• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What's For Dinner?

Vergazi

I rarely make chipped beef on toast. My mother used to make it on occasion. My father had another name for it from the military that I won't repeat here :rolleyes: Not sure what it was about my Mom's but mine never seems quite as good as what she made.

She may have put some chicken stock in with the milk..it kinda rounds out the flavor really well and makes it something special. I understand from my dad the marine corps version..so navy too i guess...was/is made with ground beef. I make mine with cut up thin sliced dried salted beef that comes in the glass jars or packets. If anyone makes this take it easy on adding salt the beef tends to make the cream sauce super salty just by itself.

p.s. My dad called it SOS from the Marines..i know what it means..but like you said I can't say it here. :p

shimmerfly

I haven't thought of SOS for years! Yes, very salty but good!
Our family was large and though we lived on a mostly self-sustained farm, Mom would make it on occasion. We had it over mashed potatoes.
She put butter in a skillet, melting it, then added flour and cooked that until it was a very light tan color ( roux) then added the milk slowly and cut up the beef ( out of the jar kind) and cooked until gravey-like thick. I don't remember the amounts and don't use amounts when cooking. I'm mostly a "dump this in then that and taste it kind of cook'. If I use a recipe it's usually tweeked to what I have available. I love to cook :eek: and have all of my grandmothers and mom's old recipe cards.

Vergazi

I haven't thought of SOS for years! Yes, very salty but good!
Our family was large and though we lived on a mostly self-sustained farm, Mom would make it on occasion. We had it over mashed potatoes.
She put butter in a skillet, melting it, then added flour and cooked that until it was a very light tan color ( roux) then added the milk slowly and cut up the beef ( out of the jar kind) and cooked until gravey-like thick. I don't remember the amounts and don't use amounts when cooking. I'm mostly a "dump this in then that and taste it kind of cook'. If I use a recipe it's usually tweeked to what I have available. I love to cook :eek: and have all of my grandmothers and mom's old recipe cards.

Same here. I was a "latch-key kid" growing up and my mom worked nights and my dad days so i didn't see them much during the week. I had to learn to cook or it would all have been out of a can or hamburger helper or tv dinners. when my mom passed this last year she left me her collection of cookbooks and file boxes full of family recipes. Then I kind of added on what i learned from cooking shows and now i'm pretty good at most things..though the more involved haute cuisine dishes are largely beyond me. I make really good homemade bread and make thick cut french toast with it...so good!

shimmerfly

Ah yes baking is fun!. I have an old italian recipe for dough. Pizza crust or bread. It makes the whole house smell like heaven.
Hard to lose your Mom. Lost mine 2 years ago and think of her every day. She was a fun Mom! Save those files! It's kind of like saving old heritage plant seeds. :)
.... I'm getting off subject here. Sorry!

Vergazi

LIKE:cool:
It is so neat to listen to these type stories, and my condolences to you @shimmerfly, and you @Vergazi.

Thank you Saphirra, it was at least quick after a rather drawn out situation and she wasn't in pain from all indications.

And keeping with the thread's subject i suppose I'll say tomorrow probably...

Cajun Roasted Chicken Drumsticks
Alfredo Noodles
Green Beans
Pears

Last edited:
I cook like that also Shimmer & Vergazi - I don't really measure unless I'm baking. I made a fish & seafood stew a couple of days ago. I chopped onion & celery & sauteed in butter until tender. Then I added white wine (any dry white will do) and chicken stock (you could also use veg stock) & brought to a simmer. Then I added some tilapia fillets (you can use any mild fish), and seasoning, salt & pepper to taste, garlic, nutmeg, thyme, Old Bay & cayenne pepper for a bit of heat. Then I added some shrimp & scallops & cooked until shrimp are pink & scallops are done. I stir to break up the fish fillets until they flake. Finally I remove from heat & add some heavy cream (Hey, I didn't say it was lo-cal ;) ). I also added some crushed oyster crackers this time to soak up the broth & thicken it since we like is on the thicker side but you don't have to - sometime I just serve with crusty rolls to sop up the broth. You could also thicken with roux and sometimes I've used croutons. Ha ha - even my "recipe" looks rather haphazard :D The dish is loosley based on this recipe but I improvise. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/makeover-creamy-seafood-soup/

PS - Thx for the cream dried beef on toast tips Vergazi & Shimmer :) I think my Mom's tasted better because of the love she added <3

Last edited:

DeletedUser20396

This would sound good, if it weren't for the shrimp. :) I love tilapia, and garlic. :) But that's just me.

shimmerfly

Okay I'm hungry now after reading these! :D The chicken sounds good and the fish thing with wine and cream too.. Yumm!

Not sure whether to put this here or on comfort food thread. Tonight, it's meatloaf, roasted brussel sprouts & baked sweet potatoes. I usually do mashed potatoes with meatloaf but I have sweet potatoes on hand.

Last edited:

Vergazi

:D
Not sure whether to put this here or on comfort food thread. Tonight's it's meatloaf, roasted brussel sprouts & baked sweet potatoes. I usually do mashed potatoes with meatloaf but I have sweet potatoes on hand.[/QUDid
Did someone say Brussels Sprouts??? Love them...those delicious with butter all over them little freaky micro-cabbages..yum! Oh, and meatloaf done right is always good too! :D

Tonight? Idk...either stir-fried pork and asparagus or homemade pizza. If I do the pizza I'll try to get a pic up here just for the heck of it. Back in the 80s back where I lived then I stopped at a garage sale and it turned out the family had owned a pizzaria, but it had gone out of business. They were selling their pizza pans, glass pitchers and other sundries. I grabbed a huge pizza pan and a glass pitcher for a couple bucks so for years now whenever I want I can have pizza night and do it up right!
Vergazi Pizza.JPG

Here's the pic I said I would post if I made my pizza! I was so into trying to upload the pic and get it transferred off my camera and...ugh...second pizza got a bit dark...but, hey...more crunchiness! :D

Last edited:
Did someone say Brussels Sprouts?

I did say brussel sprouts. :) The roasted brussel sprouts are very easy to make. I use frozen but this works with fresh also. Drizzle a little olive oil in a sheet pan (if clean up isn't your thing, you can line the pan with alum. foil first). Spread brussel sprouts in a single layer and lightly brush with a little more olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & roast in the oven at 400 to 425 degrees. After about 15 min, roll the brussel sprouts around a bit so they don't cook on just 1 side. Put them in for about another 15 min or until they start carmelizing - getting a little brown. This is really simple and the carmelizing brings out their sweetness.

DeletedUser21078

Wow I actually had chipped beef for breakfast and then leftovers for dinner not even 20 minutes ago haha what a coincidink

Vergazi

@Vergazi - Your pizza looks delish !!
Thank you! As with any good homemade pizza I get good ingredients, especially the mozzarella, which is where so much flavor comes from. I use a small can of regular tomato sauce for the sauce, but I add some italian season plus a little more oregano, basil, garlic powder, evoo, s&p, dash of sugar and the thing that it would get from saudage if I had that on it too...fennel seed. Just heat til it boils and kill the heat and let it kinda steep like tea for a few minutes. The pizza dough is from an old red star yeast package recipe...cheesy crust pizza...though I add a little evoo to the dough and it makes it a little better imo.

I just looked up the recipe on their website as well..it's still there after all these years!
Cheesy Crust Pizza Red Star Yeast.png