tourney each week. On non-boosted weeks, I run at least 10 provinces & on boosted weeks, I try to get 15-20 provinces. As far as AWs, I run with the GA, MH, WR & BTG for now. One of my smaller cities has the PT as well.
So much to learn, thank you!