• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Whats your view on human nature

what kind of person do you think you are?(pick the two you more closely relate to)

• Selfish

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • helpful

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • kind

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • smart

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • loving

• couragous

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • calculating

• cold

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • whimsical

• funny

• Total voters

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
That's "Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria". Sorry AJ I HAD to say it! :oops:

*pushes `like` button on AJ's post*

Yeah, I knew that. Really I did. LOL. I was too busy trying to reword the sentence and left the preposition after Duke in and then forgot he was an Archduke. At least I got the war right -- said hopefully. Thanks for the correction. I always appreciated it because once you make a public mistake like that you and are corrected, you seldom make that mistake again. Now all I have to fix is the other 1.2 million mistakes I could make.

AJ

Vergazi

I have made so many mistakes I can't bear to recall them, so I just forget the small ones that don't tend to involve mortal danger.

DeletedUser19483

I stopped making mistakes when I started thinking everything was a happy little accident:D

ajqtrz

I stopped making mistakes when I started thinking everything was a happy little accident:D

It was a mistake to post this because accidents are mistakes. and unless somebody else is making the "happy accidents" I guess you just put yourself back in the "mistakes made here" category of humans. Welcome back! ;>)

AJ

PS. Maybe I'm mistaken?

DeletedUser19483

@ajqtrz I guess I should have put it as, I don't make mistakes because a creature as great, perfect, and wonderful as me could never make a mistake.
PS. Your not a mistake @ajqtrz I don't grace mistakes with my presences.

Disclaimer: I was using sarcasm if.......yah know..... you somehow didn't get that.

ajqtrz

@ajqtrz I guess I should have put it as, I don't make mistakes because a creature as great, perfect, and wonderful as me could never make a mistake.
PS. Your not a mistake @ajqtrz I don't grace mistakes with my presences.

Disclaimer: I was using sarcasm if.......yah know..... you somehow didn't get that.

I assume whenever I hear something even mildly insulting, the writer was mistaken, being sarcastic, joking or has a death wish. Mostly though, I assume they were just mistaken or sarcastic or joking. I trained my daughters to do the same and they never were insulted.

AJ

PS. I want a t-shirts that says: "Be thankful for arrogance. Without it I'd be perfect." and "Perfections isn't so great. The last guy who tried it ended up on a cross."

DeletedUser19483

SOOO THAT'S RIGHT YOU (wonderful?) PEOPLE!!!! I'm not dead..........I think..... Anyway I have a little game I want to play. Now I'm sure you've all heard it in your time on this earth but humor me.

Your alone in a trolley barrelling out of control down a railroad. Coming up you see five workers working on the tracks. You can't stop the trolley in time and you will kill all five, that is until you notice that there is another track you can switch onto. Unfortunately there is a lone worker on this track. My question is, Would you switch onto the second track and kill one person or stay on the track you are and kill five? (Give me your reasoning)

DeletedUser16929

SOOO THAT'S RIGHT YOU (wonderful?) PEOPLE!!!! I'm not dead..........I think..... Anyway I have a little game I want to play. Now I'm sure you've all heard it in your time on this earth but humor me.

Your alone in a trolley barrelling out of control down a railroad. Coming up you see five workers working on the tracks. You can't stop the trolley in time and you will kill all five, that is until you notice that there is another track you can switch onto. Unfortunately there is a lone worker on this track. My question is, Would you switch onto the second track and kill one person or stay on the track you are and kill five? (Give me your reasoning)
i would derail
i have done it before
i see this as an option
i was in a similar situation and derailed
no one was killed :D:D:):):p:):):D:D

DeletedUser19483

@sputnik9009 your right you did derail it.....YOU DERAILED THE ENTIRE THING!!!!! AHHHHH I KNEW ONE OF YOU WOULD BE A SMART DONKEY

ajqtrz

Moral dilemmas seldom occur in which you have split seconds to make the decision, but when they do, you have to do what you can. In doing so, no matter the outcome, you are not revealing anything about yourself except perhaps some base reactions. Moral dilemmas presented as part of values clarification though, involve thought and thus, this exercise may or may not reflect what we each would actually do in such a situation.

In a dilemma like this one the amount of data is slim. The numbers, 5 to 1 clearly make it easy (actually it wouldn't be easy either way) to make a choice and I would bet we would all take the life of the one over the many. That would be common sense. However, the more we know of the five and the one the more muddy things might become.

Suppose the one was a child? Our child? We might justify the death of the five because the pain we would experience knowing we could have saved our child would be far, far greater than the joy we would feel having saved five. Or perhaps, we would reason the potential of the one has not been even remotely met, being a child, while the other five have experienced and achieved more. But suppose the five are five recently released serial killers who were released because of some technicality. Even of the one were a mere common thief released under the same circumstances, we might take out the five and save the one. In other words, the more we know of the situation the more we can make choices about potential good and potential evil but also the more complicated those choices might be.

All things being equal -- meaning each individual in danger being worth the same as the others both in potential and past performance, we naturally do the math and, as do the least amount of harm to the least amount of people, even if the harm done is terrible.

AJ

DeletedUser24211

Simple. Logic dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

DeletedUser16929

In a dilemma like this one the amount of data is slim. The numbers, 5 to 1 clearly make it easy (actually it wouldn't be easy either way) to make a choice and I would bet we would all take the life of the one over the many. That would be common sense. However, the more we know of the five and the one the more muddy things might become.
you cannot and do not speak for all, so do not try
i do and have been in a similar situation.... noone died :D:D:):):p:):):D:D

ajqtrz

you cannot and do not speak for all, so do not try
i do and have been in a similar situation.... noone died :D:D:):):p:):):D:D[/QUOTE

My bet that "we would all take the life of the one over the many" seems to me not to be speaking for others but assessing what I think how most, if not all, people would assess the situation as described. It is not speaking for anyone but only giving my assessment of what I think everyone would do.

More interesting to me though, is the implied idea that a person cannot tell others what to do. I think the phrase "you cannot and do not speak for all" implies that you do not think anyone has the authority to make blanket "ought" statements -- i.e. there are no situations of which a person can say what others ought to do, universally. I beg to differ.

First, "ought" implies a moral obligation. You cannot say "ought" without it being so, since any appeal to what is "natural" is an appeal to cause/effect and cause/effect does not include choice. You "ought" to do something implies that the ability to not do that something exists and you can choose it. Telling a person they ought to jump off a cliff and fly is not a moral choice unless the person has wings. Telling a person to drink poison and not be poisoned by it may be possible, but it's unlikely the person drinking the poison can avoid being poisoned by it without a lot of foresight and planning. In other words, "ought" means choice and ability to do otherwise.

So if I say you "ought" to do something I am saying I believe you have a choice to do it or not. And when I say all people ought to make the same choice I am saying that the reasoning for that choice is without fault and that reason itself is the best and only basis for making the choice. So if I say one ought to choose the many over the one, I am saying that doing so is the right course because, as implied, many are worth more than one. Given the scenario as described I stand by my affirmation. Others ought to choose to save the five over the one.

But I also noted that when you start gathering more information you may judge the situation differently. If the one is a child and the value of the child's live (because of potential) is more than that of the 5 adults. Or if the value of the single person is more than the five because the five have harmed society far more greatly than the one, then you might also choose the one over the many. Thus, the choice could be different if there were more information because more information may change the value of each choice. But given that all you see is five individuals on one side and one individual on the other, the lessening of the harm done is obviously to choose the five over the one.

In this situation we look at the moral choice and discover a simple, reasonable, basis for making that choice. We conclude that that basis is so easily discerned and understood, and so universally acknowledged to be sound, that to choose something else besides what it suggests, is akin to being irrational and perhaps even mad. And I would insist that being rational is what we all ought to be whenever possible.

AJ