• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What is the point of the training grounds?

Iamaita

I am sure that I am missing something somewhere in the vast amount of knowledge I do not have about this game after playing for only two months. If someone could clue me in, I would appreciate it.

I don’t see the usefulness of the training grounds. I pretty much only use it if my barracks is upgrading. I have max upgraded both for my level (researching advance scout at the start of chapter 5). Why would I spend 4 hrs 15 minutes training Cerberus when I could spend 1 hr 12 minutes training sword dancers? Even if Cerberus performs a little better in some match ups, it seems like the cost in time would offset any differences in number of troops lost.

I am annoyed at this extra building and the space, culture, and population it requires when it doesn’t really do anything but sit there and let me access troops I don’t want to make because they take so long. Why don’t they let you train training ground troops in the training grounds and barracks troops in the barracks? If you could keep them both going at the same time, it would be awesome. As it is... what is the point?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I like the training ground. I like the fact that cerberus has a greater range than sword dancers. Yeah, they seem to get killed faster than I'd like, but they do work great against mages. But yes, it takes up space and if you don't fight much and prefer to cater, it's kind of a wasted space.

Iamaita

Iamaita

I like the training ground. I like the fact that cerberus has a greater range than sword dancers. Yeah, they seem to get killed faster than I'd like, but they do work great against mages. But yes, it takes up space and if you don't fight much and prefer to cater, it's kind of a wasted space.
I try to fight as much as I can because it seems cheaper to spend supplies on troops than to spend goods. Right now I can sit and make supplies all day to keep up, but it takes a little longer to amass goods. But if it takes me more than 3x as long to make a Cerberus and I lose it just as fast as a sword dancer... yuck. Maybe once I upgrade the training grounds a little more to get the production time down, I will be able to utilize those troops more.
But I also play on mobile, so to me I just see lost troops without the satisfaction of utilizing better tactics with different troop types. Maybe I will use my sword dancers as cannon fodder in the auto fights and try to save Cerberus for when I have time to sit down and do some manual fights so I can at least try to make the most of the different abilities...

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thanks for the link! That was some disconcerting dialogue, though. Sounds like I’m one of the noobs that doesn’t know what I’m asking for! Lol

so... when do I get access to this amazing brown bear?
I believe it is RARELY in the Magic Academy to craft. That's where I got mine, and I don't think they've withdrawn it. The Bears were part of the Autumn Zodiac event last year, which will be coming up later this month. Maybe they'll have it again there, though I have no idea if they will.

I am sure that I am missing something somewhere in the vast amount of knowledge I do not have about this game after playing for only two months. If someone could clue me in, I would appreciate it.

I don’t see the usefulness of the training grounds. I pretty much only use it if my barracks is upgrading. I have max upgraded both for my level (researching advance scout at the start of chapter 5). Why would I spend 4 hrs 15 minutes training Cerberus when I could spend 1 hr 12 minutes training sword dancers? Even if Cerberus performs a little better in some match ups, it seems like the cost in time would offset any differences in number of troops lost.

I am annoyed at this extra building and the space, culture, and population it requires when it doesn’t really do anything but sit there and let me access troops I don’t want to make because they take so long. Why don’t they let you train training ground troops in the training grounds and barracks troops in the barracks? If you could keep them both going at the same time, it would be awesome. As it is... what is the point?

Trust me, Cerberus is the best. And as you Upgrade the Training Grounds Cerberus gets so much better.

I believe it is RARELY in the Magic Academy to craft. That's where I got mine, and I don't think they've withdrawn it. The Bears were part of the Autumn Zodiac event last year, which will be coming up later this month. Maybe they'll have it again there, though I have no idea if they will.

I recently found the Panda Bear in the Magic Academy. A few weeks ago someone here in the Forums was excited to hopefully get her hands on a Panda Bear.

BrinDarby

Trust me, Cerberus is the best. And as you Upgrade the Training Grounds Cerberus gets so much better.
Well, as you upgrade the Cerberus, the Cerberus gets better but @Iamaita , where it shines is you still
make SwordDancers but ( didn't used to be ) currently you make Cerberuses Also .... simultainously.

I make dogs as fast or faster than Dancers, and by using them instead, even as bait, I can then train
Treants instead of Dancers... I'm mid CH4 and never run outta troops his way.....

Well, as you upgrade the Cerberus, the Cerberus gets better but @Iamaita , where it shines is you still
make SwordDancers but ( didn't used to be ) currently you make Cerberuses Also .... simultainously.

I make dogs as fast or faster than Dancers, and by using them instead, even as bait, I can then train
Treants instead of Dancers... I'm mid CH4 and never run outta troops his way.....

I'm still naive. I Train all 6 equally, Sword Dancer II, Archer II, Sorceress, Treant, Golem, Cerberus. But I seem to have more Cerberus when I go into battle, so I use him more than Sword Dancer II. I guess as I get to know Elvenar even better I'll change my Training habits.

Nerwa

Manual fighting is SOOOO much better, Iamaita. Auto-fighting uses weak strategy IMHO & burns through more troops. Even the "suggested" movements in manual often stink. Plus it's boring...

I'm on PC (ch. 5), and have done a fight/cater mix with preference for fighting since the beginning. I go for a diverse military strategy: Troop instants (held in reserve until needed), barracks & training grounds (not fully upgraded), several other troop-producing buildings (e.g., Triumph of the Tides; Grounds of the Orc Strategist), and booster buildings (AWs; 5-day crafted buildings). Time instants if I run low on a particular troop & need to build up fast (or use up extra supplies!).

As newer players, we're at a disadvantage on the older Phoenixes & Bears. The Stage 1 bases appear in the Magic Academy semi-regularly, but the artifacts to evolve them are hard to come by. I've a Fire Phoenix base in storage, but only 1 artifact. My Brown Bear is finally up to Stage 6 by crafting all Red Panda artifacts into regular Bear artifacts. It's just slow-going. But, while they are nice extras, they're not essentials for me at this point.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I'm still naive. I Train all 6 equally, Sword Dancer II, Archer II, Sorceress, Treant, Golem, Cerberus. But I seem to have more Cerberus when I go into battle, so I use him more than Sword Dancer II. I guess as I get to know Elvenar even better I'll change my Training habits.
The Cerberus is the best light melee unit in the game once you get all the promotions for it. It does not sound like you have reached that point yet. I have 2 advanced human cities and 1 advanced elven city. I no longer train Ax Barbarians or Sword Dancers in any of them. 3 star Cerberus is the only light melee unit I train. I DO continue to get free Ax Barbarians or Sword Dancers in these cities due to my Dwarven Bulwark AWs. Every now and then I will use these free troops instead of Cerberus units. And in almost every occasion the free basic troops don't perform as well as I think Cerberus units would have.