• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Venom Drone Rider

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Time for me to decide whether to produce 5000 Venom Drone Riders for Amuni quest #59. What do players think of the Venom Drone Rider in Human cities? I'm thinking troops are not of equal value elves vs humans from what I have read here. I got feedback from a FS member who has an elf city but mine is human.

Asked this in other conversation but no answers. I'm just hoping to find someone on the forum who has made it to these troops and has a human city.

DeletedUser9601

I'm in an elf city and admittedly haven't unlocked the drone rider, so I'm basing this off the Faineant Frog promotion and the poison dryad.
Two things outside of the analysis though: 1. its an easy quest. 5,000 units is less than a day of production, and if you're going to do the Amuni quests at all, this one is much less onerous than a lot of the others, so it would be silly to stop here. 2. even if the units aren't "great," any unit at this point is decent Round 1-2 tourney fodder. So I think doing the quest is a no brainer.

Pros:
-These troops are VERY sturdy for light melee. They hit twice as hard as axemen, and have twice the health. They also have a higher initiative AND move 1 step further.
-Usually the "most technologically advanced" shared unit is your best bet. I'm finding the Frog to be very powerful once I hit the tech upgrade; same for the dryad. I didn't expect them to perform as well as they did.

Cons:
-No protection against mages, and not a ton of bonus damage. Not ideal if you hope to avoid attrition. The same can be said for Cerberus vs Light Range, but I find Mages to be a priority in every fight. Their damage plus debuffs is usually too painful to ignore.
-I generally don't use Drone Riders anyways. Let's look at the tourneys where Light Ranged is the primary unit:
Planks (secondary unit Light Melee, counter unit Heavy Ranged);
Scrolls (secondary unit Mage, counter unit Heavy Ranged).

Planks, I'm more likely to use Heavy Ranged, since I'll get bonuses against the primary unit and secondary unit, and be neutral to the counter (if I send Drones, I'd get bonuses to primary, neutral to secondary, and weak to the counter - not ideal). So that's one tourney that's right out for getting lots of use out of Drone Riders.
Scrolls, I'm more likely to use Cerberus or Mage, depending on the enemy comp. For mostly mage fights, I prefer Cerberus for its absurd movement range and ability to one-shot abotts - with its range, its rare that my units aren't able to attack in Round 1. With Drone Rider its likely they will have 1 round of just taking damage. For mostly heavy ranged fights or for fights with a mix of all 3, I'm probably sending my Heavy Ranged. They have much higher health, and they'll suffer more damage, but likely won't lose outright.

So maybe I'll build a bunch and test them out in Scrolls to see whether the attrition works in their favor. But even then, I'm only focusing them on probably half of the fights of one tournament?

Thoughts?

DeletedUser9601

I'm thinking troops are not of equal value elves vs humans from what I have read here. I got feedback from a FS member who has an elf city but mine is human.
Also, that is only true for certain troop types. For Light Melee and Light Ranged, the human and elf units are basically the same. So its a similar point of comparison when you're looking at Merc Camp or Training Ground units.
For mage and Heavy Ranged (and Heavy Melee to a lesser extent), the elf units fundamentally differ from the human units. So if you're comparing one of those units to its Training Ground equivalent, then knowing whether the starting point is human or elf is much more important.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Wow! Thanks @Tedious :D That is one heck of a thorough analysis! And, of course you are correct. I need to look at it from the angle where any free troops is a good thing :cool:

Adding, the reason I asked is because the train 5000 + scout 2 provinces is the only quest I show we can decline