• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Universal chat

mrtjd15

I propose you set up a Universal chat box too so we can chat to all players across the communitiy. You can do this by putting the Universal chat within the same box and letting yourself choose that or member chat and making the different chat boxes different colors so you can tell which one apart. Also, if it is a good idea, you can set up a private chat box to other players too. A really good example of this is in the game "The Saga of Ryzom".

Aritra

By universal, are you referring to per server/world? Or all of Elvenar?
Sounds very complicated but outside my knowledge to speculate on how reasonable it is. I think this gets complicated easily because players are so global (not just geographic location of players, but multiple game-world servers internationally operating parallel). I'm not familiar with Ryzom and just because another game did it, doesn't mean it is comparable.
For that reason, I'm iffy on the feasibility, but I support the ability to chat (not just message) with others in the world who are not in FS (and beyond is even better). I imagine chat was prioritized for FS because it would have greatest need for communication inherent to the game, but I have wished for the ability to message (or chat) with players I have met here in the forum but don't have cities in my game world.
Just my ignorant two-cents...

If the logistics were worked out and this was achieved, it would be great! (but I'm not holding my breath)
+1

mrtjd15

I think a universal chat invovling just one whole world would probably be best. Not all worlds, but, all worlds might someday happen too. The chat box can have tabs, each tab is for different chats, one for your Fellowship, one for your world, and maybe another for all worlds, (Or Universal chat).
Also, it would be nice to be able to just click on another fellowship members name and have a personal / private chat with them. It is so cumbersome to post mails to everyone, especially players from other Fellowships

Guurt The Destroyer

I was really surprised to discover that Elvenar didn't have world chat. For a few weeks I kept thinking it would get unlocked for me at some point. When I discovered chat was just with Fellowship members I was quite surprised. Really weird. Community is a big part of these sorts of games, and allowing players to chat globally would go a long way to building more community.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
It's been my understanding for a long time that chat is done by a third party. Many games do this. Thus, the features of the chat area are purchased from that third party and the more features....the more cost. The only way to make a universal chat work -- if Inno does the chat via third party -- is to increase the average revenues Inno takes in from the game and persuade them to spend the increased revenues to purchase more chat features.

On the other hand, if they built their own chat feature, I agree with the poster that it would be nice if they could put in a second, tab selected, chat and make it world wide (not really game universal, as that would be way, way too much).

AJ

Grid Gypsy

It's been my understanding for a long time that chat is done by a third party. Many games do this. Thus, the features of the chat area are purchased from that third party and the more features....the more cost. The only way to make a universal chat work -- if Inno does the chat via third party -- is to increase the average revenues Inno takes in from the game and persuade them to spend the increased revenues to purchase more chat features.

On the other hand, if they built their own chat feature, I agree with the poster that it would be nice if they could put in a second, tab selected, chat and make it world wide (not really game universal, as that would be way, way too much).

AJ

I believe that their retention would be better and thus they would make more money if the game wasn't so isolating. You start as a new player and there's no one to ask questions of, no one to talk to unless you go the extra step and register on the forums. If you're lucky in game you find a fellowship fills those needs, but if you're unlucky you end up in a group with a bunch of other players that don't know any more than you do. Then the AM goes inactive and you have no one to guide you. Now what? If you're like me you do some research, but I'm betting most players just get frustrated and quit. I know for a fact that 95% of my original FS did exactly that in the same scenario. A sense of community larger than the other two dozen or less people you're connected to in an FS would probably go a long way.

DeletedUser29117

This actually has already been proposed a few times.

I like this idea. My felllowship’s chat has been dead for the past few weeks, so it’d be nice to have a chat with more the ~25 people in my FS.

Fiona Selah

Would love a World chat. Any nay-sayers to this should be able to opt out as their preference is also important. I think most can agree that this would help recruiting immensely. I also would spend more time in the game.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Sounds very complicated
It's extremely easy, and not actually cost prohibitive at all. afaik inno's reluctance is just due to not wanting to moderate, but we have FS chat that we moderate ourselves and have the forums moderated by volunteers, so chat would be no different.
I spoke with the devs from GGG about it during the Path of Exile Beta and it really is a basic thing to implement either by purchasing a pre-built or having one designed in house, and that was a decade ago.

Last edited:

Aritra

It's extremely easy, and not actually cost prohibitive at all. afaik inno's reluctance is just due to not wanting to moderate, but we have FS chat that we moderate ourselves and have the forums moderated by volunteers, so chat would be no different.
I spoke with the devs from GGG about it during the Path of Exile Beta and it really is a basic thing to implement either by purchasing a pre-built or having one designed in house, and that was a decade ago.
Good to know.

BrinDarby

The last game I played had a great chat system, but it was @ bottom of screen
so it was full width, so only having 6ish lines it was ok , The best option is an
expandable chat, but once you have that, simple chat tabs....
for say Fellowship, World, Group, and Personal. For many reasons tho,
only 1 would be "live" @ any given time....

By far the most used would be the World option, but in its current form,
on the right with so few width ... its kinda not doable because it would
scroll wayyyyy to fast. A full width screen chat, then expandable would
prolly be the best form to use.

I'd vote heck yeah for world chat.....

ajqtrz

How is it known that it's "extremely easy" to do? I agree that a simple chat window is pretty easy, but once you get past that, it can become much more complicated, especially when you start considering bandwidth issues, memory issues and so on. I'm wondering how, therefore, it can be know that "It's extremely easy, and not actually cost prohibitive at all?"

In any case, if one purchases a pre-built chat, as I suggested might be the case here, the more features the higher the cost -- a point I made earlier. AND if one has to design it in-house, isn't a major re-design a bit costly? Thus, in the end, it may be "easy" to do, but the cost may be a factor blocking it's implementation as well.

And as for moderating it, yeah, I agree that too may be a good reason to avoid too wide a chat.

AJ

able99

I think I maybe the only person here that against the idea.
When the proposed tab for universal/world chat is is selected, I cant imagine the amount of useless chatter that would come thru. Carrying on a conversation with a specific individual thru this chat format will be crazy. You'd have to keep searching for the next message thru all the random messages. btw, a conversation with any individual in your world is as already available.
It may make sense if the chat is limited to all discovered cities or cities that discovered you on your world map.
But having a party line type chat for the whole world is thumbs down from me.

ajqtrz

I think I maybe the only person here that against the idea.
When the proposed tab for universal/world chat is is selected, I cant imagine the amount of useless chatter that would come thru. Carrying on a conversation with a specific individual thru this chat format will be crazy. You'd have to keep searching for the next message thru all the random messages. btw, a conversation with any individual in your world is as already available.
It may make sense if the chat is limited to all discovered cities or cities that discovered you on your world map.
But having a party line type chat for the whole world is thumbs down from me.

I agree that it could be ridiculous and I'd probably not use it either. But we could both ignore it and not use it. Thus, if we didn't like it, we wouldn't have to use it. In that case those who would like it have access to it, and those, like us, who don't want it, wouldn't be forced to use it. A win-win for all, I think.

AJ

able99

I certainly would not use it and doubt INNO would even considerate it. But if they did, I would still be against the idea since money or development resources could better be used on a different and more useful project.

SoggyShorts

I cant imagine the amount of useless chatter that would come thru. Carrying on a conversation with a specific individual thru this chat format will be crazy
Have you ever played a game with a global chat?

In several other games with much more active player bases that I've tried, this isn't an issue. Have a look at discord servers for huge games, even there it isn't an issue. There are games with 50,000+ simultaneous players and there's no problem. I doubt any Elvenar world has more than a couple hundred at peak.

Any modern chat system would have multiple channels(tabs) such as
help, trade, guild recruitment, global chat 1-10 etc, and obviously whisper functions would return so it would be super simple to move a conversation and its participants from the main global chat to either a private one or just another open channel.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

I think you're making some optimistic assumptions here about what global chat would look like in Elvenar. I mean, take a look at our mail system...:rolleyes:
Indeed, my assumption was that they can't replace something from the stone age with anything from bronze or medieval because they couldn't find it.
No doubt they'd prove me wrong and dig something up that doesn't even reach 1997 AIM chat features.