• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

what game helped prepare you for Elvenar the most?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Most of us have played other games before we discovered Elvenar. What I am wondering is: of those other games you played previously, which of them helped prepare you the most for Elvenar? For me the answer is the Civilization series of games. This game series gave me a good understanding of how to build from nothing, how to focus on infrastructure early in a game, and how to climb a tech tree. I think it would have taken me a lot longer to get my feet under me in Elvenar had I not had a lot of experience playing Civilization. Instead of having to discover concepts from scratch, it became a matter of taking concepts I already knew about a building game and fitting them into the rules and framework of Elvenar. Honorable mention to Tetris for helping me arrange my city! ;)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I think the only thing I've ever played that was remotely similar to Elvenar was Civ3. I often played "hidden object" or "logic puzzle" games before this, so I'm out of my element here, but I've learned to love it.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I know people will cringe at this.
But I always thought the basics of this game was built off a Farmville ( i think that's the right name? ) engine.

Instead of plowing fields you manufacture silk.
And I'm sure there is an analogy for having to make supplies. Did farmville have tools you needed to make?
And then there is visiting neighbors.
Face it guys.
You are playing Farmville designed by Raymond E Feist

Risen Malchiah

Oddly enough, I started playing Elvenar because I was looking for something like Heroes of Might & Magic. Elvenar's fight style is VERY simplified compared to Heroes, but has some similarities. Heroes has a ton more units to play with, spells that can be cast mid-combat, some troops that can fly (thus ignoring terrain) and powerful commander units that can make or break certain encounters. But the basic grid layout and turn-based initiative combat is similar. Somehow I grew to like the rest of the game, though I often wished the fighting was more detailed.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Oddly enough, I started playing Elvenar because I was looking for something like Heroes of Might & Magic. Elvenar's fight style is VERY simplified compared to Heroes, but has some similarities. Heroes has a ton more units to play with, spells that can be cast mid-combat, some troops that can fly (thus ignoring terrain) and powerful commander units that can make or break certain encounters. But the basic grid layout and turn-based initiative combat is similar. Somehow I grew to like the rest of the game, though I often wished the fighting was more detailed.
I am still looking for a game like Heroes of might and magic. It is/was a great game! Another couple good games I liked were Kings Bounty and Age of empires, Command and Conquer games. I played civilization V colonies, but I am not very good at that one, but enjoy the building part of the game. I think all of these games help in one way or another in playing Elvenar, whether it is the strategy, knowledge and the learning of patience, that I learned from them games helps And the enjoyment I got from playing them has kept me playing this one.

Yogi Dave

I was an avid Civ player from Civ 1 through Civ 6. Endless Legend was very good and in many ways better. It had the best battle setup with a wide variety of troop types and attributes, champions and very different terrains. Also the different race types had much greater differences in attributes between them than Civ. Both had the problem of everything taking longer and longer for each turn as you progressed. Yes, things take longer in Elvenar, but that's more waiting for something to happen, not having hundreds of pieces to move each turn as the game progressed. They offered multi-player, but it was mainly adversarial. They didn't have the fellowship interaction Elvenar has, which I've grown to love and keeps me coming back.

DeletedUser2959

I'm looking for a game modeled from Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

Deleted User - 3932582

I am still looking for a game like Heroes of might and magic. It is/was a great game!
You can get an HD mod for HoMM3, and play from the original 800x600 up to 4Kx4K resolution. There is nothing wrong with this game even nowadays.

Deleted User - 4646370

It looks like manual fighting is not a pririty for Elvenar devs... at least not for mobile devs :mad::mad:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It looks like manual fighting is not a pririty for Elvenar devs... at least not for mobile devs :mad::mad:
Has anyone tried asking?

@Xelenia could you please ask the devs if there is a slot on the mobile development roadmap for manual fighting? We don't need to know when, just if it is currently planned.

Deleted User - 3932582

I'd be very surprised if manual combat is something that a lot of regular (not hardcore) players care for - browser or mobile. It just doesn't seem to be that kind of game.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Agreed. Auto-combat in the spire is not only expensive, but when it comes to the three-deep door guards, it's almost impossible to do without boosts or spending diamonds.

I did just now do the whole tower on auto.
Only had one defeat.
But
I had an archer buff, mage buff, armorer, and fed fire bird

I have to imagine buffs will be essential for anyone on mobile.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
@Xelenia could you please ask the devs if there is a slot on the mobile development roadmap for manual fighting? We don't need to know when just if it is currently planned.

Last time I bugged someone about this, the rumor was that it is "in the talk". It is important to know, I am not sure which development team that came from...mobile or browser. And as you are aware, the right foot and the left foot of Elvenar do not always communicate with each other :(

I can happily poke around again for you guys though ^.~ I just need to get sneaky with my question hahahaha

What I can say is though with confidence is that the ultimate goal is to bring all the features of the browser to mobile and vice-versa. As for when that will occur, no one knows.

Xelenia