• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winter Magic - Discussion

Aritra

You get about 5,000 keys if you complete all of the quests, log in each day, and collect around your city a few times per day.
If you blindly open every single box that's 200 presents without any doubles or the 3&4 present boxes.
200 presents gets you 10 grand prizes of which 1,3,5,7,9 are artifacts. Plus the 2 milestone artifacts for completing quest #20&70 makes 7 artifacts.
With the worst possible luck, all 11 times that you use your 2x bonus results in 11 extra presents. for the other 189 boxes that you open at least some of them will be 2,3, or 4 present boxes so another 9 bonus presents is pretty certain for 1 more artifact (GP #11)
To get that final needed 9th artifact you would need to be clearing boards at least enough to get the bonus presents. (5K keys could clear a dozen boards granting around 40 more bonus presents).

So, if you get the boxes that give bonus presents on each board that you touch you are almost guaranteed a fully evolved owl.
But what about the reshuffle? Well, if you pay to use it just a few times and never hit a bonus present box with your 2x boost, or miss half of the key collections around your city, or stop after clearing half boards without finding the bonus presents, then you will end up short.

On the other hand, If you think there is an FA coming up that will offer the usual 2 artifacts as rewards, then you can hit reshuffle up to 33x almost doubling your daily prize take and still get 7 artifacts guaranteed plus those 2 from the FA for a fully evolved owl.
Thanks for your breakdown. As you've seen by now, I'm not really a numbers person (rather, because I'm not numbers-inclined, I have not taken the time to break down the math). I find my share of success through being a bit more sensory, intuitional, conceptual, etc. I appreciate the precise numbers-based analytics you and others often provide.

Blue-Iris

I am very disappointed with the Winter Magic quests ..... so much fighting! I like the game because I don't have to fight.

I don't fight, either, and I haven't had to fight in Winter Magic. It may be one that takes up a lot of time (one took 14 days for pet food to appear in my MA recipes so I could avoid fighting, and it was early in the game, very frustrating), but there's always an alternative.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
The quest line hasnt rly been that bad. They removed so many of the problematic quests like 'complete a provenience' and 48 productions. So naturally they are left with a smaller list of available quests. So some times it might seem repetitive. And with the exception of the fist 5-10 'simple' quests, there hasnt been a need for spamming t1 buildings either.

I also like how the exchanging/using of the key currency is a lot faster then the old 'pick one of three chests' style.

However.. i am concerned about the artifacts. Im thinking i might not be getting them all this time around. (and iv gotten them for every evolving building so far.) But im on quests 70~/90~ and just used half my available currency. And i only got two artifacts. And the same held true on my second city. (and i was goign specifically after artifacts). So i see some seriouse luck being a factor on whether i get 9 or not. But its easier to see it failing to happen then to happen right now.
I'm a bit confused. That's one of the reasons I like this format. With every box I open, I progress. As long as I have keys, I'll make it through the waypoints naturally and acquire the artifacts at set intervals. I'm at quest #77 and have six artifacts. I've never fully evolved a building in an event before so I'm excited. The highest I ever evolved in an event before was level seven, which is where I would be if I stopped now. But it isn't over yet. There are still fifteen days of 25 minimum daily keys, plus outskirts, plus remaining quests. I've been using my keys, but also holding some back for "just in case" for future buildings I want. I have not kept track of the number keys acquired vs spent but I have artifacts plus every building I wanted (with some left over for future use) so I've been using them quite a bit. Seems to me that the only way possible to have that few artifacts with quests that progressed is if you're simply not spending enough keys yet to progress on the path through those waypoints (yet). Having two artifacts lines up with what is obtained by quests alone. Spend your keys and you'll get there, but spend wisely so you can maximize your winnings along the way. I suppose there could be a luck factor regarding opening a box containing more than one step, but I wouldn't think the difference would be so significant to jeopardize artifacts. [Or am I missing something?]

I do like the format; mainly for the speed at which i can cash in currency.
As for the artifacts, i got 2 artifact strictly from cashing in 1745 keys. Im not counting the two artifacts you get as bonus from quest rewards. If i estimate another 2 artifacts from my remaining currency then id be at a grand total of 6. - Would i be able to get 3 artifacts from they keys won from the remaining quests i have to do plus the daily keys? That would be the question on whether or not i would be able to evolve the owl fully.

Granted.. i dont have any plans of placing the owl in my city right now. I honestly havnt placed a single evolving building they have released since the fire phoenix. But i do make sure to at least acquire them all, and the artifacts to evolve them should i one day change my mind.

Over all i like the event set up/machinics. The only thought i really had while doing it was that the cost and use of the 'examine 2 squares' and the '2x' where a bit inefficient if your looking at it from a planning strategically mind set. Id rather see them both at say 8; as opposed to 15 and 17. That would be one use after unlocking half a board. I think that would make it a more enjoyable system, at least to me.

GlamDoll

@GlamDoll I have always used automatic battle. I may not do as well as manual battles but I really don’t care enough to compete with folks who are all in.

Same here. Although, my troop loses are considerable, without troop boosts buildings...so, I might cave & take the plunge, if I run out of them. I prefer auto as well. The game is just too 'clunky' for my tastes, but if I can learn to manual some, at least in Spire, it may be worth me spending longer in there...

My squad size is starting to get ridiculous, and I am as maxed as I can be with it in Elementals. I almost cringe at the thought of more AW levels/placed expansions/ and further Chapters. I have pretty much resolved myself to having extremely limited game play with everything. (Spire, tournys & Events)...

If that was/is the desired goal by Inno, then they get 5 stars! Aces! Full house! Nailed it!

Deleted User - 4565442

I think that's fair.
Those who have it didn't just "play in 2016"
They bought it with real $$$ (or hit a 1 in a million chance)
Then they kept it for years taking up a huge chunk of space while it slowly lost value (Royal restorations didn't exist back then)

I think those players deserve their unique prize.

1608571436984.png

Bye bye my beautiful globe
Nasty people will never make me have you
I wouldn't expect one until after the holidays.

Next event is February so there will be plenty time for adventure. They have Christmas break.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I wanted to finally have Tower of the Winter King in town, even 1 building.
But no, if you didn't play in 2016 you can forget about having this beautiful building...
The Tower of the Winter King was very rare and special. I ran 2 cities through the 2016 Winter event, one in chapter 5 and one in dwarf. I am on the game a minimum of 3 times a day, and I never got the third grand prize. That is how the events were designed back then, we had to buy 'snowflakes' (ugh those were really hard to spot), or get some really awesome free snowflake awards. I had a fellow that pulled that off; she played for advances on really cr@ppy daily reward days, for the relics in the chests (she was overscouted, and was hitting the orc wall). Anyway she got insanely lucky with free replays. But that was rare. I was in a rank 5 FS, I think 2 gemmers got the award, besides her.

Deleted User - 3932582

In all fairness, it's not like former supermax prizes never made an appearance later on as much more available ones. AFAIK, Cozy Farm used to be a grand prize #3, and yet later on it was one of the dailies. I still have a few.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
it's not like former supermax prizes never made an appearance later
Indeed, and it's unfortunate.
I still had my Venar's II from the first event ever and when they made the Venar's III into a daily prize my little trophy was rather diminished.

I'm totally cool with the exact same or even better stats on new buildings, but leaving some as uniques would be nice IMO

Deleted User - 4565442

In all fairness, it's not like former supermax prizes never made an appearance later on as much more available ones. AFAIK, Cozy Farm used to be a grand prize #3, and yet later on it was one of the dailies. I still have a few.

We had high hopes for winter after 4 max prizes of halloween were daily this year, but IG didn't fail to disappoint

LutherTheHairy

Also, no FA so far on Beta.

I am tired. I don't want to organize and plan another FA, but if I have a bunch of players who are an artifact or two short and they want it, I will. I am hoping we see an MA recipe that lets us craft old unused artifacts into an snowy owl one. I have a golem artifact and a bear paw artifact I could use.

The goblin gift shop is nothing to sneeze at.

You must be one of those fortunates who is not allergic to Goblin bristles. I go in there, and I am a wreck for days.

Vigali

Quick Stats for me:

Keys Acquired
Quest Keys:
2,774 (83 quests completed)
Daily Gift Keys: 525 (21 days * 25 keys)
Reward Keys: 250 (from completing 45 total quests)
Pickup Keys: 528
Total Keys Acquired: 4098

Key Usage
Boxes Opened: 91 (5 rounds where I opened all 16, 1 round where I opened 11 and reshuffled).
Shuffles Used: 1
Keys Spent: 2,320 ((91 * 25) + 45)
Current Keys: 1,778

Expected Keys Remaining
Remaining Quest Keys:
Remaining Daily Gift Keys: 300
Remaining Pickup Keys: 300 (averaging 25 per day so far, with 12 days to go)
Total Keys Remaining: 1126
Total Remaining + Current: 2,904

Prizes Earned
Gifts:
118 (79 from opening non-gift boxes, 39 as the reward for opening the box)
Grand Prizes: 5 (3 owls, 2 other, 18/20 on the 6th)
Daily Prizes: 7 Elvenade Logistics Centers (I only used keys on Day 21 of the event, and got a single 2x on the daily)
Buildings: Frozen Blue Flame x3, Winter Shrine x2, Frozen Unicorn x1, Frozen Orange Flame x1, Winter Forest Shrine x1, Candy Cane Unicorn x1, Frozen Green Flame x1, Snow Sculpture x2
KP: 52
Units: 10 Mages x2, 5 Heavy Ranged x3, 5 Heavy Melee x2, 5 Light Ranged x2, 5 Mages x4, 5 Light Infantry x2,
Instants: I failed to track this properly, but I got several low levelcoin rains/supply windfalls/ancient knowledges
Relics: Didn't track this at all.

Overall Feelings
My approach here was pretty simple -- open boxes until I've gotten the daily prize + all of the gift boxes. If I got the daily prize + all gift boxes early (and by early I mean, there were at least 3-4 boxes left to be open), I would use a reshuffle; otherwise, if there were only a few boxes left, I would open them to get the automatic reshuffle. I did get a little lucky with the timing of the Reveal 2 and Double Rewards -- they always came up when I was near the end of a board -- and I did get Reveal 2 to reveal Gifts once and Daily once, so that was nice.

As you can see from the fact that I only used 1 reshuffle, I didn't get particularly lucky with my box openings. Of the 6 total rounds I went through, I opened the last Gifts or the daily prize in one of the final 3 boxes 4 times. One time, it was on the 11th box I opened, so I used the reshuffle. it was the 4th to last box, but I chose to spent 75 keys opening 3 boxes instead of 45 keys to reshuffle (because I knew there was a 5kp reward in there, so 3 gifts + 5kp + reshuffle seemed better than spending 45 keys for a reshuffle alone).

I hope I get a bit luckier on box openings for my next round (which I'll be doing on the Frozen Owl Cave day), but overall, I'm quite happy with this event. I have a lot of keys remaining, and based on my average of 19.66 keys per Gift, I should get another 148 Gifts over my remaining keys. If those numbers hold true, I'll get 8 more Grand Prizes, which will mean 4 more Owl artifacts, which will guarantee me a Stage 10 Owl even without an FA. I've also averaged a Daily Prize every 331 keys, which means I can expect another 8.77 daily prizes, for a grand total of 15 daily prizes. Given that I got relatively unlucky in my box openings in the first round, I don't expect those numbers to go down any, but they might go up a tick, so that could be even better.

TL;DR: I like the event. Getting lots of prizes is fun. Guaranteed dailies is very cool too, especially when there are individual prizes you want that will help your city a lot. It feels like I'm playing a scratch-off game where I know I'm going to win every time, it's just a matter of when/how much.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
As you can see from the fact that I only used 1 reshuffle, I didn't get particularly lucky with my box openings.
Quite unlucky I would say. I mean the daily should be in the first half of boxes that you open... half of the time.
Granted I didn't wait to find the bonus gift boxes and only waited for the daily, but I reshuffled 12x compared to your 1

Blue-Iris

Pet food didn't come up in my MA recipes for two weeks after that quest, so I was stuck for a long time. Still, I had the daily 25 keys for logging on and the random daily deposits of keys in the city outskirts, which added up. By only playing when there was a building I liked -- and there were quite a few that were fugly or I just didn't want -- I managed to accumulate enough keys to win what I really wanted.

I was able to get at least three upgrades for the snowy owl, and the extras like the candy booth (gives lots of supplies for only 2 tiles of space), temple of the frozen flame and frozen giant shrine are really nice. Even the reindeer and the frozen sphinx are good for otherwise unusable small spaces. I've won a lot of items that I like which have added nice touches to my cities. I'm very happy with this event.

Tauriel Dragonwood

Finally found time to play Elvenar and tried to join in on the event but now I’m stuck. I’m up to Quest 9 but still have not won the Watchful Winter Owl. I thought after completing 5 event quests you win this reward.

My only complaint is the “Fight or win in 3 Encounters or use Pet Food.” In my new city where I’m up to Chapter V, pet food can take a month to show up and since the Tournament and the Spire don’t count as encounters, that leaves the provinces on the World Map, which I cannot win because they are all Very Hard. I’m stuck and can’t advance unless pet food shows up so I can craft it.

I wish the game devs would count battles in the Tournament and Spire of Eternity as encounters.

Iyapo1

Finally found time to play Elvenar and tried to join in on the event but now I’m stuck. I’m up to Quest 9 but still have not won the Watchful Winter Owl. I thought after completing 5 event quests you win this reward.
If you click on the current event quest, at the bottom of the window that pops up you should see your owl and a claim button. You have to claim it.