• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What, exactly, is the tournament formula? It's got to be here somewhere but I cannot find it???

KonTiki

lol Well that certainly is a prerequisite. I'm wondering about the formula that factors in chapter, expansions, total AW levels, boost %

KonTiki

@laypo -- thank you for that link. I did find the excel spreadsheet, but the link you provided gives a little more information. Thank You!!!

KonTiki

It would be nice to know the relative importance of the different city advancement components, but as you say, Inno isn't talking. The information on this page is greatly appreciated and thanks to the authors of min-max.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
It would be nice to know the relative importance of the different city advancement components, but as you say, Inno isn't talking. The information on this page is greatly appreciated and thanks to the authors of min-max.

Specifically, it was @MinMax Gamer , who does not seem to come to the forums any more, or at least not under that name, as his active cities are in another name, and a bunch of us here and on the Beta forum who helped him test out the variables and what each may be worth. And they do vary as you advance in the game. When he was still working it out, and I was helping, I saw how an AW level or an expansion increased from chapter to chapter in how much they added to your Spire and tournament squad sizes. But I am sure all those details are on his website.

KonTiki

So, my understanding is the following ... in general ... I welcome any and all corrections of my misinterpretations.
1623623222433.png

Gkyr

Chef
Overall, my opinion: Players either maximize their manufactories to convince and negotiate their way through the Spire and Tournies or they establish military cities that can produce squads that can battle their way through. Some, like me, in the middle game, do both, depending on the level of troops and the level of resources.
The larger accounts with whom I am familiar tend to all battle their way through both; this may be because new resources are constantly being introduced into the catering. First comes T1 goods, then T2, T3, Orcs, Mana, seeds, then sentient goods and one is always short in supply of a new good that has just been introduced. Battling with troops tends to be more even with lesser jumps in demand.
What has not worked for me is to be free with every expansion as soon as I am able to get it. The Spire and Tourney difficulties become quite apparent. What seems to work better is to upgrade all buildings to make the best use of all tiles available and to respect the building suggestions regarding building and road arrangements https://elvengems.com/city-layout-space-optimization/ and use expansions when there is a clearcut advantage to developing your military or resource city.

Dew Spinner

Overall, my opinion: Players either maximize their manufactories to convince and negotiate their way through the Spire and Tournies or they establish military cities that can produce squads that can battle their way through. Some, like me, in the middle game, do both, depending on the level of troops and the level of resources.
The larger accounts with whom I am familiar tend to all battle their way through both; this may be because new resources are constantly being introduced into the catering. First comes T1 goods, then T2, T3, Orcs, Mana, seeds, then sentient goods and one is always short in supply of a new good that has just been introduced. Battling with troops tends to be more even with lesser jumps in demand.
What has not worked for me is to be free with every expansion as soon as I am able to get it. The Spire and Tourney difficulties become quite apparent. What seems to work better is to upgrade all buildings to make the best use of all tiles available and to respect the building suggestions regarding building and road arrangements https://elvengems.com/city-layout-space-optimization/ and use expansions when there is a clearcut advantage to developing your military or resource city.
Pre Tournament changes, there was a clear cut way to be fight/cater only, now you have to be good at both. If you don't have 5 Fire Phoenixes and 5 Brown Bears.

KonTiki

All good points. My problem is I'm already in chapter 17 but did skip optional researches (little good that did now), and a long time back (prior to tourney changes) already purchased/earned and placed max expansions. Of course relics are 700%. The only thing I can do now is to limit my AWs, and these calculations suggest this will have little effect. I did get rid of a few AWs that primarily relate to rank, but as a primary fighter I retained all AWs that max troop production and strength and coins and hammers, and of course goods. I'm sliding down the rabbit hole. I used to do (pre tourney changes) over 20 provinces at 6* weekly when the competitive spirits called. I can now only do about 9-ish without wiping myself out. And, the spire (while the rewards are great), soaks up the remainder of my resources.

I am not whining; rather, I had hoped by researching this topic to find a way out of my downward spiral. And yes, I do have fire phoenix (only 1) and brown bear (only 2) but even those are getting harder to support as the food is not coming up in MA as needed. I'm reduced to using brown bears only about once per month to maintain food for the phoenix and the polar bear... fortunately I have level 30 timewarp and polar is fully evolved so can do all of the tourney in 15-20 min (9x6* -- no waiting between rounds -- provided troops hold up).

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. Much appreciated. Any other suggestions are also solicited.

Iyapo1

The formula is really useful if you want to be Gold Spire AND Competitive in the tournament.
I am gold spire but my tournament average is around 4k and I am happy with that so I have room to do what I want with my city.

Having said that...an Ancient Wonder will increase your tournament difficulty more than an expansion if you put more than minimum effort into leveling it.

1 wonder level is not an issue....28 wonder levels might matter. 300 wonder level is going to hurt.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@KonTiki one thing to remember with all this: the formula only tells you how big your squad size will be in the Spire and tournament fights. The actual difficulty of the fights has nothing to do with it. The percent difference between your squads and the enemy squads is a set number and the same for everyone. So for a fighter, the big issue is being able to make enough troops to fight as far into the tournament or Spire as you want. For a caterer, it is a whole different story, because the higher your formula value, the higher the goods costs are to cater an encounter. And that can be much harder to cover than troops are for a fighter. Especially in higher chapters when a caterer needs mana and seeds and orcs and sentient goods, at least for the Spire.

Iyapo1

Also important would be your tail. You do 9×6.....do you go out for KP farther than 9 on the first few stars? The tail will wrap around and kill lots of troops and demolish goods stockpiles.

KonTiki

@KonTiki one thing to remember with all this: the formula only tells you how big your squad size will be in the Spire and tournament fights. The actual difficulty of the fights has nothing to do with it. The percent difference between your squads and the enemy squads is a set number and the same for everyone. So for a fighter, the big issue is being able to make enough troops to fight as far into the tournament or Spire as you want. For a caterer, it is a whole different story, because the higher your formula value, the higher the goods costs are to cater an encounter. And that can be much harder to cover than troops are for a fighter. Especially in higher chapters when a caterer needs mana and seeds and orcs and sentient goods, at least for the Spire.
Good points! Thank you

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Also important would be your tail. You do 9×6.....do you go out for KP farther than 9 on the first star? The tail will wrap around and kill lots of troops and demolish goods stockpiles.

This may not matter once they ever give us the new relic distribution for tournaments that is now on Beta. You will always want to go 10 provinces, at least in your three boost weeks, since province 1 and 10 will be your boost relics.