• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Which buildings should I destroy?

ekarat

Okay, I'm now in the Elvenar chapter.

Now, I need to demolish a ton of old buildings, but I'm looking for suggestions on what to demolish (especially sets, but I'm not destroying AWs). The level 1 workshops and factories are temporary for the event. I can't build more factories unless I know what to demolish to make room for it. I also have precisely 2 teleport spells that I need to use wisely.

https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/bec0e1cf49a1484892307b4cc7c67a60/

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I started by taking a look at the set that I would keep.
Carnival Set: Because the Reveler's Fountain is a great mana producer with all the link bonuses and it looks like yours is Ch14, so pretty easy to keep upgraded with RR spells. You only need to keep the Fountain upgraded; the other bldgs are mainly for the link bonuses.
Questionable:
Winter Market Set: Because the Frost Carved Christmas tree is also great for mana and only needs 2 bldgs to get all the mana link bonuses (the other 2 link bonuses give 1kp each, so not a bad extra benefit). The reason I see it as questionable is because it's Ch13 and will take more RR's to keep it relevant.
Harvest Temple Set: This set can provide a huge boost to T1 production, again questionable because it's Ch12 and more RR's because you need to keep all the bldgs that give T1 goods upgraded.
Shrines of Sun & Moon Set: I kept this one because of my 10 Shrine of Karak's ringing the Weasel God (along with a couple Shrine of Kirits). They are great seed producers, but it looks like the only one you have is the Weasel God. I've kept him solo in my Scroll boosted city (because it's hard to trade scrolls for anything and I get a bit of crystal & silk from him), but wouldn't in my crystal boosted city if not for the seed producers.
I see you have the ClockTower Owls, don't remember the name of that set. I had the full set out when I had some extra room, but got rid of it when I needed the space back and don't remember what I got from it (extra kp I think for however long I had it).
Hope that helps, but as always, ymmv.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence

ekarat

Not quite a list sadly but I do agree with @samidodamage's recommendations above.
The thing is that basically all set buildings are better to have than not have, but only if you can keep them somewhat current. You've got a lot of em and I'm guessing not too many RR spells? I think this would be my initial suggestion:

Hmn. Are all the ones you pulled out bad? Including the Mystical Lake and Torch Fountain not worth keeping for mana? And not all of the Ice Rinks?

I do have 231 Royal Restoration spells to upgrade things with. And a few other event buildings still in inventory.

SoggyShorts

Are all the ones you pulled out bad?
Not "bad", just not as good as some of your other buildings. Keeping all wonders, even the really bad ones doesn't give a lot of options if you want to "demolish a ton of old buildings"
And not all of the Ice Rinks?
You have excess pop and the ice rinks give less pop than your residences do per square.
Not a lot though, so if you really like them you could remove residences instead.

ekarat

Not "bad", just not as good as some of your other buildings. Keeping all wonders, even the really bad ones doesn't give a lot of options if you want to "demolish a ton of old buildings"

You have excess pop and the ice rinks give less pop than your residences do per square.
Not a lot though, so if you really like them you could remove residences instead.

I'm currently building an extra residence because I need more population. I have enough for a second T6, but I'm running short of orcs, so I'd like a third armory but don't have the population for both an armory and a T6. What I can do is replace the ice rinks with residences, but slowly.

Or maybe I do have the population? I thought ranking points were equal to the number of population it needed, but that doesn't seem to track?

Deleted User - 4646370

Or maybe I do have the population? I thought ranking points were equal to the number of population it needed, but that doesn't seem to track?
Ranking points provided by a building which isn't an ancient wonder is population needed + culture needed. Also, as some wonders give population based on active population, you get back some population from these wonders as you use it, so that you actually need a bit less population than needed by the building.

ekarat

Okay, you're right. I'm looking at the population, and I have more efficient event buildings in my inventory still.

I just got back from a 1.5 year break from the game, and I'm still getting back up to speed. I'm also trying not to let fear of making a mistake cause me to hoard resources that should be spent. I still do need more orcs, though.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Ranking points may be the goal but as you have probably observed, your rank can go up and down a bit. The thing to focus on if you are considering ranking as a measure of your performance, is the ability to sustain a level of performance. To move up in the ranks then you build a bit faster than those around you and you will, therefore naturally move up.

Sustaining a level of performance is a question of optimization of space and production. More space means more production is possible better buildings mean you can remove (as you know) older, less efficient ones. In your case you have five challenges.

1) An excess of AW's. This will limit your space but can be very helpful if you get those AW's to at least level 10 or so. In my experience the GA is probably the most important of them and if you can move that one up even to level 15-20 it will help keep your population up. Do consider, though, which AW's you choose to move up to level 10 first. Some of them are giving you things you may not need for the space they take. The Enar's Embassy gives you one rune shard every week. And the Tome of Secrets one KP each day. Are these two a good use of the space? I didn't build them because I thought not. But you may have other calculations. Others to consider are the Endless Excavation -- supplies and 2 relics for each province scouted (are you short of relics or expect to be?)' Thrones of High Men -- ranking points and culture -- (can you get the ranking points more efficiently from another residence or other building?; and, Lighthouse of Good Neighbors -- increased effect of the EE spells and some mana (Do you use EE spells continuously? Do you need a mana boost and could the space used be better used for mana producing buildings?).

2) Too much unused population. The population number you see on the screen is the excess population you have. At your level having 8,000-10,000 on hand should satisfy your immediate needs and thus, anything in excess, is taking room and since your score is based partly on working population, excess pop doesn't help in that regard.. As SoggyShorts said, putting those ice rinks in storage might be a good idea. At 3700 pop each 3 of them could be stored without hurting your ability to grow. In any case, if you have 24 residences and 1 magic residence. That should be enough if you keep them up to the highest level possible and raise your GA to level 15 or so.

3) Sets. Each of your sets, to achieve maximum impact, must be arranged optimally. This has resulted in creating very large "blocks" of buildings which cannot be easily placed without wasting space. Each set has to be considered for the space it's taking and what's it contributing. Usually the lower the set, unless you've used RR spells to raise them up each chapter, the less it is worth. Removing the Phoenix Cult set, for instance, nets you an expansion and 1/2 since it's made up, in your case, of 7 buildings.

4) Keeping space for T1 level buildings. These can be thrown up in almost no time when needed and unless you have excessive space too many of them take up more space and are not as efficient as putting up only the ones you need. If an event calls for 5 workshop productions of 9 hours you should have 5 workshops working away at them. Sometimes maximizing and event performance might be worth it, but usually, I find, a moderate few extra T1 or Workshops is enough. If you are planning your event by looking at the list of quests you can gauge things pretty well and keep those number down.

5) Due to the number of AW's and other "excess" buildings you don't have a lot of space. Once you add the current portal and 8 admin buildings you have no space to complete the research tree for the chapter. You will, therefore, have to either buy more space or slow your pace/lower your ranking for a bit, to achieve a more efficient and effective city.

In addition, you might consider raising your portal to lvl 4, looking at egems to determine the total amount of resources you 8 admin buildings need to produce, producing that, and then removing most of them -- keeping 3-5 as necessary. Each one takes up 1 expansion so removing 5 would really help find the room for the other buildings you will need to complete the chapter.

Here is a link for how most of that might work:

Just my thoughts, and sorry if they are a "wall of text" but at least they aren't repetitive.

AJ

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Others to consider are the Endless Excavation -- supplies and 2 relics for each province scouted
This one is easy to dismiss until you compare it with the true size of a workshop. Every calculation I've done on it shows it to be more efficient than a workshop and thus a "must-have" wonder unless you always use a PoP spell
Just my thoughts, and sorry if they are a "wall of text" but at least they aren't repetitive.
I found it to be clear and comprehensive with each point being fairly concise.
The volume isn't an issue at all when covering so many points. Great post IMO.

Last edited:

ekarat

This event's
Ranking points may be the goal but as you have probably observed, your rank can go up and down a bit. The thing to focus on if you are considering ranking as a measure of your performance, is the ability to sustain a level of performance. To move up in the ranks then you build a bit faster than those around you and you will, therefore naturally move up.

Sustaining a level of performance is a question of optimization of space and production. More space means more production is possible better buildings mean you can remove (as you know) older, less efficient ones. In your case you have five challenges.

1) An excess of AW's. This will limit your space but can be very helpful if you get those AW's to at least level 10 or so. In my experience the GA is probably the most important of them and if you can move that one up even to level 15-20 it will help keep your population up. Do consider, though, which AW's you choose to move up to level 10 first. Some of them are giving you things you may not need for the space they take. The Enar's Embassy gives you one rune shard every week. And the Tome of Secrets one KP each day. Are these two a good use of the space? I didn't build them because I thought not. But you may have other calculations. Others to consider are the Endless Excavation -- supplies and 2 relics for each province scouted (are you short of relics or expect to be?)' Thrones of High Men -- ranking points and culture -- (can you get the ranking points more efficiently from another residence or other building?; and, Lighthouse of Good Neighbors -- increased effect of the EE spells and some mana (Do you use EE spells continuously? Do you need a mana boost and could the space used be better used for mana producing buildings?).

2) Too much unused population. The population number you see on the screen is the excess population you have. At your level having 8,000-10,000 on hand should satisfy your immediate needs and thus, anything in excess, is taking room and since your score is based partly on working population, excess pop doesn't help in that regard.. As SoggyShorts said, putting those ice rinks in storage might be a good idea. At 3700 pop each 3 of them could be stored without hurting your ability to grow. In any case, if you have 24 residences and 1 magic residence. That should be enough if you keep them up to the highest level possible and raise your GA to level 15 or so.

3) Sets. Each of your sets, to achieve maximum impact, must be arranged optimally. This has resulted in creating very large "blocks" of buildings which cannot be easily placed without wasting space. Each set has to be considered for the space it's taking and what's it contributing. Usually the lower the set, unless you've used RR spells to raise them up each chapter, the less it is worth. Removing the Phoenix Cult set, for instance, nets you an expansion and 1/2 since it's made up, in your case, of 7 buildings.

4) Keeping space for T1 level buildings. These can be thrown up in almost no time when needed and unless you have excessive space too many of them take up more space and are not as efficient as putting up only the ones you need. If an event calls for 5 workshop productions of 9 hours you should have 5 workshops working away at them. Sometimes maximizing and event performance might be worth it, but usually, I find, a moderate few extra T1 or Workshops is enough. If you are planning your event by looking at the list of quests you can gauge things pretty well and keep those number down.

5) Due to the number of AW's and other "excess" buildings you don't have a lot of space. Once you add the current portal and 8 admin buildings you have no space to complete the research tree for the chapter. You will, therefore, have to either buy more space or slow your pace/lower your ranking for a bit, to achieve a more efficient and effective city.

In addition, you might consider raising your portal to lvl 4, looking at egems to determine the total amount of resources you 8 admin buildings need to produce, producing that, and then removing most of them -- keeping 3-5 as necessary. Each one takes up 1 expansion so removing 5 would really help find the room for the other buildings you will need to complete the chapter.

Here is a link for how most of that might work:

AJ

I think you've got me wrong. My city represents me phoning it in 1.5 years ago, just prior to quitting. Now, I'm back and trying to update it. Here it is after another pass (you can see where the remaining admin buildings are going):

People generally have goals when they play, and mine is to get through content and get all the AWs. (That's a large part of why I quit when I finished all the existing content and why I'm back now that there are 3 more chapters.) You might roll your eyes at the AWs, but some people might roll their eyes at your pursuit of ranking points. I play tournaments for the rewards, not the ranking points, so I don't go as deep as others do -- the competition for the ranking points is too steep for me with a diminishing return on rewards, and many of the competitors have a lot more diamonds than I do.

I have excess population in expectation of more buildings. I am working on another T6 and armory. I did replace some weaker event buildings with ones I had in inventory, which may mean that I don't need another residence after all. We'll see. Also, the Witch Hut and the last two days of event buildings, produce orcs, so I might not need a third armory after all. We'll see. I did start the event one week late.

I did ask about sets, though I assumed that I could raise up any of them to the current chapter. I do have hundreds of royal restorations to apply, but I want to apply them to the best sets. I also don't want to hoard them in fear of wasting them, as I sometimes have a tendency to do. I did delete the Phoenix Cult set, as it's not particularly good, as well as particularly out of date, so it's not worth raising.

I'm not keeping dedicated space for level 1 buildings. I have unused space I keep level 1 buildings in the meantime while reserving the space for another purpose. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall, I tend to mark buildings as expendable and keep them until I need the space, then demolish them. It's just that in my 1.5 year break, I've forgotten which buildings were expendable. And I have managed to get as far as I have without struggling to get through a chapter.

ajqtrz

Some of your buildings are missing roads. I'm impressed with how you are keeping your sets intact and organized. I found that the hardest part of working with you city. I think the balance between progress through the research, ranking points, and having all the AW's will make it a difficult slog....but that's not always a bad thing. Sometimes setting your self hard goals is more fun than going the easy way. Like those players with herds of unicorns or who want to make the most beautiful city, "different strokes for different folks."

AJ

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
The only bldgs I see that are missing roads are a couple of lvl 1 workshops. I also tend to take those off a road when production completes for an upcoming event quest. He's got the needed space to swap those back and forth to collect as needed.
balance between progress through the research, ranking points, and having all the AW's will make it a difficult slog
But @ekarat doesn't care about ranking points. Just wants to move through the chapters and collect the AW's. That doesn't say 'difficult slog' to me...
I think you misunderstood the relevance of ranking points to ekarat. Thinking the number of ranking points gained through placing the building and/or building upgrade was equal to the amount of population that build/upgrade would cost made it appear more pop would be needed to increase T6 factories and armories:
I thought ranking points were equal to the number of population it needed, but that doesn't seem to track?

ekarat

The only bldgs I see that are missing roads are a couple of lvl 1 workshops. I also tend to take those off a road when production completes for an upcoming event quest. He's got the needed space to swap those back and forth to collect as needed.

But @ekarat doesn't care about ranking points. Just wants to move through the chapters and collect the AW's. That doesn't say 'difficult slog' to me...
I think you misunderstood the relevance of ranking points to ekarat. Thinking the number of ranking points gained through placing the building and/or building upgrade was equal to the amount of population that build/upgrade would cost made it appear more pop would be needed to increase T6 factories and armories:

That is correct. I was using that as an estimate of how much population I would need, but I now realize that was an overestimate.

ajqtrz

Yep. You are right. Somewhere I got the impression he wanted to move up in the rankings. Sorry. Don't know where I got the idea.

AJ

Clusseau

Wow.. so much to read here.. many Valid Point, but so many varying priorities...

Perhaps mine is simpler...
Ive collected... then Never Built.. each and every linked set.

My Own evaluation includes a Dragon (and provinces) that render any MANA benefits worthless...
Simlarly, any Seeds benefit... Provinces and AW levels make such benefits inconsequential.
Likewise, with most/All sets, benefits for Goods/Hammers/Coin are inconsequential.

Benefits from Sets can be measured by Culture, People, and KP.
Per Square.. or, per RR, My existing Evolving Buildings will occupy any available Resources for those categories.

Yes, save Upgrade of Evolving buildings for quests... and/or, even some blue buildings.
Im keeping some Cozy Farm, and Upgrading them too, for quests. But, have have never built even a single Set.