• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What's For Dinner?

Vergazi

since i'm in the hospital the food isn't all that great:D:eek::rolleyes:
Awww thats too bad! :( I was super lucky then 'cause when I had to go to the hospital for 10 days the first pneumonia spell I had the room service food was pretty good. A small 3oz steak, side salad, fresh fruit like red grapes or pineapple and a small portion of cottage cheese was typical fare. Funny thing though is I think I enjoyed the V8 juice poured over ice the best. And they were nice enough to keep me in coffee so I didn't go psycho on them! :eek:

Pro Tip about hospital food...sometimes they have things on the menu that isn't on the menu...ask and you may be surprised with what they might come up with. Get well and enjoy your SyFy!

LilWolf De Lioncourt

:eek::eek::eek: I hate cottage cheese*laughs* I actually like the food in the cateteria better then the food they bring me to my room and they always great dessert:D Vergazi do You get phumonia a lot? I'm so accesable to getting it a lot cuz my lungs don't expand to their full capacity, and each time I get it the corner ends of my lungs shrink in more, specially with my COPD... as well as having 2 heart attacks in the past, But I just saw my Heart Dr. I have 5 cardiologists:eek: and my Heart is good which I'm so thankful for. oh and I really Like Your Sig avatar that's pretty :cool:

Vergazi

:eek::eek::eek: I hate cottage cheese*laughs* I actually like the food in the cateteria better then the food they bring me to my room and they always great dessert:D Vergazi do You get phumonia a lot? I'm so accesable to getting it a lot cuz my lungs don't expand to their full capacity, and each time I get it the corner ends of my lungs shrink in more, specially with my COPD... as well as having 2 heart attacks in the past, But I just saw my Heart Dr. I have 5 cardiologists:eek: and my Heart is good which I'm so thankful for. oh and I really Like Your Sig avatar that's pretty :cool:
I've had pneumonia and been hospitalized twice in the past number of years. First time 10 days and round the clock IV, injected and oral anti-whatsis drugs. Second time for only 6 days or so. The COPD is sucky...testify...and I'm considered a risk for pneumonia now so that isn't cool. No serious heart issues thus far, but I was seeing a pulmonologist and he helped me out a bit.

Don't like cottage cheese? heresy! ;) And thank you kindly for the nice words about the sig and avatar. Can't take all the credit, an online free sig/avatar maker helped out with most of it, but I added a few personal touches of my own. :cool:

edit: current sig and avatar not an online maker. all credit to the artist, Sir Squirrel ( Temp sig by self - Avatar by Sir Squirrel )

Last edited:

LilWolf De Lioncourt

glad you were able to get the help for you lungs...I just hate being in the hospital cuz then I'm away from my cat. I miss her a lot when I cant be there with her...she's my service cat.

Gath Of Baal

Pro Tip about hospital food...sometimes they have things on the menu that isn't on the menu...ask and you may be surprised with what they might come up with.

Plus you can always sweet talk a nurse into picking you something up when they go get themselves something to eat, this is how I got a few of my meals (even though I wanted burger and fries and I was still talked into getting something a little healthier each time)

But apparently ordering pizza for delivery to your hospital room is crossing the boundary of acceptable hospital stay behavior :p but I had to give it a try

LilWolf De Lioncourt

:D ya I would want to order pizza too*laughs* I'm also a Diabetic type 2 so I have to watch what I eat all the time...right now I'm trying to get my blood sugars down, and as much as I hate needles I now have to give myself insulin in the mornings and at night...

Vergazi

Cleaning out the ol' freezer so it's simulated Navy Bean Soup made with a chunk of leftover spiral ham and a bone from a lamb shoulder roast. Added carrots and celery and a few other things to make it taste really good. Had to sub grt. northern beans for the navy beans, but eh..whatever, it's all good.

Anyone else gettin' creative with leftovers? Lol It's like a cook pulling a rabbit out of a hat sometimes...maybe I need a top hat and a cape

LilWolf De Lioncourt

I actually had hamburgers tonight:D

index.php

Vergazi

I actually had hamburgers tonight:D

index.php
HAHA nice, My dad loves him some hamburgers so if I don't know what to make for him that's the default. Tonight though we had a roast lamb shoulder, gravy and mashed potatoes and buttered green beans. We got the roast free 'cause the people don't like a roast with half of it bone. We ain't picky so heck yeah.

Vergazi

Due to popular demand I made Singapore Chow Mei Fun tonight. Dirtied half the pans and bowls in the kitchen practically, but it's worth it!
chef-smiley.png
Singapore Chow Mei Fun - Gazi Style 001.JPG

Donnyd

If you like the sweet stuff, here is an easy to make donuts at home. Get a tube or 2 or 3 of Grands biscuits and a sauce pan with some oil to fry in. Just wallow out a hole in the middle and fry in the oil. Use some chop sticks or whatever you have to flip them over to fry other side til golden brown. The glaze is also simple. Just use some powdered or ten x sugar and water. Just add enough water and mix til it looks like a glaze. You can flavor it with lemon extract or orange extract or whatever flavor you like. Melted chocolate is another good choice. If you prefer a filled donut, just fry the biscuit as is without the hole. Then you can use a piping bag to fill it with jelly. or maybe you you would like a whipped cream filled version topped with chocolate for a quick and easy boston cream donut. The possibilities are endless. Just go with whatever flavors you like best. But be warned, they can be addictive. Nothing better in the morning than a hot fresh donut.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Korean Beef, curried rice with eggs and peppers, home made kimchi.

Korean Beef: lean ground beef, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame seed oil, minced garlic, ground cloves. Brown and drain beef and garlic. Mix and heat other ingredients in small sauce pan. When beef is done, poor over beef and stir. Amounts of sauce ingredients vary widely and thus it's up to you and your tongue.

Curried rice with eggs and peppers. 1 cup cooked rice, Sesame seed oil, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup sweet peppers (green, yellow, or red, but I like to use a little of all three for the color), curry sauce. Put oil in pan and heat up. Add peppers and cook for a minute before adding rice and eggs. Stir and cook until eggs are still runny but warm. Add 1/2 cup curry sauce and stri again. Cover and let cook until the rice at the bottom is brown (3 minutes or so over a medium burner setting). Stir and serve.

Kimchi. Buy it at the store. Good kimchi takes a lot of work and several days to ferment. I follow a very long process of four weeks and thus, it's not for everyone.

That's what I had for dinner last night. Tonight it will be a Haaka stir-fry.

And no, I'm not oriental -- I'm mostly Basque. I just love oriental cooking.

AJ

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Vergazi. Not to be too technical, but "chow" in "chow mei fun" is crisp fried egg and wheat noodles. Those look like soft rice noodles and thus it wouldn't be a "chow mei fun." Of course it isn't easy to see if the noodles are crisp or if they are egg and wheat. In any case if they are soft rice noodles they miss-named variation of "chow mei fun." On the other, they sure look good! I'd add some celery to make it perfect!.

AJ

Vergazi

@Vergazi. Not to be too technical, but "chow" in "chow mei fun" is crisp fried egg and wheat noodles. Those look like soft rice noodles and thus it wouldn't be a "chow mei fun." Of course it isn't easy to see if the noodles are crisp or if they are egg and wheat. In any case if they are soft rice noodles they miss-named variation of "chow mei fun." On the other, they sure look good! I'd add some celery to make it perfect!.

AJ
Actually the "Chow" just means fried and refers to a general cooking technique. The "Mei Fun" are the noodles. This is a well known dish and the name is correct. I have a cookbook with it in it and have purchased the similar dish at a restaurant. It's actually a Hong Kong dish, but for whatever reason many call it Singapore...perhaps because of the curry powder that merchants in Singapore often had on their ships.

shimmerfly

@Vergazi and if I'm not mistaken it calls for rice noodles. In every recipe I've seen anyway. It looks scrumptious~

@ajqtrz Are you sure you don't mean ginger and not cloves? It also sounds good but I have no access to real Korean beef.

Vergazi

@Vergazi and if I'm not mistaken it calls for rice noodles.
@shimmerfly those are rice noodles. rice vermicelli , Wai Wai brand to be exact. Glad someone else has had the pleasure of having this dish! :) Sometimes it is made with wider rice noodles, but the version I got at a restaurant and from what I've seen in videos online they use rice vermicelli.