• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Why do YOU participate in the tournament?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Not sure how I missed this thread when it was started back in May, but anyway, I participate in the tournament for all the goodies that help me advance through the chapters and help improve my city. If there are ever no more chapters, and I reached the end, then the tournament would be useless to me because I would be done with the game, and it would not be long after this that I would quit and find something new. The tournament is not the game, only a part of the game.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Unlike many people on this forum, I’m still in chapter 3(nearing the end!), but Tourney still gives great prizes. I do it for the relics, rune shards, blueprints, and many other prizes, team and individual. Going past ten chest gets you more prizes- not a waste of effort.
Spire is my main source of diamonds and timer instants.

And that is a good point. Newer cities should play the tourny as much as possible to get those relics.
We "older" folks tend to ignore the relics except when we need them for events.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
And that is a good point. Newer cities should play the tourny as much as possible to get those relics.
We "older" folks tend to ignore the relics except when we need them for events.

Just wait til the new version on Beta and EN gets to the rest of the Live servers, where you get some of each of the nine relics each week, instead of just one relic type each week. Strategies will change.

Starr621

Tournament has a lot of great rewards and you can adjust how far you want to go based on your resources and military.

As much as I dislike the Spire, the first floor is not really too difficult and it's worth the chance to get good prizes. Second floor can be quite expensive and third floor is not worth it at all unless you are in a fellowship that can get the gold trophy.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
As much as I dislike the Spire, the first floor is not really too difficult and it's worth the chance to get good prizes. Second floor can be quite expensive and third floor is not worth it at all unless you are in a fellowship that can get the gold trophy.

Well it is possible to still get good prizes solo, especially from the boss or bonus chests.
But I think you are probably right. If your FS is not getting the group rewards, the risk/reward on the third floor is probably not worth it.
I will say, if you start liking the Spire and your FS still does not play it hard. There are more and more FS' making Spire Gold a main goal.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
My motivation is that I want the blueprint as well as the royal restorations ... as many of those as I can get. So I do help my team get as many chests as possible, since each one after 10 has another rr. We normally get 13 chests. I also play for the KP to get research done more quickly. I will usually play as many level 1 provinces as I can, as well as level 2. On level three and four, I'll play all the ones that I know will earn me kp in level 5. In level 5, I play only the ones that give me kp, unless I think that my team could get another chest if I go further. Likewise with the last star level ... I'll only do that one if I think we can get another chest. If we can't, then I forget the last star.

For round one, I normally open between 25-35 provinces, but in a hard push week I have opened 40.

Darielle

Tournament has a lot of great rewards and you can adjust how far you want to go based on your resources and military.

The third floor is worth it whether or not your team makes gold. It takes a lot of goods, that's true (or 5-day buildings, if you fight). But it's definitely worth it. It's nice to get a great prize from the big boss, like a genie, a workshop, or 150 diamonds. So far I've gotten 4 workshops and 7 or 8 magic residences in about 13 months of spire play, as well as trading stations, genies, and multiple times the diamonds. It's worth the goods it takes. Sure, you'll get an occasional portal profit from the big guy and that sucks, but the rare times when you get the huge prizes certainly makes up for it. Just make sure not to spend as many diamonds going up as you know you'll get back, and you'll be better off week after week. Good luck.

zalfenior

Its mostly for the rewards, but I enjoy helping my team get ahead too. The knowledge points alone are more than worth it, but add in the runes/shards/spells and relics from just playing and the royal restorations, KP instants and blueprints and its a sweet deal all around.

bkbajb

I play for the KP and RR and blueprints. KP is mainly for upgrading my AW's. As our FS has grown we now average 14 chests a week and get 19 for the Steel tournament.

Starr621

Just make sure not to spend as many diamonds going up as you know you'll get back, and you'll be better off week after week. Good luck.

That's the part that kind of worries me about the third floor. Once you get to convinces with 6 or more options, the odds of success drastically reduce compared to 5 or less. I know I can do the third floor for multiple weeks but I don't think that is sustainable every week unless I am willing to pay the 25 diamonds more often than I feel I should because I am going to have multiple convince failures. Of course, I will fight the encounters that have favorable matchups every chance I can so that helps. One thing I was thinking was making my decision based off the rewards I get from the first two floors. If I am winning a lot of diamonds that week, I might make a move on the 3rd floor. Otherwise, I might hold off that week and build up my resources. I would happily spend the diamonds won from the gold spire rewards for extra turns as this would help save me plenty of resources and hit floor 3 each week so that I could win more of the better prizes like genies as you mentioned.

Note: I am still just a chapter 4 player so I'm hoping down the road I will have a stronger military and resource income to consistently complete floor 3 each week.

Dew Spinner

That's the part that kind of worries me about the third floor. Once you get to convinces with 6 or more options, the odds of success drastically reduce compared to 5 or less. I know I can do the third floor for multiple weeks but I don't think that is sustainable every week unless I am willing to pay the 25 diamonds more often than I feel I should because I am going to have multiple convince failures. Of course, I will fight the encounters that have favorable matchups every chance I can so that helps. One thing I was thinking was making my decision based off the rewards I get from the first two floors. If I am winning a lot of diamonds that week, I might make a move on the 3rd floor. Otherwise, I might hold off that week and build up my resources. I would happily spend the diamonds won from the gold spire rewards for extra turns as this would help save me plenty of resources and hit floor 3 each week so that I could win more of the better prizes like genies as you mentioned.

Note: I am still just a chapter 4 player so I'm hoping down the road I will have a stronger military and resource income to consistently complete floor 3 each week.
You can do 3 floors now, I have been doing all of the 3rd floor since I unlocked it and in the beginning I never spent diamonds. Only recently started too, a little bit. I learned early on that you need to build your city to withstand Spire, after that everything else is fairly easy because a city built to kick butt in Spire, cater and fight, can do anything else in the game.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
I do tourney/spire for the rewards, both the individual rewards and the fellowship rewards. I don't like fighting, but auto-fight all of spire and most of the tourney as I find it cheaper than catering. Ironically I spend many of the rewards on being able to continue fighting spire/tourney every week (and hopefully improve over time), so I love the rewards that makes me fight even more:(
(My goal is to try to build the "perfect" city, sadly that involves a lot of fighting.)

Darielle

I've gotten to the top every week for months now, and I usually cater the top (sometimes fight, but that's only when I'm doing a push week on tourney and have all my five-days out and fire fed.) The most important thing to remember is that if you don't have a good hand after the first try, withdraw. Don't take that second and third try ... you'll just throw good stuff after bad. Withdraw and then try again with a new round of three tries. By "good," I mean items unneeded ... not green check marks.

If you've got, say, 7 items and 5 spirits, the last thing you want is to get 4 green check marks and one no one needs it. That means that you have two tries left and have six items to choose from for the last spirit ... a dismal one in three chance of winning. However, if you get on the first try three "no one needs it" and 2 "wrong item," well, that's a lot better. Now you have only four items left and five spirits, and you know that two have already rejected two items, so for those two spirits, you have a two tries and three items left to choose from ... double the chance of the first scenario. And for the other three spirits, you know what two of them want already (though you don't know which two, but still, much better odds.

Anyway, remember to withdraw ... it's easier to lose goods than it is to lose diamonds, or at least it hurts less. There have been times when I've spent up to 75 diamonds to get to the top of the spire (actually up to 100, as long as I won at least 25 along the way, so 75 overall). That doesn't include the diamonds I'll get back when my team gets to either silver or gold. If I spent up to 75 and we only get silver, well, I've gained 50 diamonds for the week plus all the other goodies. But most weeks I actually don't spend any diamonds on my way up. I just keep withdrawing until I get something I like .... on a big boss I've been known to withdraw 6 times, if the odds are too dismal otherwise. Yes, it's expensive, but look at it this way ... withdrawing six times on the first try and then going on to win means that it takes 8 total guesses to win. That's not that bad, when you're talking about the big boss at the time. I would never have to do that much on a lower boss, so it works out. Good luck.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
If you've got, say, 7 items and 5 spirits, the last thing you want is to get 4 green check marks and one no one needs it. That means that you have two tries left and have six items to choose from for the last spirit .

The chances for winning may be low in this case, but the price for continuing is also low - you only need to offer one of the goods (and one could be coins if you have that one left).

Starr621

Perhaps I haven't done the convinces with 6 options enough. I guess I just have to get comfortable with withdrawing more often (I pretty much always withdraw when I see 4 or 5 yellows).

There are 4 encounters with 7 options and the final boss has 8 options. Maybe I'll just save my diamonds for those encounters if needed. The silver prize makes up for all of those with 125 diamonds. I'm satisfied as long as I break even or make a small profit in diamonds from the spire.

Darielle

The chances for winning may be low in this case, but the price for continuing is also low - you only need to offer one of the goods (and one could be coins if you have that one left).
That's a good point, but one thing I've learned about the top of the spire ... it almost always wants the expensive stuff. Low value items are mostly in the lower floors. So if you're going to throw a low value item at it in the top floor, then your chances are probably far less than 1 in 3.

But, if you have the coins to spare, then, heck, you might get a miracle. You never know! :)

Starr621

I will say this...getting SW 50% is a big turnoff and I seem to be getting it way more than 30% of the time lol

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I will say this...getting SW 50% is a big turnoff and I seem to be getting it way more than 30% of the time lol
SW =Supply windfall. And you are complaining about it? Don't worry it gets replaced with a low level portal profit soon enough.

Starr621

SW =Supply windfall. And you are complaining about it? Don't worry it gets replaced with a low level portal profit soon enough.

Compared to the other prizes yes it's a massive disappointment when you get it kind of like the dummy prize. It makes good fodder for the spire but then that kind of defeats the purpose of advancing up the spire LOL
I like the analogy of it being compared to winning a free pie in a pie eating contest

Last edited: