• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Why play?

• Thread starter DeletedUser1384
  • Start date

DeletedUser1384

I've reached a point in the game where I don't see a reason to play. I would stay if things were a little more reasonable, but that's not the case. I've maxed out the ability to gain expansions by scouting. And to buy an expansion it would cost 7000 diamonds. There's no way I'll ever pay that much just to add space. So I can't expand my city anymore. I prefer to keep my city in the "Orc" type settlement. But I'd have to replace my whole city to have the room to advance to another expansion thru research. So I'm basically at a stand still.
Is there any chance to add more expansions another way? Or do I just call it a day and find a new game?

InvincibleRailroad

I have been sitting at the end of chapter 14 for a while now. Just building goods and adding a few more boosted factories. Expansions would cost me 8500 ea, no way will I pay that. But, on a brighter side, when they changed to the beach theme it appears there is more room now for expansions. So there is hope of more province expansions coming. We can only hope and wait.

bkbajb

It may take patience but after deciding to not buy diamonds I saved up enough diamonds from wishing wells to buy 2 3,800 diamond premium culture buildings. I had a few left to start with but 7,000 is doable.

Deborah, I have done the same. It requires patience to do but it does work. Lately I see so many people saying that they are done. To me these are players that do not want to be patient and want everything for free now. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years and am almost done with Halflings. I spend a lot of time upgrading my AW's which is slow but offers many benefits. I am looking forward to the Spire but I see so many complaints in Beta. How many will say they are quitting over that?

dikke ikke

I started 'sattelite' cities in the 6 us servers where i did not have a city in, they are all at level 2 now and will slowly evolve to level 3, there is no reason to rush. But the last big event gave me the chance to turn all 6 of them in Diamond farms. It is time consuming but 30+ extra WW is nice to have, the diamonds i use to slowly turn my main city blue, the other stuff i get from the local WW remain in the local sattelite city

Shellizzie

There is no reason to play if you do not enjoy the game.
I finished chapter 14 a couple of weeks ago, so in reality I have nothing left to do but wait. However enjoy my fellowship greatly. I enjoy futzing around in my city with little things. I enjoy helping my other fellowship members out with trades and advice. So while I technically have nothing left to do, I still enjoy my time in the game.
If you don't enjoy it, then it is time to find something else.

DeletedUser20951

There is no reason to play if you do not enjoy the game.
Woo! PREACH IT. Don't think I've ever tried to convince someone to stay when they no longer enjoy playing, other than commiserating about different rough patches in the game, as I see it as that simple. The main purpose of games is to have fun and if no fun is being had, while the choice isn't exactly clear due to the desire to have all of the previous time and effort put in realized in some way, it is ultimately an effort in futility to permanently stick around when the actual gameplay experience is unpleasant.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I'm in chapter 13 in my only city. I am the AM of my fs so that gives me something to do besides watch the paint dry. On the other hand, I expect I will reach the end of the lne in the next few months, unless they release a new chapter, in which case it could be as much as a year. In any case, the question is, "what then?"

In thinking a about it here are a few things one could do when that fateful moment arrives. Some have been mentioned by others.

1) Start a new city. (More on this later)
2) Tinker with your city. Efficiencies can be had, improvements are almost always possible. Use the ElvenArchiect to see if you really do have the best layout -- then change it.
3) Join a small and struggling fs and help them become a big and stable fs -- you big city could be a real boost as could your experience and know-how.
4) Tear it all down and start again -- this time focusing on making it a "production" city, a "Fellowship Adventure" city, a "beautiful city" or some other idea.

When you find you have reached the end of the line ask yourself why you played in the first place. Most of us play because we enjoy something -- the fellowship we are in, the sense of accomplishment as we move through the game, or perhaps, the actual creative process we engage in in finding just the right path forward. So why did you play? Whatever the reason you will find it's still there, even if it means starting again.

Now when I say starting over I mean a new city. Now with a new city you can set your self some different goals. Maybe you want to build it faster than before? Reach the end of the research in X months? Maybe you want to build it using 0 diamonds this time? Maybe you want to make it look and feel EXACTLY like the one you just built (which would be a challenge as you'd have to duplicate every building!). Or maybe you want to build a FA city, a beautiful city, an efficient city, or a city with a certain color scheme. The point is, a new city can be just as much of a challenge as the old, and just as fun. So start a new city. That's probably what I'll do when I complete my current one.

AJ

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
When you find you have reached the end of the line ask yourself why you played in the first place. Most of us play because we enjoy something -- the fellowship we are in, the sense of accomplishment as we move through the game, or perhaps, the actual creative process we engage in in finding just the right path forward. So why did you play? Whatever the reason you will find it's still there, even if it means starting again.

Exactly! I enjoyed this game early on because I really like evolving my city. The only exception was while I was HATING what ugly Orcs did to it. Then I did have my personal goals that I worked toward besides just the chapters. Because of spending most of my time in this game in couple of top FS one of the self inflicted drawbacks was staying in top rankings with unenthusiastic goal of making it to page 1. That being accomplished it became an expensive grind with a whole lot of frustration to fit guest races even with all expansions. Something happened that tipped me to say 'done with playing like this'. I sold off a whole lot of premium buildings and started making my city back the way I enjoyed in the first place. I now have plenty of room for shanty town for events, FA's or new chapters. More important is that I have room and have filled a lot of space with event buildings. One of my favorite parts of the game was always evolving my city to new styles with chapters and evolving my event and even premium culture+ buildings. I did keep my goal of having all AW and I still like the variety and theme of ancient city remains. Kind of touristy I guess. Anyway, I have greatly improved my enjoyment of the game and am no longer thinking about quitting.

Last edited:

SunsetDanar

I, like many of us, have purchased a few expansions and usually wait for the sale. Currently, I have 16 remaining and considering that they increase in price by 500 diamonds for each succeeding one, at the regular price I would be spending 156,000 diamonds to obtain the remaining ones. With new expansions apparently forthcoming and with the likelihood that the majority of them will be arriving wearing the "Premium" tag, I'll suggest that a ceiling price needs to be considered at some point.

DeletedUser20951

I would like to mention that every human being, to some extent, becomes dissatisfied with the current situation, no matter how beneficial, simply because of a lack of novelty that helps to alleviate the boredom caused by existence. Pushing through this ennui usually reveals true enjoyment.