• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

When did you start to feel "old"?

DeletedUser26692

Now I am still what I would consider to be a younger guy (especially to a few of my guild mates), however I have noticed some startling Revelations come to pass in the last several years that I will mention for your entertainment.

These are in no order, other that what comes to me as I write this.

#1 it's Saturday morning and I'm watching TV.... It used to be I was up, grabbed a big bowl of cereal and put on Scooby-Doo.... Now its watching golf with coffee and a banana.

#2 Used to be I would go through a roll of quarters at the arcade playing altered beast or Mortal Kombat and then as technology progressed playing all those bloody and violent games on a home console, and now I this is the only game I play because it makes no sound and is relaxing to play.... Pick it up when bored put it down when not. It also gives me just as much joy thinking/planning as it does to play versus punch, punch, kick and punch.

#3 back on September 11, I overheard a new employee talking about how she did not understand why that day was so sad because everyone that died did so before she was even born.

#4 I remember being very disappointed when ever there was an election going on because I would always go to watch TV and there would always be some old dude up there in a suit talking about something I could not care less about and it was on ALL three channels I had. Now I have over a hundred channels, netflix, hulu and disney plus.... And what was I watching last week.....the vice presidential debate. I mean come on, the presidential debate... Sure, anything with Trump is going to be entertaining, but the vice presidents.... Never seen that one coming.

#5 speaking of TV, used to be I would see a scantily clad young lady (think baywatch) and be like "nice".... Now I walk into the room and see my daughter flipping through the channels hoping she does not stop on the Kardashian show or something just as morally corrupt.

#6 I had a neighbor kid that just joined the national guard come over to ask my wife and I some questions because we were both in the Army. As we were sitting there I came to the realization that I remember being in his place....talking to my grandfather about joining and what really got me was the stuff I was taking about is probably outdated... I mean I was fighting in a war before this kid was even born.

#7 Worries, used to be I would worry about my life and how whatever was going on in the world and how it would effect "my life" (narcissistic in know), however now I don't give a dam at what happens to me as long as it don't effect my children (slightly less narcissistic).

Well that's enough for now.... I want to go before I start going on and on about the god dam music industry.

shimmerfly

I enjoyed this thank you!
I had a repair "man" come to the house a few years back and he looked like he was 14.
I had to ask him his age... he was 28 years old and had 4 kids at home.

DeletedUser26692

You are welcome and I must say that it is amazing at how fast the time flys.

Iyapo1

A unspecified time ago I bought jerkey and started chewing away and....my teeth moved. They separated ever so slightly and then clamped back down on that jerky like vise grips!
That was the day I realised I was old! But I still have my teeth ;)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The number one way to know if your age is to note what you and your friends talk about. Young people below about 30: what they are going to do and where they are going to go to do it. Middle aged: What your kids are going to do and where they are going to go to do it. After that is what you grandchildren are going to do and where they are going to do it until you really reach the "golden age" where the question is if you will be allowed to do anything and if you can actually get to where you need to go fast enough.

AJ

Soleil Nightbloom

I felt old when I was watching a YouTube first reaction video for the song California Love and when Dr.Dre came on the teens in the video didn't know he was a rapper?! Like what?! They only know him for the beats headphones. We are not old we are fabulous. Proud 80s baby for life ;)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I remember when I mentioned that my brother in law died at age 63, and the young woman I was talking to said, "Well, at least he had a good long life." It suddenly struck me that I must be getting old, (54 at the time), because I thoroughly disagreed.

Aritra

I remember when I realized I was old enough to have adult kids. I was laughing at myself for calling that 19-year old a kid (behind his back) and the realization that I was old enough for him to be my kid (non scandalously) sobered me up a bit. I know that isn't very old to reach that but that hit me then. The next time was when I heard Green Day on an "oldies" playlist on the rock radio station. Whaaaat?!? I'm a bit out of touch because I don't have kids and inherited good genes that continue me to be mistaken for being 10-15 years younger than I am (no exaggeration, and this was before masks covering half the face, lol), though I can see my own signs of aging. I'm reminded often enough of being older because often it is assumed certain events happened before I was born (uh, no, I was in high school, lol) and so on. I know it doesn't matter but I don't know what my age is supposed to look like. I see guys who I think are in my bracket (nothing against adult age differences) only to find out they were 15 years younger than I thought. Hmmmm lol

SimplyNoble

What does old feel like? Does feeing old mean that one is old? What if one is old but does not feel old?

IDK I don't fee old. I do fee sore some days, especially when the weather changes. I recognize that I am now much more experienced in life so things that used to seem exciting or stressful now are just life. A year seems like no time at all. I am only 50 so I guess I am just not old enough to feel old yet.

You have much to look forward to. Old is jut a state of mind.

Aritra

I don't feel old. Just taken by surprise sometimes. I really don't know where the last 20+ years went...

DeletedUser20539

I still feel young at "heart"& "spirit. But, I started feeling old when I had to start taking blood pressure meds.

truelinor

This made me laugh, @Frank the Elf King - so thanks for that!

I really burst out laughing at this, @shimmerfly :
I enjoyed this thank you!
I had a repair "man" come to the house a few years back and he looked like he was 14.
I had to ask him his age... he was 28 years old and had 4 kids at home.

I have never "felt" old so it perturbed me when my sister kept referring to her husband (who is her age) and herself as "old" when she's two years younger than me. Mind you, she started doing this when she was in her late 40's!

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I usually feel like I'm a young person stuck in a grandma's body.

The day it hit me that I was getting pretty chronologically up there...... I didn't get carded. I remember the manager saying to the kid, you need to card everyone that looks under forty and he said... she looks like my mom... see the gray in her hair?

L'Oreal made some money that day!

Valtitude

Eddie Van Halen died at age 65. When did he grow old? No no no. Tom Petty, too. He was 66. It's strange to see people whose music you listened to, those you watched on television and in the movies, growing older and how young new stars appear.
Time waits for no one, no favors has he.
Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me.

Age gets all of us, if we're lucky to live long enough.

Clusseau

Good Thought, good thread... thanks for sharing.
Last night, i vaguely dreamed of "college days"... continuing my job, continuing study....

Literally, woke up this morning thinking i'd quit my job... wasnt sure what to study, or how i'd pay for it...
I was quite anxious over it, until i realized that ive put in my 35, and im now retired....

Similar, recent thoughts... remember "Last time i Moved".. ...carrying washer/Dryer to the truck, without a Dolly... now seems I cant carry my own F-A downstairs without a break....

"Go your Own Way" is now about 45 yrs old.... (WTF??)...
People think "1" is actually part of the Telephone number...
"Clicker" actually meant a Device that Clicks- Mechanically turning tv knob (from 1-13, getting 3 stations)
When i was 6, mother watched me walk to school... to the end of the Driveway... (without a Helmet)... the remaining 3/4 mile was out of sight.
"Milkman" came Mornings, Tues/Fri ... "breadman" came Mon/Thu afternoon... Fuller Brush, Avon Lady, came whenever....
Color TV, a Dishwasher, Microwave Oven, and an Allowance- were all things my friends Had, but not me....

Cutting short the Long List.... seems ive felt Old for quite a While now.. .but, maybe have been slow to figure it out...

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
For me, it was the first time that the radio played a song I remembered being #1 on the charts and they called it a "throwback."
Throwback?! How about I come over there and throw you out a window? Right after my nap of course...
"Clicker" actually meant a Device that Clicks- Mechanically turning tv knob (from 1-13, getting 3 stations)
As the youngest kid, I was the remote.

Aritra

For me, it was the first time that the radio played a song I remembered being #1 on the charts and they called it a "throwback."
Throwback?! How about I come over there and throw you out a window? Right after my nap of course...
As the youngest kid, I was the remote.
nice