• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Unique Identifier for New Players in Trader

Iyapo1

Summary: Make trades posted by new players easily identifiable in the trader.

Details:
  • Depending on coding issues the unique identifier could be linked to chapter or start date.
  • The player's name could be a different color or have a mark since some people are color blind.

Pros: Easily allows all players to identify and help new players. Would allow recruiting Fellowships to find and target active new players.

Cons: It might reduce the number of new players joining Fellowships. It might cause new players to habitually post trades that would not be accepted from established players.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I like this basic idea of identifying new players. Perhaps a special banner on the world page would be all that is needed -- replaced after X days with nothing or once they join a fellowship. Should be fairly easy to code since they already put the banner id in the display.

I'm not sure of the trading as it's pretty easy to see new players by the size of their trades as well as the "unacceptable" trades they sometimes post -- which I suspect large players pick up anyway as they are usually so small.

So the core or goal perhaps, of the idea, is great. I think, I'd just implement it differently.

I think, overall, it would actually increase the players joining fellowships or at least be break-even since now they are a target to recruiters rather than a "hit-or-miss" attempt. It would save the recruiters the trouble of looking them up on elvenstats.com anyway.

AJ

Iyapo1

I think, overall, it would actually increase the players joining fellowships
I agree with this, however there is always the possibility that it would backfire, why join a FS if your trades are always picked up? Unintended cons.

maeter75

Add to this....If you mouse over/hover over the persons name you could see their score, could be very helpful in determining their trades and if they are new, and how far along

shimmerfly

Possibly the chapter they are in could be added to the banner.......but non FS's have no banner...
I like the idea of some type of identifier.

BrinDarby

This could be achieved on Mobile, here's how :

On a PC, you would be using a "on mouseover" or "on hover" commands
On Mobile you can use a "press/hold" command...
Just as you can look @ app info by holding your finger down on that app,
its as simple as the correct command use...

I do see other ways , rather than this, but this magnifies the differences
between PC/Mobile ... players shouldn't be penalized for any "feature"
due to how they access the game...... PC/Mobile should both have the
same features... Elvenar is a brand, and should be consistent across
all platforms... and most commands can be duplicated in use, across
both platforms, even if mobile is being used in PC mode.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I think it is pretty easy to tell just by the size of the trade and whether you recognize them.

I agree that, as a general rule you can look at the size and whether you recognize them, but then they have just moved into your neighborhood and are in the habit of posting small trades even though they've been around for six months.....then not so much. A timed banner (or other method of identification) would make their "newness" clear.

AJ

maeter75

Add to this....If you mouse over/hover over the persons name you could see their score, could be very helpful in determining their trades and if they are new, and how far along. I find with new players and players being moved, its very hard for me to realize if a 1000 item trade is from a new or old player. I scouted out 525 proveniences so that may be part of making it difficult.

shimmerfly

The size of a trade is not always an indicator.
I post a few small trades for newer players regularly.
(Most of the time a big player gobbles them up.)

Iyapo1

The size of a trade is not always an indicator.
I post a few small trades for newer players regularly.
(Most of the time a big player gobbles them up.)
They probably think they are helping. I regularly clear smaller trades to ensure smaller player have their trades taken
Bless the gobblers! Bless the posters of small trades! Both of these things were very helpful to me!
I just thought that if new players were in a different color or had a star or something it would help keep their trades from sitting. Even something as simple as giving them priority placement for 30 days(first page of the trader) anything that makes them stand out.

Yogi Dave

Good idea. I'd suggest the player's name be a different color or have a mark since some people are color blind, not the trade itself. Also, link it to chapter when this ends identifying the player as 'new'. How long since you started doesn't seem to relate. You may start the game then not have access for a while, yet you are still just as new a player as before.