• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

What's in a name?

kclarke

Are you really expecting any other response than "I'm immature and think it's funny" or "Screw the man, I will use any name I want".
This is the answer to the original question. I noticed that many of you delighted in the opportunity to go off on a tangent about how the writer broke the rules. This is true, but I thought it was rather necessary to illustrate the point. I gave it a pass because righteously policing others doesn't give me the joy it obviously gives others.

Lady Dastardly

If you read the original post you might find I was asking for reasons for that sort of thing. In my post I gave reasons for my "straying." Since it's improbable that the users of such names are merely quoting others, I was asking for their reasoning

This thread isn't about that, it's about why others are doing so
So why are you asking this here? You're always talking about how we shouldn't assume anyone's motive for something, so why don't you send a message to them in game and ask them why they did it? Since I haven't seen anyone around the forum with a name like that who can reply to you, I can't imagine you'll get an answer you find satisfactory.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

I noticed that many of you delighted in the opportunity to go off on a tangent about how the writer broke the rules.
Many of us? Or just me. That was not a tanget. I very specifically quoted the OP and invited the OP to answer their own question since the shoe obviously fits.
I gave it a pass because righteously policing others doesn't give me the joy it obviously gives others.
Did you just righteously attempt to police me?...I think you did and I think it gave you joy.

@ajqtrz
I can read and I am on topic but you dont need to invite me off your thread a second time.

StarLoad

Oooooo....I love kettle corn! The wife can't stand it, she doesn't like sweet with her salty (probably why we're still together after 2 decades)!
A new one I have been enjoying recently is Garlic popcorn, not garlic salt tho, so its not sweet or salty, but no kissing till you brush. At least that's what my wife says...

Ed

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Many of us? Or just me. That was not a tanget. I very specifically quoted the OP and invited the OP to answer their own question since the shoe obviously fits.

Did you just righteously attempt to police me?...I think you did and I think it gave you joy.

@ajqtrz
I can read and I am on topic but you dont need to invite me off your thread a second time.

And you invited me to explain my reasoning for my approach, and I did. Now let's return to the reasoning of those who would "skirt" the rules, as that was the original question.

As for it obviously fitting, the subject was the ones skirting the issue by using names and abbreviations in the game and forum, not for those quoting them for the sake of clarity. However, since I've answered your request, how about you answer the original question. Why do you think those who, in the game, think nothing of using names that are clearly in violation of the rules? What do you think is their reasoning on the matter? This should be a pretty clear thing to answer since the question of why I quoted them has been addressed. Thanks.

AJ

Katarax

So, I ask again, what motivates people to flaunt the rules without any decent reason to do so? (Or maybe they do have a decent reason to do so?)
Maybe they were just trying to be funny and that was decent enough for them? It honestly doesn’t seem that deep in my opinion. Trying to dissect or assign motive to something as mundane as a profanity-laced username is probably putting in more thought and effort than those responsible for it in the first place.

ajqtrz

Maybe they were just trying to be funny and that was decent enough for them? It honestly doesn’t seem that deep in my opinion. Trying to dissect or assign motive to something as mundane as a profanity-laced username is probably putting in more thought and effort than those responsible for it in the first place.

And perhaps it is. I just like to figure out why people do what they do and sometimes, by asking, you can remind them their behaviors are immature/strange/unfathomable (take your pick) you get them to realize that they aren't acting wise -- or at least aren't understood, and that is probably not a good thing.

But who knows? Obviously, I don't.

AJ

Katarax

… by asking, you can remind them their behaviors are immature/strange/unfathomable (take your pick) you get them to realize that they aren't acting wise…
We only have so much control in the world and people are not always going to be acting in the “wisest” way - especially those on the much younger side where immaturity is part of the package. Other than reporting the names, it’s not really up to us to extend beyond that reach and attempt to control others’ behaviors, especially over something as trivial as the current issue being discussed. Some things are just done for a laugh and yes, they might be childish and overdone, but that’s a part of life. As long as no harm is being done, who are we to police the ‘Ben Dover’s and ‘Seymour Butts’ of the world?

Zoof

Wisdom? What is this crockery? What wizardry will people wrangle out of my wallet next? Common sense? Preposterous! Bollocks and poppycock, I say!

More seriously, perhaps some of our names come from the random things we're looking at or doing at the moment of signing up while laboring under the assumption that this game won't catch our attention long enough to do absurd things like (gasp!) stay... or join the forums! Long enough to click, but not long enough to ponder on something that would be representative of them.

Like me!

Oh, I made myself feel bad.
*slinks away shamefully*

EDIT: *slinks back in* Maybe a lot of these people did, in fact, leave. Now I made myself feel even worse. *slinks away again*

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I never understand some humans. It took me many years to accept the fact that I can only control myself and nobody else. If there is something I think is super wrong or harmful to another I can and will report it but other than that there is nothing I can do but control myself and try to set a good example.

ajqtrz

I never understand some humans. It took me many years to accept the fact that I can only control myself and nobody else. If there is something I think is super wrong or harmful to another I can and will report it but other than that there is nothing I can do but control myself and try to set a good example.

Controlling others is only possible if you can do something about their behavior, or try. Since the only suggestion is that we report them, that, to me, is a lot more an attempt to control them than just discussing the reasons some players do so.

Wisdom is learned in one of two ways. You either pay attention to what others call foolish behavior and avoid doing that, or you learn through suffering the consequences. Since, in my opinion, it is better to be wise then foolish, and because I do care about those who are in danger of suffering the consequences of engaging in foolish behavior, I speak. Words don't control without the threat of punishment, thus, using them to inform others, is not trying to control them.

On the edit of the original post: I could have done the editing that was applied by the moderator (I assume) but am not sure how adding "*" hides the user name of the person since the whole point is to use an actual example or two. Still, I suppose it would have been better if I had tried to think of some 'clever' way to skirt the issue by making up my own set of questionable names. Kind of wish I had, since I, apparently, skirted the rules a bit myself.

AJ

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Controlling others is only possible if you can do something about their behavior, or try. Since the only suggestion is that we report them, that, to me, is a lot more an attempt to control them than just discussing the reasons some players do so.

Wisdom is learned in one of two ways. You either pay attention to what others call foolish behavior and avoid doing that, or you learn through suffering the consequences. Since, in my opinion, it is better to be wise then foolish, and because I do care about those who are in danger of suffering the consequences of engaging in foolish behavior, I speak. Words don't control without the threat of punishment, thus, using them to inform others, is not trying to control them.

On the edit of the original post: I could have done the editing that was applied by the moderator (I assume) but am not sure how adding "*" hides the user name of the person since the whole point is to use an actual example or two. Still, I suppose it would have been better if I had tried to think of some 'clever' way to skirt the issue by making up my own set of questionable names. Kind of wish I had, since I, apparently, skirted the rules a bit myself.

AJ
I meant report only if say someone were to be in danger due to a very odd dangerous person. Not report everything.