• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Why do YOU participate in the tournament?

plantlady

A fellow mage and I have just slightly different views about tournaments, which is perfectly fine, but every time those views clash, so to speak, it makes me curious about how a wider audience sees and participates in the tournament. I know that forum users aren't necessarily a wider audience, but there are several different playstyles here so I hope that will begin to sate my curiousity. :)

So why do YOU play the tournament? Solely for the group rewards so you stop at 10 chests? Or are individual rewards your focus and group rewards are just gravy? Somewhere in between?

Also, what is your context? Are you still doing research? Do you prepare (as much as we can anymore anyway) in advance or do whatever you can do? Do you fight and/or cater and does that influence your participation goals? Does the spire influence your tournament choices or vice versa?

Thank you in advance for any discussion. :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Just finishing ch 16. Will pause here to upgrade everything before starting 17.

I play in the tournament for the rewards -- both the fs and individual -- because without them other things would be much, much harder. The synergy between the various events, the Spire, and the tournaments reinforces my city and keeps it moving. I'm pretty sure if I skipped one it wold be much more difficult. The only thing we may skip is a FA because the rewards don't contribute much to our participation since to win anything you have to spend a lot of time in the pit.

AJ

Farinx

I do for all the rewards, group and individual. Getting more RR's is great so every chest beyond 10 is welcome. Sometimes I need the Relics. I love all the KPs too.

There's nothing really to prepare for, I just try to have all my favorite troops on hand at all times. I usually use 1 DA or 2 MMM/UUUs for the week. I fight where I can but cater when I need to. Spire doesn't usually influence me too much, but then again, I'm a hoarder ;)

Hope that helps and look forward to hearing your -vs- your other mage's viewpoints.

NightshadeCS

I play for ALL the rewards, individual and group.

Love Blueprints and RRs since I am fairly late in the chapters in two cities and like to upgrade those hard-won OP buildings from events past.

I need the relics for enchantments (which leads directly to crafting, also), and also to keep my boost up since I am entering the stage where all relic types will be used for boosting the 3 levels of goods.

I fight a lot, though in one city I have a huge stockpile of goods, so I will cater when the mix of goods required lines up well with those things I have an excess of. I also use a Fire Phoenix or temporary boost buildings most of the time.

I go all the way to the top in the Spire (except in my smallest city, where that is still a big effort), so make double use of my temp boost buildings and Fire chicken.

I try to maintain a pretty consistent tournament score. It goes up and down a bit based on my RL commitments and harder pushes in tournies that I really need relics for, but I try not to drop below a certain level. I want the people in my group to know that I am going to be reliable.

My prep is negligible, since I produce everything I can all the time, so always have a stockpile of whatever goods or troops I am going to need. This is easy for me, since I can log in multiple times a day and may not be possible for others.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Hi there. Hmm where to start?
I love tournament, because I love fighting; for me, the extra rewards are a bonus incentive.
I have been playing for over 5 years, since before tournament was introduced as a game feature, and then when it was too hard for small players to fight. It's changed many times:
-To be easier with the 'new' fight system
- To allow us to tourney with our fellowships
AND BLUEPRINTS! were added
- To a new point structure :(
- To be only 4 encounters perprovince
- To having final rewards be KP instants
- To add in Royal Restoration spells
- The versions of encounters
- And then the recent restructure: difficulty levels, costs, more chests, less encounters.

I was so tourney focused, back when it changed to be easier, then to be fellowship oriented, that in the end I had to leave the fellowship that was my home and form what became the 10 chest fellowship that many of the others were modelled upon. But first we had to show folks that it could be done.

I tourney because I love it. At any level, at any point, the rewards are worth the effort. My cities are structured to fight and to back that up by occasionally catering, where fighting is not feasible.

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Context: Fight tourney, cater to High Halls, fight Lab. Still researching.

I fight tourneys for the RRs, blueprints, farm KPs, and have short term goal posts to target/guide my city. It lets me see how my city is progressing. Every now and then, I’ll go all out to see how many provinces my city can do. It adds a challenge to push the boundaries and keeps things interesting. I don’t have all the fancy toys yet (Polar Bear, Timewarp, etc.) so it’s to be able to do it as efficiently as possible with what I’ve got to work with. I’ve only recently gotten my Fire Phoenix to level 10 in the Ashen Phoenix event so now I am trying to see how far I get on pet feeds by weening off 5-day expiring military buildings. Otherwise, I’d prob be really bored! Fighting the Lab in Spire to me is a “future proof” solution to solving the Spire since I won’t have to worry about running out of any goods, even if they keep introducing new resources each chapter since that is the most resource intensive segment. Having “solved” the Spire, I consider it a constant and a nonfactor now, which leaves tourney and settlements to contend with. The settlement stuff to me is mostly putting down buildings and watching the sand fall from the hour glass. If you are “good” at it (have a big settlement) or portal profit your way through to next chapter, you are then given an even bigger hour glass to stare at until things crawl at a glacial pace in the late chapters. I don’t find that as mentally challenging, but is a nice change of scenery to observe new artwork in your city.*

*Orc chapter does not apply

Iyapo1

Sitting at the end of chapter 7 not moving atm. I cater everything.

I tournament for kp, relics and points. Usually I will just hit 15 to 6 stars unless it is my CC relic or if I need extra kp or need to clear event quests or create FA badges. I very rarely put a toe past province 20. As long as the FS gets the 10 chests I am happy. If I stick my toe past tent 20 I start having resource problems in the lab. I like topping the spire so I stay back.

Gladiola

I am in chapter 3, soon to be chapter 4. I fight unless I will be defeated or lose too many troops, and then I cater. Right now my goal is finishing 7 provinces to 6 stars. This is mostly because that is as many provinces as I have unlocked. Eventually if it is feasible I want to do 10 provinces to 6 stars.

I play both for the individual rewards, especially the relics, and especially for my boosts (although all of them will be my boosts eventually) and also to help my fellowship get the group rewards. It's awesome to get the blueprint and all the other goodies each week.

DeletedUser20539

I look forward to the tournaments every week. I love the fight and have tried to build my city to be competitive in the fight! :mad: grrrrr hehehe)
I also enjoy competing for a position in the top 10 in my FS. Most of the time I am able to fight. Sometimes I negotiate. Whatever it takes.
The prizes are a nice bonus because they work towards making my armies stronger.

AtaguS

Context:
Beginning of ch17
Top of Spire Weekly
Average 5k+ in Tourney
City designed to promote fighting strength

Approach:
I look at the tournaments as a chance to challenge my city to see how far it can go.
That was easier before the recent tourney changes but I'm adjusting over time.
We do 14 chests regularly in my fs and even if I'm having a slow week I'll make sure my efforts are contributing to achieving that again.
Individual rewards are fantastic. That we pull together and get so many chests is equally awesome.
However if I were in a fellowship that didn't get 10 or more chests I would still pursue a personal high score each week.

DeletedUser26243

A fellow mage and I have just slightly different views about tournaments, which is perfectly fine, but every time those views clash, so to speak, it makes me curious about how a wider audience sees and participates in the tournament. I know that forum users aren't necessarily a wider audience, but there are several different playstyles here so I hope that will begin to sate my curiousity. :)

So why do YOU play the tournament? Solely for the group rewards so you stop at 10 chests? Or are individual rewards your focus and group rewards are just gravy? Somewhere in between?

Also, what is your context? Are you still doing research? Do you prepare (as much as we can anymore anyway) in advance or do whatever you can do? Do you fight and/or cater and does that influence your participation goals? Does the spire influence your tournament choices or vice versa?

Thank you in advance for any discussion. :)
I'm in the middle of chapter 7 Fairy do both the the T n the spire. Can climb to top of spire great rewards I try to make it B4 the T starts Don't think I will do that no more wasting my time boost which I can be using for training used to cater but now fighting a lot. In the T I fight but without the DA from spire or the troop buildings I craft I couldn't do it.The relics I get from the T helps alot for my crafting,plus the KP n enrichment's I think the T n spire sort of go hand in hand,so I dont do one with out the other. Being in a good FS is the biggest plus it takes team effort and the rewards are shared by all By participating in these things adds to the advancement of my city n ranking of our FS. Our FS gets 13 chests weekly so that is a big plus with the blueprint that I get I can use to upgrade my magic workshop that i sometimes get in the spire

plantlady

Thank you for all the replies so far. I love reading all the different ways we phrase how we love to play!

My cities are also set up for (auto)fighting (except for one tiny chapter 3 city that caters all). I am not a huge scorer in tournaments, but I average between 3-4K usually. Most of my cities go to the top of the spire, though only regularly for the last few months. I almost exclusively fight in the tournament and both fight and negotiate the spire, depending on the enemies. I have one city in the sweet spot at the end of Fairies and the others range from Elementals to Elvenar-by-next-week. I finally have a level 10 Fire Phoenix in all the fighting ones. I love both the FS and individual rewards. I have a plan for what I want to accomplish in KP, spells and relics each tournament. And I favor event buildings, so I would be quite sad without RRs for the best ones. :)

The FS in question (on another account) gets 10-12 chests each week. My fellow mage believes anything past 10 chests is a waste of resources if we are not close to another chest or participating in the FA. I have seen that perspective before from other players in the Facebook groups. I don't agree, because at that point people are likely still pursuing their individual rewards/goals, and I don't consider that a waste. In my opinion, the only person who can decide if anything is a waste of resources is the individual player.

I don't think it is possible to reconcile those two views. I don't think it's necessary to reconcile them, but it is interesting occasionally to muse about it.

NightshadeCS

I would say you are quite a good scorer! That is better than my average, for sure.

I agree with you 100% that it is not a waste to keep going in the tournament even when you have gotten past 10 chests. Now, if your Mage wants to let people off the hook from getting a minimum amount of points or something, then that is generous. Perhaps they don't want people sinking a lot of goods/troops when they don't have to.

But, they should not discourage people who may need/want those enchantments, relics, KP, shards, whatever in the later rounds of the tourney. Sometimes I really need MMs, for example, so am doing those first provinces all the way out to 6 stars.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I have fellows who pretty much stop when 10 chests is achieved, say no more effort is needed. But we are tourneyers; and, if we say that, there will always be that player who doesn't make minimum and thinks that they should stop. Or the players who secretly despise some for putting up less than 5k! Your tournament is just that - yours!!

maeter75

Chapter 17, been playing for ~4 years (before they even had tournaments)
average about 3500 score each tournament. This is all 6 rounds in ~12 encounters
I do it for the rewards, both team and individual. The individual ones for the tournament are really good when you add up all the spells, relics, and KP you get from all the encounters.
Also I need the relics since I always have the Magic Academy running making things.

I did take a break and did lighter tournaments for a while in an old group but its amazing how quick you can use up relics when crafting all the time.

DeletedUser29117

Unlike many people on this forum, I’m still in chapter 3(nearing the end!), but Tourney still gives great prizes. I do it for the relics, rune shards, blueprints, and many other prizes, team and individual. Going past ten chest gets you more prizes- not a waste of effort.
Spire is my main source of diamonds and timer instants.

Huor

Tournament, events, and the spire for the fun and prizes. The fellowship adventure because it's part of the game and good to see who is really part of the team. One day I'll get one of those blueprint things I've been hearing about. lol.