• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Upgrade Portal vs Research

able99

In Constructs, I have my Portal at level 2 and all production Islands at level1. I must decide whether to upgrade portal to level 3, or complete research for 1st Upgrade - Production Island. As a rule, I know it is better to upgrade Portal, and I am inclined to do that first, but am curious if anyone thinks the research should be done first.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I lean towards upgrading the portal first, as long as you have a group to trade KP into Ancient Wonders. Leveling your Wonders is one of the best gifts you can give yourself, especially if you can do it by trading instead of filling your own.

Yogi Dave

Upgrade the portal first. Once it's upgraded your portal profits have the greatest effect which can propel you through the chapter considerably faster. Also, with so many production islands, upgrading them all will take a much longer time. It's also very important to arrange your ports to maximize their links since that increases their production more than upgrading the portal does.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Upgrade the portal first. Once it's upgraded your portal profits have the greatest effect which can propel you through the chapter considerably faster. Also, with so many production islands, upgrading them all will take a much longer time. It's also very important to arrange your ports to maximize their links since that increases their production more than upgrading the portal does.

In general portal first but doing a few reseaches in the meantime wont set you back much.

It becomes a different game when portal profits come into play, then follow Yogi's advise, portal above all.

able99

Thank you all. I agree, and opted to go with upgrading Portal to Level 2 before activating research to upgrade islands. I was disappointed that although the storage capacity increased, upgrading the Portal did no significantly increase the amount of Humanium and Elvarium I could produce per cycle.
Now I am facing the option to upgrade the Portal again to level 3 costing 1120 each of the Humaniun and Elvariun, vs 500 each to complete research. The Islands only produce about 20 units per cycle. I could use Portal Profits (but only using at lvl 2 not lvl 4)
I have about 250 each right now, and when I get to the 500 I plan to activate research this time rather than continuing producing the slow way to 1120. Any comments on this. I would appreciate wiser peoples thoughts and advice. I wish Elvengems completed all the math on this, but nothing there yet.
btw, I have most islands with maximum connections, but really need 2 more expansions to arrange everything optimally.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
You'll eventually need to have the portal at level four to finish the chapter. My preference (in all chapters) is to focus on wonders and ignore all but the minimum required research until the portal is level 4

Last edited:

able99

Interesting. You are suggesting I ignore research and continue producing Humanium and Elvarium at current rate till I get portal to 4. Just put all kp to AW's. I suspect you are right and it maybe quickest way thru chapter. I'd like to get thru efficiently, but I think its not a fun way to go. I have a few days to think about it, before I commit, but inclined to activate research, so I can mix it up a little.
Ashrem, I am sure you are right. I will need same resources to upgrade portal or upgrade islands. And once portal is at level 4 the portal profits will generate tons of Humanium and Elvarium. I fear I will get bored on this approach and either burn some smaller portal profits early, or just activate the research just to have something else to do.
I know chapter and next chapter will take a good amount of time, but still getting closer to end of game (untill new chapter is released) so I am not sure speed is what I am after. Still have to have fun playing. I dont know what I will do. I'm really torn.
Thanks for advice...

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Some advantages to focusing on Ancient Wonder levelling (aside from their obvious affects) is that:
  • (assuming you have a group to trade KP with) you maximize the KP returned from chests, and
  • every level of a wonder gets you your Main-Hall level of extra Seeds every time you collect from your Trader. If you can collect 4 times per day, one level gets you an extra 120 or so seeds per day (assuming level 30 MH)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Also: If you have some unused Teleports, Stopping progress to focus on AWs lets you port-out some of those buildings to make extra space for an event or adventure.

able99

We do utilize KP chains to help each other with AW's, but it is vollentery and only 6 or 7 members participate. If INNO ever got around to allowing mobile users to donate to other members AW's, more would get involved. Not ideal but that is what we have.
I do not know what you mean by AW Levelling. Do you mean all AW's are upgraded to same level? If so I never knew there was a benefit to doing that. I would work on one at a time to get benefit I needed, My AWs are all at different levels, partly due to age and partly because I'd focus on benefit I needed.
Can you explain more about levelling. Thanks.

able99

I lean towards upgrading the portal first, as long as you have a group to trade KP into Ancient Wonders. Leveling your Wonders is one of the best gifts you can give yourself, especially if you can do it by trading instead of filling your own.
btw, I am convinced, I will delay activating research till Portal is at lvl 4. No doubt you are right. :)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Levelling is just a shortcut for upgrading to a new level. There is no benefit to keeping them ast the same level, although if your goal is seeds, the greatest return for the fewest KPs come from lower levels, as they cost fewer KP.