• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Universal chat

OIM20

No doubt they'd prove me wrong and dig something up that doesn't even reach 1997 AIM chat features.
Yahoo chat from the earliest days.... Ah, I remember it well. Dial-up and pick the room, and watch the different names and the convo go back and forth for a bit before chiming in. And then you're watching the little window for that one name that you're talking to.

Of course, they also had what you've called "whisper", I think - a separate window would pop up if you wanted to talk to someone privately or one-on-one. I got propositioned a lot that way, though I frequently had to correct people on their gender assumption.

But that is one thing that Inno might be leery of implementing such a global system for (I don't think I said that right, but here goes anyway): I think it was Soggy who said somewhere recently that sometimes Elvenar gets advertised on adult-only sites. And when that happens there's an influx of inappropriate user names (I had one in Sinya that described a specific act, even). So it's possible that, this being a family game and having players under the age of 18 (I think? I'm positively ancient by teenager terms, which to those who don't have a teen in their household means "over thirty"), that the devs are concerned about policing a universal chat especially if they allow the use of functions that allow for communicating on a live channel privately. It's not the same as communicating in PMs. And though our FS chat retains so many messages, would the universal chat or even a more private live chat window be able to do the same?

What kind of load would retaining all of those messages put on the servers?

I'm bringing that up not because it can't be done, but because I don't know what Inno's servers are capable of handling as far as traffic and data retention. We already have problems with having to move the mouse cursor off of something then back onto it to get the right info. We already have problems we call "laggy". So it's a necessary question: would Inno's US servers be able to handle this kind of data consumption?

Fiona Selah

I agree with world chat, it is sorely needed, as fellowships are too small with only 25 players. I am often the only one on in my alliance.
hmmmmm, come join us in Outlander - we'll talk your ear off! Lol. Seriously not that bad but we do chat a lot and are always looking for friendly players :)

iamthouth

Tetris Master
I think it was Soggy who said somewhere recently that sometimes Elvenar gets advertised on adult-only sites. And when that happens there's an influx of inappropriate user names (I had one in Sinya that described a specific act, even). So it's possible that, this being a family game and having players under the age of 18 (I think? I'm positively ancient by teenager terms, which to those who don't have a teen in their household means "over thirty")

I don't know which sites it was advertised, but there was a game a decade ago that was famous for it's busty advertising of "Come Play my Lord" which was a city building/fighting game, and which did have 100 players in alliance and a good world chat.