• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Weather Witching Thread (or Whichever Witching Warranted)

• Thread starter DeletedUser20951
  • Start date

DeletedUser20951

A common thing to complain about is the weather, often as a small talk way of breaking the ice or finding anything to fill in the silence, but complaining, itself, serves an admirable purpose in most cases. It allows, when not directed maliciously at another in an attempt to cause harm, a rather benign release of resentment by the process of formulating coherent thoughts on the matter and then sharing them with somebody, or, in other words, "doing something about it" besides remaining mum on a subject, which increases feelings of isolation and powerlessness. Of course, for those who struggle with fixation, excessive, circular complaining can be an issue, but I still believe it is an act that is principally beneficial and why I frequently defend the right to voice complaints. Sure, looking on the bright side has its own perks, but when you're annoyed, mainly you just want to vent that annoyance, not be told to pipe down like some errant, idiot child that doesn't know any better.

In this vein, I'm creating this thread as an outlet for airing grievances, no matter how small, that one might have the urge to witch about. If you're like me (the horror!), you are well familiar with the magic of articulating that which shoves pins under your mental nails and dragging it out into the light to be drawn and quartered, too, where once addressed, the strength of the irritation dwindles, even blessedly disappearing entirely... until the next teeny stab occurs.

...And because I can't seem to be constant in anything, I can't actually think of something to complain about, presently, as the weather's been great, instead of the sweltering hellscape that was wrought upon this area last year. As soon as it hits the nineties, though, MY WRATH FOR THE HEAT SHALL KNOW NO BOUNDS.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
In the long run it annoys me when people think their passion should equal my persuasion. How many times have I had a person tell me, passionately, they believe in this or that and then, in the next moment, get mad because I disagree with them. They seem to think that their emotions should be my emotions and thus, if they are passionately convinced of something, once they display their passion, I should instantly be convinced of the same. But of course, their passions are not mine. Sigh.

In the long run if you found your belief system on passion you found it on sand that can shift. Passion flows best when it flows from a long and careful understanding of problem/position. If your heart is convinced without your head, you have little to go on even if your heart is right. Only when your mind is fully engaged and thoughtfully convinced do yo have a chance to convince someone that your passion should be also be theirs.

AJ

DeletedUser20951

Now, I don't know if this is a widespread phenomenon or not, but for the last few years, a change has occurred. A change I am NOT pleased with. Something I see as sloppy and unnecessary... and that's with my bank's ATM machines. What in the ever loving mother deal is with the cash not being put in uniformly? Each time I've withdrawn money, the bills have been randomly upside down and facing wrong-side up. This should not be. I have to sit there and fuss it into the correct arrangement before it goes into my wallet, eyes-forward and in proper descending order, and dear Gods, the inhumanity!

Gath Of Baal

Now, I don't know if this is a widespread phenomenon or not, but for the last few years, a change has occurred. A change I am NOT pleased with. Something I see as sloppy and unnecessary... and that's with my bank's ATM machines. What in the ever loving mother deal is with the cash not being put in uniformly? Each time I've withdrawn money, the bills have been randomly upside down and facing wrong-side up. This should not be. I have to sit there and fuss it into the correct arrangement before it goes into my wallet, eyes-forward and in proper descending order, and dear Gods, the inhumanity!

LoL, this is my thing too, I cant move from the spot until all my cash is facing the right way and in order from lowest to highest denomination. I once had a lady in line behind me at the check out counter of the grocery store clear her throat and stomp her foot several times as I stood there rearranging my money to put in my wallet, so I turned to her and told her she should have been faster then me getting to the check out counter if she was in that much of a hurry

DeletedUser20951

I once had a lady in line behind me at the check out counter of the grocery store clear her throat and stomp her foot several times as I stood there rearranging my money to put in my wallet
Dude! Sorting your change is already a stressful endeavor, and being rushed to get it done quicker is not cool. I'll admit to pulling the awkward grab the cash and step out of the way to arrange maneuver when someone's behind me in line, but I'm conscientious to the point of absurdity in person and don't actually feel it's necessary. Pressuring another, though? ALWAYS RUDE. Nice comeback!

Vergazi

Dude! Sorting your change is already a stressful endeavor, and being rushed to get it done quicker is not cool.
This might make you cringe, but often...when i get change, I'll just stuff it all in my pocket and get out of the way of the next person in line. Sure, I'll pause long enough to make sure I got the correct change because checkers these days don't know how to hand over change ( by counting it out as they hand it over ), but plenty of time later to straighten it out. If it makes you feel better, when i counted drawers in a shift manager gig i had once I always straightened out the cash perfectly.

DeletedUser20951

Sure, I'll pause long enough to make sure I got the correct change because checkers these days don't know how to hand over change ( by counting it out as they hand it over )
...I'm becoming more and more convinced that the majority of checkers can't count, in general. XD This coming from significantly arithmetically-challenged me is quite quaint, but I do believe if it's in your job description, you should be able to handle it. I've had several cashier positions, but being cognizant of my mathematical shortcomings, I compensated with extra diligence and never had an issue with my till.
If it makes you feel better, when i counted drawers in a shift manager gig i had once I always straightened out the cash perfectly.
Yes! YES, IT DOES. You righted wrongs in the world with this act of scrupulous tidying!

DeletedUser20951

Ah, neatness. I am a stickler for neatness. If I am ever forced to endure having a roommate again, I will no doubt eventually wind up in jail for their murder. Every, single, thing has a home, a spot, a rightful place. I can tolerate messiness when it doesn't directly impact me on a regular basis, but in my work area, storage, and home? Everything. Must. Be. Where. It. Should. Be. I've never lost anything (that I am aware of), and I know exactly where whatever I need is whenever I need it. Almost nothing makes me more instantly cranky than when I have to hunt and search and scavenge before I can even begin a task. Also, it's apparently good for your state of mind, orderliness? Think I've read that somewhere.

DeletedUser20951

This is a more important criticism, but distracted, careless drivers drive me nutty. It is never far from my mind when I am operating a vehicle that if I done screw up, I could cause someone's death, and how cavalier, likely due to people driving often with no incident and gaining a false sense of security, most are in this respect is almost beyond my capability to comprehend. I refuse to ride with anybody who texts, speeds, blares music, takes their eyes off of the roads constantly, or performs any of the numerous unsafe actions regarding the control of a potentially deadly machine. While the possibility of mortality and significant injuries with lifelong impairments is my chief concern, I also consider the mundane repercussions, such the derailing of current plans, the cost of repairs, the car insurance rate hikes, and so on and so forth. I take my driving responsibilities very seriously.

DeletedUser20951

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190715-how-to-escape-the-hyperactive-hivemind-of-modern-work

I occasionally have the sneaking suspicion that multitaskers were placed upon the earth solely to annoy the Hells out of me. Whether this is a rational assumption is debatable, but no matter the cause, the effect is the same. They do, they annoy me so much, and in so many wa- Wait, really just in three ways. It results in distraction that can be dangerous, renders conversation with such individuals redundant (ofttimes, completely useless in terms of conveying info that sticks), and, where it draws my ire with the greatest frequency, generates mistakes by coworkers that necessitates additional effort to mend.

It also is a methodology that collides jarringly with my own personal preference, in that I don't fully understand doing much of anything that isn't deserving of my undivided attention. If you are not focused on a single activity, you do not retain information in its entirety (you usually don't anyway, but even less is captured with half a mind present), your memories are fragmented, and enjoyment is dulled by the stress of your brain trying to keep up with the bombardment. A lot of my aversion to seeking out scattered concentration is no doubt due to not being neurotypical, where my threshold for becoming mentally overstimulated is quite low in comparison to the average person (I have to regularly employ selective focus) and I am excessively sensitive to how I am affected, but it is still obvious as to how it alters the behavior and cognitive ability of others. I do recognize the contributing factors involved, though; the addicting nature of constant gratification (even if it's akin to a snake eating its own tail), the force of habit and escalating highs, the societal pressure of fitting in with what everybody else is doing, and the ease in which perpetual entertainment in now at our fingertips and hard to resist. Yes, I get it, but I want it far, far away from me (wishful thinking).

The Unbeliever

@Nonchalant Antipathy: It's simple really, driving a car these days is seen entirely as every idiot's God-given right of birth, instead of the very real privilege that must be earned & respected that it actually is.
'typical young motorist of today' = yeah, you're only driving 200 tons of crazy-fast murder machine - go answer that cell blaring Taylor Shift's sweet, sweet vibs, while building a cabin out of Lincon Logs in your backseat, while going 40+ clicks over the posted limit through a school zone at dismissal! What could possibly go wrong?!
(and no, that's not entirely made-up either... being friends with cops & firefighters can be, erm, hilarious & horrifying :p)

The biggest things that grind my gears on a daily basis?
1. I. HATE. SUMMER!!!
Currently it's a whopping 33, feeling 46! outside!! I'm sorry, but this is gakking death... when I'm roasting a chicken on my driveway instead of in the oven, it's too bloody hot!

2. SWJ's and our Progressive overlords.
There is no discussing anything these days, as invariably, anyone who self identifies as 'progressive' will just end up invoking Godwyn's Law within about 3 or 4 sentences.
ie: if you don't agree entirely with my narrow opinion, than you are/worse than Adolf Hitler

DeletedUser20951

instead of the very real privilege that must be earned & respected that it actually is.
YES! Yes, yes, yes, YESyesyesyes- *falls into fit of agreement apoplexy*
1. I. HATE. SUMMER!!!
I can't stand being overheated, and thus I, too, hate summer more than can adequately be put into words. Supposed to get into the nineties tomorrow (I have a very narrow understanding of Celsius degrees, but I suspect what you stated is high and I commiserate, regardless) AND I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE.
anyone who self identifies as 'progressive' will just end up invoking Godwyn's Law within about 3 or 4 sentences.
I don't know what that law is, but I'm a progressive. *waves cheekily* Of course, not only do conservatives tend to hate me, although I am fairly conservative fiscally, but other liberals are frequently ticked off at the fact that I have no compunction with ripping into their more idiotic ideas instead of mindlessly following their decree. My political party isn't decided by partisanship, but because it aligns the most with my values, which is sickeningly rare these days.

The Unbeliever

Godwyn's Law is basically the notion that any debate between two opposing view points will invariably end with one side calling the other a Nazi/Adolf Hitler.
It used to be fairly rare, but nowadays, it's basically the battle cry of every self-styled 'progressive' leader and it seems, 99% or so of social studies/poli-sciences students out there.

ie:
- average person says that they would prefer legal, merit-based immigration vs. 'open borders' that just allows everyone and anyone to show up and cross into the country, and thus take advantage of our generous systems.

- 'progressive response' calls out the above person as being anit-immigrant and an alt-right neo-Nazi supporter.

THAT'S Godwyn's Law in action! ;)
(and sadly, a very true occurrence these days. >.< )

DeletedUser20951

Godwyn's Law is basically the notion that any debate between two opposing view points will invariably end with one side calling the other a Nazi/Adolf Hitler.
Given that you started your complaint about this by calling all progressives by what is widely considered a derogatory description (I really don't mind being deemed a social justice warrior, because, if you look at the actual definition of social justice, we all are), I find the irony endlessly amusing, but I do appreciate the explanation, as it explains why I've so far managed to filter it out. I try to not grant credence to any stereotypes (easy to say, hard in practice). I regularly witness the phenomena happening with every side of a coin, though (as evidenced here).

The Unbeliever

Given that you started your complaint about this by calling all progressives by what is widely considered a derogatory description (I really don't mind being deemed a social justice warrior, because, if you look at the actual definition of social justice, we all are), I find the irony endlessly amusing, but I do appreciate the explanation, as it explains why I've so far managed to filter it out. I try to not grant credence to any stereotypes (easy to say, hard in practice). I regularly witness the phenomena happening with every side of a coin, though (as evidenced here).
It's more that the whole aspect of 'social justice' has been co-opted by the extreme ideologies nowadays...

For example, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being for social justice in general.
ie: women and men are equally capable, and/or being black/indigenous/Asian/white/etc... has no bearing on whether you're qualified for doing 'job X', etc...

Rather, it's the newest breeds of "Social Justice Warrior" who literally will fly off the handle at anything they perceive as being 'wrong' or 'racist'.
ie: a TV & repair store hires 3 white men and no 'women of colour', so that store owner is automatically branded as a white nationalist & racist by your typical modern SJW.
It doesn't matter that maybe no women of colour even applied, or else that the 3 people hired are all far more qualified, to the modern SJW, the simple fact that this store did not lower their standards, and go out of their way to hire X/Y/Z individuals makes that owner an evil person!

And the above isn't even a hypothetical either! We now have our uni's for example, who are aggressively lowering their basic requirements to get into many programs, (mainly in the maths & sciences), simply as a way to insert their chosen groups into these fields that have more traditionally been dominated by a few.
ie: what's more important, making sure you have 50 highly qualified engineers building your airplane, OR, that you must instead have X% of your engineers who are visible minorities & women build your plane just to satisfy the professional complainers?
Personally, as the person who ends up maybe flying on that airplane, I really, really, hope & expect that the company who produced did so using the very best people they could hire, since I prefer it not falling apart from under me!:p

When most people say they're fed up with SJW's nowadays, it's because of how we're at the point that saying things like 'mankind' is now "wrong" because it should be "peoplekind" because that's gender-neutral and inclusive.

DeletedUser20951

It's more that the whole aspect of 'social justice' has been co-opted by the extreme ideologies nowadays...
I believe that a great deal of causes have been taken over by the vocal extreme ideologists, at least in the obvious sense of it. Who do you notice the most? Those who stomp their feet and stir up a fuss, or the silent bulk of the population that go about their business and let their votes do the talking? It's not an accurate representation of the true composition of society, which is why I tend to ignore such unreasonable people and not help give them a platform of more worth than they actually possess.
Rather, it's the newest breeds of "Social Justice Warrior" who literally will fly off the handle at anything they perceive as being 'wrong' or 'racist'.
This immaturity isn't limited to only their ilk, and it's being encouraged as a reaction by social media, where polite, rational discourse doesn't generate the same attention. Anybody that flies off the handle at the drop of the hat without hearing the other side out is not looking for any sort of growth or understanding, they want to intimidate others into not questioning them, but this is a fact for every faction; if someone can't even tolerate the implication that what they've said or done is perhaps bigoted (we all have bigoted ideas), they are also not part of a solution for anything, but contribute to the problem of irrational response.
We now have our uni's for example, who are aggressively lowering their basic requirements to get into many programs, (mainly in the maths & sciences), simply as a way to insert their chosen groups into these fields that have more traditionally been dominated by a few.
The lowering of requirements doesn't just benefit minorities, but anybody that has been subjected to generational disenfranchisement, which, yes, is often minorities. What, exactly, has maintained the domination of certain fields by the few? Privilege, however you choose to define it. Not a perfect answer, but it does help those who would otherwise have no chance getting their foot in the door.
what's more important, making sure you have 50 highly qualified engineers building your airplane, OR, that you must instead have X% of your engineers who are visible minorities & women build your plane just to satisfy the professional complainers?
Everybody hired for any position should be qualified for it, but combating systemic discrimination in this manner is usually viewed as taking away from those who have long enjoyed a stranglehold on an industry. Is it more fair to allow nepotism, favoritism, biases, wealth, and personal connections to continue to facilitate the hiring process? In a flawless world, each person with be judged on their individual merit and that's it, but we're still far from achieving that.
When most people say they're fed up with SJW's nowadays, it's because of how we're at the point that saying things like 'mankind' is now "wrong" because it should be "peoplekind" because that's gender-neutral and inclusive.
Inclusion matters. It matters a lot. I find a simple thought experiment to be of use in understanding why. If your views and the categories you fit into are the traditionally accepted, how would you feel if they weren't? If you weren't allowed to freely practice your religion, marry the consenting adult that you wanted to, did not see people that look similar to you frequently in every aspect of your life (and represented without end in the media), and couldn't choose how you are identified (sir, ma'am, whatever)? Most that are against inclusion see it as an attack on the traditional, and while it is about shaking up the status quo, the aim is not to remove rights from anybody, but to give the same rights the majority already has, yet usually fails to notice due to having always had them, to all.

DeletedUser20951

Should NOT Be.jpg
Do you see anything wrong with the above layout, besides the masterwork I created with my aptitude equivalency of a third grader with MS Paint? This is the entrance of the most popular grocery in my city, which is a newish building (for here) that was designed from the ground up about a decade or so ago (very big deal in a rural area), while the old store was torn down (lot remains empty; normal for rural areas). Let that sink in... The (idiot) engineer(s) designed it this way intentionally in the current century. Was there even a momentary pause for consideration of people actually setting foot, repeatedly, in this place? Of their being forced to dodge incoming traffic while leaving, and vice versa? WAS ANY THOUGHT OF FUNCTIONALITY GIVEN AT ALL? You can't even point to how stores are specifically laid out in this day and age to make you wander through the entire building to reach the common staples of purchase, hoping to tempt into the buying of what is not needed. I can see nothing beneficial for the business, nor the customer. *sighs and shakes head* The marvels of modern design, indeed.

Oh, and the window-looking thingies are automatic parting doors and the triangles are swinging automatic ones, in case my depiction is confusing (it is, even to me, but I did try until I didn't feel like trying to make further sense).

DeletedUser20951

Well, just finished watching the final episode of Ash vs Evil Dead, AND NOW I FEEL DEAD INSIDE WITH DISAPPOINTMENT THAT IT WAS NOT RENEWED FOR A FOURTH SEASON. Fate is a wretched deadite mistress! I know I should be grateful for the crazy ride I was allowed to delight in of outrageously obscene, crude, hilariously grotesque, brilliantly horrific satire at its finest parodying self, and maybe I will be after I mourn the ending of this journey, but, in the present moment, sadness and loss are my sole companions. SORROW OVERWHELMING.

Also, watching several episodes a night for the last week, which is why I forwent any common sense regarding a reasonable amount of slumber, has had a strange effect on my psyche, and not simply from the increased sleep deprivation (I think). I haven't yet identified exactly how, but my brain is definitely operating differently from normal.

HAIL TO THE KING, BABY. *wails*

*wanders back in and snaps fingers* Think I pinned it down. Irreverence. I have entered into a state of optimal irreverence, having experienced an extensive crash course of desensitization to the offensive, and even in my grief, the contemptible is sliding off of me with greater ease than usual, like water off of a duck's feathers. Here's hoping it'll hang around a while. *crosses fingers with stern concentration and begins chanting in Sumerian*

Last edited by a moderator:

Vergazi

Do you see anything wrong with the above layout, besides the masterwork I created with my aptitude equivalency of a third grader with MS Paint? This is the entrance of the most popular grocery in my city, which is a newish building (for here) that was designed from the ground up about a decade or so ago (very big deal in a rural area), while the old store was torn down (lot remains empty; normal for rural areas). Let that sink in... The (idiot) engineer(s) designed it this way intentionally in the current century. Was there even a momentary pause for consideration of people actually setting foot, repeatedly, in this place? Of their being forced to dodge incoming traffic while leaving, and vice versa? WAS ANY THOUGHT OF FUNCTIONALITY GIVEN AT ALL? You can't even point to how stores are specifically laid out in this day and age to make you wander through the entire building to reach the common staples of purchase, hoping to tempt into the buying of what is not needed. I can see nothing beneficial for the business, nor the customer. *sighs and shakes head* The marvels of modern design, indeed.

Oh, and the window-looking thingies are automatic parting doors and the triangles are swinging automatic ones, in case my depiction is confusing (it is, even to me, but I did try until I didn't feel like trying to make further sense).
I thought it was a surgical diagram for a mushroom alien