• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Using Portal Profits

DeletedUser9601

Thinking about doing some math on when these spells are the best to use, and wanted to see if people have given this thought:
1. Wait until level 4 portals - more portal capacity means more goods from each spell.
2. Use right away to power-level portals - portal at level 4 for longer means more overall goods.
3. Use to unlock key techs.
4. Other/combo?

#3 is very situational. I am envisioning a tech that either (a) really boosts your city [like a residence upgrade] and/or unlocks 4-5 other techs to fill [if you don't want to be tech-locked and fill AWs]. I could see this being Sentient Good/Tier Factory upgrades, a prestige building tech that would let you upgrade lots of traps/golds, or something like that. My gut says that it would be rare, though.

#2 This will be the hard math, and the way I'd think of it is two ways:
First, for "regular guest races" assuming that you have an ElvenGems recommended build. Then trying to figure out the per-day production (and aggregate production) based on total goods required for a particular chapter.
Second, for "limited space races," like S&D and Amuni where a portal upgrade unlocks not only more productivity, but also more buildings that produce goods.

Complicating matters, as I think @SoggyShorts pointed out, is that with path #1, you might now have enough spells/goods to then delete all or most of your guest race buildings. So how do you value the extra space in your city now? I think the comparison then can only be "fastest way to produce required guest race goods," because you're either getting free city space at the front end or the back end.

Every chapter will also have complicating matters. For instance, mana/seed costs for techs, gold/supplies/tier goods for portal upgrades. There's no good reason to power-level a portal with guest race goods if you are stuck waiting 2-3 days per upgrade for sentient goods, for instance.

Thoughts?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Your final point I believe is the most important. If you now have a way to remove or reduce the guest race goods bottleneck, then it's everything else that matters. Basically, I think the best time to use them is to avoid tech lock- there are enough KP packs for wonders and downtime between chapters that you shouldn't need to place hourly KP into wonders during a guest race.

The interesting part is that you may be able to avoid all tech locks, but how far should you push it?
Not enough Guest race goods? Portal Profit.
Not enough Mana? Drop a bunch of spells to get it from your Dragon Abbey.
Not enough Sentient goods? Use some instants on factories +MM spells.
Not enough KP? Clear provinces/buy it.

Not enough seeds? There it is-- So far there is no way to get instant seeds, making this the unskippable bottleneck.

DeletedUser9601

The interesting part is that you may be able to avoid all tech locks, but how far should you push it?
Let's go one step further. Assuming you could win 10 or even 15 Portal Profit buildings, and you enter Chapter 14 with 250 of these spells. Have you completely trivialized the guest race mechanic (likely yes)? And are you indirectly making the game less fun for yourself?

SoggyShorts

Ummhmm. A serious issue. Thankfully the set buildings are much better now, giving us a viable alternative.
Would you rather complete a guest race in 1 month (rather than 2) or
Produce an extra 2 max level T3 worth of goods year round?

I do hope that the Developers have a grand idea for some sort of endgame though since they have been making the game faster and easier with each update.
Having the top 5% of fast/old players at the end of the tech tree is fine, but 20%? 40%? Perhaps there is enough new blood to make that impossible, but then look just at raw numbers instead of percent: It's OK to have 400 players waiting, but 4,000? 40,000?

DeletedUser9601

I do hope that the Developers have a grand idea for some sort of endgame though since they have been making the game faster and easier with each update.
Agreed. Participation in events and tournaments, plus an active FS means that the hardest part of guest races seems to be taking the plunge and deleting buildings you "need" to make space. I haven't hit "endgame yet," but I will with Amuni. I am sure I'll enjoy "endgame" for at least a few months, but if its my third or fourth time waiting for a new race, I might feel differently.

It is nice that events are now providing multiple "good" paths. In past events, I've felt like there's one "right" way to get prizes to make your city the best (e.g., Winter Set of mana fountains; Spring daily prize mana buildings; Summer daily prize mana/seed buildings). Here, the Day Set is appealing; I expect there will be decent mana/seed buildings. And now with the expiring buildings, you could just focus on Wishing Wells and Portal Profits.

SoggyShorts

I am sure I'll enjoy "endgame" for at least a few months, but if its my third or fourth time waiting for a new race, I might feel differently.
I waited around 2 months for 12 and 7 months for 13.
As you said, events and tournament plus FS keeps you interested, but those in-between times with no event or tournament don't leave much motivation for logging in.

Back to Portal Profit talk:
Amuni needed 7.5x Portal cap to complete the chapter, but wood elves only needed 3x portal. So if you are in chapter 8, and grab 3 trading posts, then you can basically skip chapter 9.

Now I wish I had a small chapter 5 city. 4 events per year = maybe 40 trading posts = more than enough Portal Profits to never build a guest race building other than the portal.
It would be like playing the game with 17 extra expansions.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

oooh I forgot about ranking player(as I mostly do;)).
Wouldn't it make sense for those who care about rank and are at the end game to go 100% for trading posts/portal profits?

I mean event buildings give no points, making basically everything else useless for them, and not keeping ~20 expansions open for guest races means they can fill their city with even more rank junk, right?

DeletedUser9601

Now I wish I had a small chapter 5 city. 4 events per year = maybe 40 trading posts = more than enough Portal Profits to never build a guest race building other than the portal.
It would be like playing the game with 17 extra expansions.
Amen. I have a city that's about 1/3rd through Dwarves. I've let idle for a few months, since I just got tired of 2x visits; 2x tournaments; 2x collections, etc., all knowing that my reward at the end of the tunnel was a second trip through Orcs & Goblins. I might re-start that city for this event, knowing that I can skip a huge portion of O&G with these spells.

HJK84

My suggestion for newer players who aren't in the later Chapters;
  • Use the Portal Profit, if you're in a rush for X reason(s)
  • Use the Portal Profit, when Event is near (you plan on completing) you want to get to next Chapter asap for better quality Event Building Stats
  • ^ My opinion use it for the last Tech, which usually is the one that requires the most GR Goods and once there, your Portal should be max lvl
The opinions above are good also. But... since I can't comment on Amuni and so forth, I just don't know :oops:

Also, I'm guessing this will be given out, similar to Coin Rain, Supply Windfall, etc?

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I came so close to using it when it appeared. Then it occurred to me that for the event I am probably going to have to do research for all of the Research OR Upgrade in the event. Now I'm going to hold on to it for those research. Since I'm using where I need to put a pyramid for level 1 buildings for the event, I'm thinking I will probably max out Amuni goods anyway. That would have been a big waste of the instant!

DeletedUser9601

I came so close to using it when it appeared. Then it occurred to me that for the event I am probably going to have to do research for all of the Research OR Upgrade in the event. Now I'm going to hold on to it for those research. Since I'm using where I need to put a pyramid for level 1 buildings for the event, I'm thinking I will probably max out Amuni goods anyway. That would have been a big waste of the instant!
I might hold it in reserve for a "research a tech" quest, since I may not get my "level up" building to level 12 by Thursday.

DeletedUser9247

New instant came in a perfect time for me. I've used it immediately since I was looking at 2 days of essence gathering for a tech I had everything else for. Now I'm looking at unlocking last elementals tech today and with the tourney KP that may very well turn into being able to finish the chapter before the event! Best use of an instant evah!

DeletedUser9601

Looks like the Trading Post shows up on Oct 4. Kind of stinks since its early on, so you really need to power through some quests to have enough rolls. Unclear if it shows up twice (I tend to assume not - given all the other daily prizes needed to be worked in).

DeletedUser9601

One last bump before tomorrow. Curious what % of splinters folks are devoting to this building. I just finished the main quest line, so I should have about 3.4K splinters. That would equal 9ish buildings, which could either be complete overkill or really awesome in chapter 14. Can't decide, especially without knowing that there's a mana hut day or something similar down the road...

SoggyShorts

I'm probably just keeping enough splinters for the krarak shrine. Since I need the double days it will be a moving target based on how many free rolls I get.
I will recalculate a few times as I roll.
The other double day prizes don't excite me much-- I have a lot of instants in the bank, seed and mana production is done with the festivals, mana huts, and dragon abbey, also those do nothing for you between chapters so the space used is a bit irritating.

Last edited:

rvtdragon1

I am near the end of Dwarves chapter. Will NOT finish by later today (darn Granite). If I win the Trading post and start to produce instants I know I can use them on Dwarves. But, if the building is placed and starts to produce instants will they only be good for Dwarves or when I am able to move on to Fairies will they work for that as well. So, I guess, are the instants produced specific to chapter made or can they be used on any future Guest race?

DeletedUser9601

I'm probably just keeping enough splinters for the krarak shrine. Since I need the double days it will be a moving target based on how many free rolls I get.
I will recalculate a few times as I roll.
The other double day prizes don't excite me much-- I have a lot of instants in the bank, seed and mana production is done with the festivals, mana huts, and dragon abbey, also those do nothing for you between chapters so the space used is a bit irritating.
If you can time it, there's a 2-hour difference between double day and the change-over in the daily prize.
So today at 6pm Eastern (my time), I can start getting Trading Posts, but the alert in the corner of the screen shows Double Flares until 8pm Eastern.

Might be a bug that gets fixed, but if not, best of both worlds IMO!