• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Weekly Local News Update

Communication: Weekly Local News Update Implementation

• IN FAVOR

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • NO IN FAVOR

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
A weekly local news update would be cool. i.e. (using American spelling to avoid confusion):

This week in your discovered provinces:
The following neighbors moved away
  • SoggyShorts, ChocolateCake, SparklyDonuts
The following neighbors started new cities or moved in from far away
  • Frutloop, KungPaoChicken, CanadaDry
The following neighbors got a badge for their spire participation
  • CanadaDry, Saxel, WolfSinger, ShimmerFly
The following neighbors scored in the top hundred in this week's fellowship tournaments
  • SoggyShorts, TomatoHue, SirSquirrel
The following neighbors had Guest Portals appear in their city this week
  • Kitariel - Dwarves
  • OminusSpirtus - Orcs
  • ShimmerFly - Constructs
etc.

Note: Neighbor names would ideally be "linked," for easy visiting to check them out.

I imagined it turning up in the "News" feed that is so sometiems underused. If it had a standardized icon showing, it would be easy enough to ignore for those uninterested.

1583759638293.png

Pros: Increasing awareness of neighbors builds a sense of community, and the positive gains from participating in fellowships. Can lead to friendly rivalry between neighbors, driving participation in activities and fellowships.

cons: Possibly Probably substantial programming effort.

Last edited:

AtaguS

Yes to this.
I try to support new cities that show up in the neighborhood in the hopes they'll stick around long enough to join a fs and keep playing. A strong neighborhood means a stronger city for me. With so many neighbors now, the task has become a chore and and mobile play means I don't even have to get to know them anymore. A new way to keep this contact alive would be a benefit to everyone and...who knows...some of those early-abandoned cities might just stick around with that type of contact from their neighbors.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
You can see the top 100 players by going to ElvenStats.com and look under Tournaments :)
But would you necessarily recognize if one of those top 100 players has recently moved into your neighbourhood? This is aimed at telling you what's happening in your explored map, to make it easier to decide if you want to start visiting them or interacting in some way. It creates a sense of community and likely increases player retention.

Yogi Dave

+1 This is a very good idea to increase the social aspect of neighborhoods and encourage new players. I don't see any drawbacks to it. It does sound like it would take a substantial programming effort, but since one of its purposes is to help retain new players, that effort might be well worth it. After all, it's the new players who will grow into diamond purchasers.

shimmerfly

Would this appear on our screens in game? Since there are many worlds I'm guessing a pop up in our individual cities. who would keep track and how?
I know nothing abut programmng.
I still like the idea and feel it would improve neighborhood relations.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Would this appear on our screens in game? Since there are many worlds I'm guessing a pop up in our individual cities. who would keep track and how?
I know nothing abut programmng.
I still like the idea and feel it would improve neighborhood relations.
I imagined it turning up in the "News" feed that is so often underused. If it had a standardized icon showing, it would be easy enough to ignore (like I do anything that mentions Facebook or Instagram
1583697289527.png

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
I actually like this idea for the future, may I propose adding more thoughtful pros to make the developers time worthwhile? It is very important to remember that Innogames is a business, there need to be more reasons beyond it will increase the sense of community and activities. What you are proposing is a completely new feature that will require a great deal of coding. There will need a new database created (if they do not have already), thus more server space. There will be separate codings required for each of the bolded categories above, each requiring sub-sections as well. I am not a programmer, but I do see a lot of little things that will need to happen.

But for sure it will be a great addition to the growth of elvenar down the line.

NightshadeCS

Well, the #1 PRO I can see is player retention. Feeling part of a community is the reason I spend more time than I should on this game. The more time you spend playing, the better the chances are that you will spend money, I should think (on average...the exceptions prove the rule!).

Byproduct PRO: new people that receive a lot of aid may be able to count also on increased KP donations to their AWs. If I was notified that player X had just gotten into Woodelves, I may stop by to see if they had built one of their new AWs and drop some KP in to help (and receive rewards on those quick upgrades). Player X may then place more AWs since they get so much friendly help, which are big space-eaters (even though valuable), and then may need to buy diamonds for expansions.

: )

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
This is something that looks interesting still all around @Ashrem , are you looking to have it pushed for polling? I am asking due to your last post here, and I did not received a tag to open a poll.

Xelenia