• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Up to date tournament prep advice

satchmo33

Over the years, I have carefully bookmarked all of the different suggestion lists for what troops work best for auto-fight in each sort of tournament.

They differ wildly.

Is there somewhere out there( ....there.....ther.....the....) (meant to imitate an echo from out there in the universe...) a definitive advice list?
Thanks.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
The problem with most of the tourney fighting guides by type of tourney: they're outdated since the change in the tourney structure. They still apply to map province battles. The new tourney structure of 1 fight/province and always facing 5 enemy squads also includes a mix of enemy unit types that were not seen in the old structure. These fights are now more similar to the Spire fights, just with always only one wave.
They did, however, decide they'd make some enemy troops have a higher probability of appearing based on the tourney type after feedback received on beta. It remains possible to encounter one of each enemy unit type in any tourney battle, there is just a higher likelihood of certain enemy troops. While they never published any specifics, it has been determined that the enemy units more likely to appear in each tourney type are:

Marble: Heavy Melee
Steel: Mage
Planks: Light Range
Crystal: Mage & Heavy Ranged
Scroll: Light Ranged & Heavy Ranged
Silk: Light Melee & Heavy Melee
Elixir: Light Range, Light Melee & Heavy Melee
Magic Dust: Light Melee, Mage & Heavy Ranged
Gems: Light Melee, Heavy Ranged & Heavy Melee

Using that information, you can now anticipate which of your units will be in higher demand during a specific tourney type as well as which military boost bldgs will be most beneficial and when. It's also obvious that enemy unit types become more complicated between T1 (with one unit type highly likely), T2 (with 2 unit types highly likely) and T3 (with 3 unit types being highly likely).

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
They differ wildly.
I feel like it's going to be hard to have a catch-all guide on how to autofight. It's going to have variance because you have to account for early chapters not having access to certain troops or they do, but they're still wimpy and useless at level 1. For example, I generally prefer to use mages against heavy range, but if I have an early chapter city, I would lean on Vallorian Guards instead. Even regular Sorceress is not yet all that usable til she gets promoted, hence I'm the self-appointed President of of the Bud Sorceress Fan Club. Similarly, I also read a lot of late chapter cities favoring Frogs, but a 3* Frog is a bit different than the freebie 1* Frogs people might get from a Brown Bear/Witch Hut when they can't train them yet, or 1* Frog without a Toads wonder buffing it. Of course, buffing will greatly alter things and differ from player to player. Someone once told me, "You don't need to feed the Fire Phoenix if you drop enough buffs."

You can still use the map provinces as a guide to preview tourney, but just remember you will see Merc Camp units show up in the map encounters, but they won't be in Spire or Tourney encounters anymore. Expect the same class type to replace them. For example, there are no Frogs (heavy range) so they get replaced by Cannoneers, Steinlings, or Orc Deserters. Rangers get replaced by a light range, Thornrose Mage gets replaced by Abbot or Enchantress, and Droner Rider gets replaced by light melee.

Magic Dust: Light Melee, Mage & Heavy Ranged
Dreaded! I feel like when Dust Tourney rolls around, you could end up facing every class type, which is what makes this tourney so hard!

satchmo33

Thanks so much for all of the info, guys.

Sami, I do have your list.

And, crackie, I had no idea that there was a difference between trained frogs and witch hut frogs! That explains why sometimes they work so well and s'times they don't work at all. (here all the time I thought a frog was a frog was a frog)
(.....and, what's the "Chef" level here in the Forum? Whaddaya gonna cook for me?)

crackie

And, crackie, I had no idea that there was a difference between trained frogs and witch hut frogs! That explains why sometimes they work so well and s'times they don't work at all. (here all the time I thought a frog was a frog was a frog)
Haha, no that's not what I meant! I meant you have to be pretty far along to unlock Frogs to be able to train them yourself, and even further to get the promotion techs. Therefore, if you cannot train them yet and are getting them via buildings like Witch Hut/Brown Bear, then they would only be level 1 Frogs. If you are far enough along, those buildings will give you whatever level frogs you have them unlocked! A lot of people here love their Frogs, but they're also talking about level 3 Frogs. However, like a Golem has more punch than a Frog. So if an end chapter player is suggestion using Frogs in certain situations, well, a lot of players won't have them yet or only have the wimpier level 1 Frogs. Your mileage will greatly vary. You will have variance. They would be better off using a level 3 Golem that they might currently already have than using a Frog. That's just an example. Hence, it would be hard to have an all encapsulating suggestion of how to deal with certain enemy combos when people are all at different levels of available troops or buffing.
Whaddaya gonna cook for me?
Should we tell her?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
While there might be differences in guides the basics should be the same, for example I haven't seen a guide recommending LM be used to attack an enemy of only HM or HR troops. However that same group of HM troops will get a variety of responses in different guides regarding specific troops. Some will say go with LR others mage or more specific like blossoms, etc.

The basics of not what to throw at a fight are still underpin the tourny (the in-game hints are the same). But the random nature of the tournament means you need to be prepared for anything. When everything changed I came up with the below graphic (haven't gone back to revise/refresh it, if needed). This is more about preparation not fights and what a person prepares will vary based on a number of things, the 2 most critical are race and chapter. A chapter 4 town doesn't have merc camp so they have to prepare differently to a chapter 12 town, some towns dont even build merc camp and training grounds so that will impact prep as well.

1656883187595.png

In terms of a guide there are so many variations of what can be used. in a battle where LR should be used I am more inclined to use dryads while another person might recommend rangers. But for me I make dryads non-stop in training grounds, even if there is a better LR option the nature of my production makes them a better choice for my town. Then there is the situation of what you do when a counter unit is in the enemy makeup so HM mixed with LR, you could choose anything from mages to LR to HR but you wonders, temp boosters and province will all impact this decision. For example province 1 (even up to 6) I can pick anything and I will win but at province 20+ when the difficulty changes what you need is likely to change.

If you don't have the experience to know what to use often the best thing is a good fellowship with experienced fighters who you can ask for real-time advice. Knowing when to cater is also a key part to the tournaments now.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The chart provided is a good step, and useful for preparation. In autofighting I survey the types of troops and fill my slots with the best troop for the enemy in front of them. Which means, I aim at their center, left of center, right of center, far left, then far right. I'm not sure it's the best pattern but it does seem to have improved my troop victories.

The method I use has some caveats, but in general I work from the highest province I've done to the lowest. I do this because I usually pick a mercenary camp or training camp 5 star against it's opposite troop. Since that means I usually have two choices, I then look at the secondary enemies against my troops. So if in the center slot there is a heavy melee I have two choices, Blossom Mage or Poison Dryad. If, in another slot I see another heavy melee or heavy ranged, I pick the Blossom mage as it's secondary target is Heavy Melee. If I see mages I pick the Poison Dryad because it's secondary strength is mages. I then continue through the five enemies. As I said, though, there are some caveats.

First, about province 20, as I move down, I switch to Barrack troops as much as possible. This helps me maintain enough of the other troops for the next rounds.

Second, if I'm facing either dogs or the mist walker. If even one of those is present I choose with a little more care. In those cases I look for whatever is the "single" type (meaning the type that has only one) and ignore it, unless it is one of those, and shift to a more defensive posture. This means I may choose to use my Poison Dyads against heavy melee because they are at least even with mist walkers and that means I can survive better and use them against mist walker as well. For the dogs I generally don't use frogs but, instead, switch to my Gruff Orc Warriors. In other words, I adjust to handle what I've found are the most difficult for me.

Third, along the same lines I look at the heavy ranged. My Ghastly Banshees are supposed to be good against them, and are, but they also seem to be pretty weak. So I watch for things that can hurt them easily, especially dogs, and if the dogs are present I use Vallorians. Again, the point is, you have to adjust a bit in some circumstances.

Finally, if I'm running short on some needed troops, I find that by starting at the highest province (after the first round, of course) gives me a psychological advantage of feeling like things are getting easier (I know my troops don't have feelings, but I do and it encourages me to think I'm doing okay.) and since the provinces I've done the hardest and can afford to use troops that would get destroyed at the higher levels in place of the ones of which I am running short.

Fourth, if the number of troop types is low, (1 or 2) I consider using only one type against them as the AI seems to do better with fewer types.

So, for me, in the end, it's about making the best match you can and watching troop balances so that you have the troops for next week you need.

AJ

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
here's my catch all, definitive, one size fits all, never fails, auto fight method
save up a bunch of buff buildings
build 6 dwarven armorers
6 enlightened light range
6 magnificent mage multiplier
feed your fire chicken
throw in a couple of unleashed unit upgrades just for the heck of it

and go nuts

btw
i wish they would offer those other buildings again
i liked the one that upped my toad damage

satchmo33

:rolleyes: HA!!! (...actually am sick of 'talking' about this....but....) just for your laughing-at-dumb-satch pleasure;

In Sami's chart, I missed those ever-so-important words: "the ENEMY units more likely to appear". I've been using your chart for quite awhile now to prepare auto-fighter troops. So, I've been carefully amassing enemy troops instead of ANTI-enemy troops. arrrggghhh

Just printed out Mykan's chart. Thank you, Mykan.

crackie

:rolleyes: HA!!! (...actually am sick of 'talking' about this....but....) just for your laughing-at-dumb-satch pleasure;

In Sami's chart, I missed those ever-so-important words: "the ENEMY units more likely to appear". I've been using your chart for quite awhile now to prepare auto-fighter troops. So, I've been carefully amassing enemy troops instead of ANTI-enemy troops. arrrggghhh

Just printed out Mykan's chart. Thank you, Mykan.
I can make you some popcorn to take the sting off. Just don’t rub your eyes afterwards or you will have a new sting.