• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Training Grounds or Mercenary Camp

Silver Lady

I’m at the start of Chap 8 Orcs & Goblins and have a military question. I can only auto-fight as I play on a tablet. To conserve space and population, besides my barrack, I’d like to have only a Trainning Grounds or Mercenary Camp. Currently when I fight I find that I mostly use units produced in the barracks, and occasionally Valorian Guards (from Valorian Valor) and Frogs (from Witches Hut), and rarely units produced in the Training Grounds. So I’m thinking about selling my Training Grounds and putting in a Mercenary Camp. This is true for both my elf and human cities. Any recommendations/suggestions/comments from anyone with some fighting experience will be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The merc camp units are far superior to the training grounds, especially later, but with 3 queues working at the same time if you don't build all of them you are basically cutting your army by 33%. You sure you can't fit both?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Silver Lady If you have both elvish and human cities, I would say it depends. Mercenary Camp is a must have for an elvish city, as soon as you can build it. It gives you the Blossom Mage, which is the best mage unit available to an elvish player. Even at 1 star they tend to outperform 2 and 3 star Sorceress units in almost any fight. In my elvish city, they are all I use. I have stopped training Sorceresses in my barracks entirely, which also lets me focus my barracks more on Treants and Golems and make more of them. Getting all 3 eventually is a good idea, but if you are crunched for space/pop in an elvish city and can only do 1, I say MC

If you are human, you have Priests as your standard mage unit and they are fantastic. Getting the MC eventually is still a good idea, but it is not a top priority because you don't need Blossom Mages right away. Priests work great. If you are absolutely crunched for space/pop I would say a human player can afford to wait until a little later in the game to build MC. That way the units you make in it will have promotions. Furtermore, for a human player at your level I think the Training Grounds is important. Even at 3 stars, the Human Mortar heavy ranged unit is not that great. In Orcs you are going to unlock the Orc Strategist. 1 star Orc Strats will work better in many fights than a 3 star Mortar, so they are valuable to a human player. In addition, you are going to get the 3 star Cerberus promotion in the Orcs chapter. Once you get this, I would start using Cerberus exclusively as you light melee unit. This will let you stop training Axe Barbarians entirely in you barracks and will let you make more units such as Priests. So for a human player, I say build Training Grounds first in you can only afford 1.

Silver Lady

@SoggyShorts I get the overall reduction in army size from not having all 3 training queues, but I don’t have the supplies to run all 3 all the time and progress with everything else.

@Henroo Appreciate the explanation of difference of the two between elf and human. That was really helpful.

In summary I think my plan will be to place the MC in my elf city & transport out sell my TG. I’ll leave the TG in my human city. My goal will be to eventually have both TG & MC in both cities as soon as I can support them with space, population & supplies.

Thanks for the explanations & suggestions, y‘all are great. Hopefully my plan will allow me to fight a little more often and still save a bit over all.

Edit: changed ‘transport out‘ to ‘sell’. Apparently teleport spells don’t work on the TG.

Last edited:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
In addition, you can't sell a Barracks once built. It is nuke-proof. ;) You can sell Training Ground or Mercenary Camps.

Silver Lady

In addition, you can't sell a Barracks once built. It is nuke-proof. ;) You can sell Training Ground or Mercenary Camps.

So I found. Glad I hadn’t upgraded my TG very far. I find it hard enough to sell as is and right now it’s tucked off to the side & not connected to a road until I can bring myself to click the sell button. :)

Silver Lady

@SoggyShorts What Wayfarers Taverns? I don’t have any, I just checked. I play on Elc, Har and Sin, but there seems to be a Siver Lady that’s not me on Beta1 and Win. Could you be looking at her cities?