• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What troops should I make

StarLoad

my troops.jpg

The ones Outlined in Yellow I use and its mostly the Merc camp and Golems, however, there are times for the rest. I know I will continue making Blossom Mages and Rangers but, what about the Training grounds and Barracks? I really do not see any need to make more troops in either at this point. Opinions? have others reached the point that making more is just a reflex action and not out of need?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
If I were in your situation I'd continue making troops AND advance more in the tournament. In my opinion, you should fight at a level where you can reasonably replace your troops each week. Above that you eventually don't have enough troops to fight, and below that, you build up troops to the point you are at now -- wondering, "why bother?"

The thing is, fighting farther into things means you are probably helping your fs more and gaining more KP when you fight the second and fifth rounds (not sure which two give the KP above province 10, but I get hundreds of KP from those rounds).

As to which, I like to keep a balance between my "favorite" troops so I just pick the one with the least in each facility and spend the day making those. The next day I look again and, again, pick the least.

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I really love the three star training ground heavy melee. I see you have only 3.5 squads of those. Are the merc camp 3 star heavy melee a lot better? I don't make many of them, but I've been thinking about it. I'd like to know your view on that.

StarLoad

The Valorian Guards are my go-to for any HM and I have all of them for free with the Valorian Valor. Free is better always and the Orc need Orcs to make them and based on battle experience the Guards kick butt.

Edited : I forget the most important feature they're attack range is double that of all other HM

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The Valorian Guards are my go-to for any HM and I have all of them for free with the Valorian Valor. Free is better always and the Orc need Orcs to make them and based on battle experience the Guards kick butt.

Edited : I forget the most important feature they're attack range is double that of all other HM
I didn't know that. Would you believe I've never placed a Valorian Valor? Guess I've been missing out; thanks for the tip.

ajqtrz

My preference in picking troops is to ask what's the strongest group in the opponent lineup? If it's Heavy Ranged, I pick either the mercenary camp or training ground troops with 5 star against those. I give preference to ranged in my choices provided the rest of the opponents are neutral against my ranged. So, this means I will pick either the Mercenary Camp Ghastly Banshee or the Traning Camp Vallorian Veteran. At 5 stars these would be my best choices. The same calculation is done for everything else. I pick the 5 star troop from Mercenary Camp or Training Ground rather than the 4 star of the Barracks. But, of course, I have a lot more Barracks troops. So where do I use them? At the lower levels of everything I can afford to lose some of them and still be very certain that even at 4 stars they are good enough. Thus, for the first 10 tournament provinces I generally use Barracks troops, and above that switch to the 5 star guys from other facilities. I average just over 6,000 pts each week so it works well enough for me.

The key is, as the opening hints screen says, know our troops and what they can do and you can defeat even stronger enemies.

AJ

Huor

The new event tides building at level 10, at least in chapter 6, is worth 8 valor buildings worth of guard production.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@ed1960 Unless you are short of orcs, I would train some Senior Orc Strategists. I have a ch 15 elvish city and in my experience Senior Orc Strats outperform Granite Golems in most encounters. When compared with Golems, the SOS has higher attack values, higher health, and much better bonuses against light ranged. But most importantly, the Orc Strat has Strikeback. This helps it against other heavy ranged, light melee, and heavy melee.

Maybe make some more Banshees as well. Blossom Mage is the best overall mage unit for an elvish player. Not arguing that! But Banshees have such high bonuses against heavy ranged that in cases where the enemy line-up is skewed towards heavy ranged, I think Banshees can outperform Blossoms.

StarLoad

Interesting point on the Orc's, I have 11 Grounds of the Orc Strategist making my free Senior Orc Strats, over 1.1 Mill of them so I will try them out and see how they go.
Not short on Orcs 1.5Mil and that up from 1.3 when I finished ch 15.

ajqtrz

All the barrack troops are balanced between the two opponents against whom they are best, at 4 cross swords. The Merc Camp and Training Ground are 5 and 3, so each is really good against one of the two the barrack troops are evenly divided against. In the higher provinces and harder fights using the Merc and Training Ground troops against their respective 5 cross sword adversaries (meaning they have 5 cross swords against them) makes sense if you can't produce overwhelming amounts of Merc Camp and Training Ground troops. So I use my Barrack troops against lower provinces and save the "specialty" troops with 5 cross swords for their specific targets in the higher provinces. Sadly, I still sometimes run out of my specialty troops....but not too often.

AJ

Henroo

Oh Wise One
All the barrack troops are balanced between the two opponents against whom they are best, at 4 cross swords. The Merc Camp and Training Ground are 5 and 3, so each is really good against one of the two the barrack troops are evenly divided against. In the higher provinces and harder fights using the Merc and Training Ground troops against their respective 5 cross sword adversaries (meaning they have 5 cross swords against them) makes sense if you can't produce overwhelming amounts of Merc Camp and Training Ground troops. So I use my Barrack troops against lower provinces and save the "specialty" troops with 5 cross swords for their specific targets in the higher provinces. Sadly, I still sometimes run out of my specialty troops....but not too often.

AJ
I think a more important factor is: does the unit have a special ability which reduces enemy defense? The 3 star versions of Priest, Blossom Mage, Cerberus, Ranger, Vallarian Guard, and Faineant Frog all have such an ability. And they are some of the most widely used and popular units among players. I don't think it is coincidence.

HonuMoana

Good discussion, lots of solid info here.

I would suggest getting into some real fights. Put those lay-abouts to work. It could well answer the original question in the best way for the questioner.

Talaedraiia

AJ
I play on iPad, so could you please tell me what cross swords are.

Iyapo1

I play on iPad, so could you please tell me what cross swords are.
When you go into a battle, in the troop selection screen, you can click on the blue "i" in the top right corner of each troop shown. Here:
Elvenar_2021-08-10-06-35-38.jpg

In the image I clicked on the light ranged unit. 4 crossed swords against mage and heavy melee.
No matter what I pick here, this is not a fight I can win. I am a wee bit outclassed and outnumbered.

ajqtrz

I think a more important factor is: does the unit have a special ability which reduces enemy defense? The 3 star versions of Priest, Blossom Mage, Cerberus, Ranger, Vallarian Guard, and Faineant Frog all have such an ability. And they are some of the most widely used and popular units among players. I don't think it is coincidence.

I agree. I'm just not up on all those special abilities and find it difficult to actually stop and calculate it all...so I "cheat" and just use the cross swords level as my main tool. It seems to work, though I will admit that if I did actual calculations (rather than a "guesstimate") I'd, no doubt, win more often and lose fewer troops. Ideally one would put all the troops being faced, the squad sizes and all that into a calculator and let it tell you your best shot based on terrain -- so you'd take about 10 minutes entering and calculating everything and still have to deal with the RNG aspect. In the end I doubt those calculations are more than one or two percent better than the usual experienced players "guestimates." It's pretty amazing what human intuition can do.

AJ