• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winter Magic - Discussion

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Not true at least with respect to KP. You can go to my event strategy calculator for the last 3 chest event...
Again, format vs prizes.
Chests do not guarantee prizes per currency.

Yes, if they give you 1,000,000 event currency in a chest event you will get more X than in a shuffleboard event where they give you 1,000 currency.
Yes, if they use X% chance of Y in a chest you will get more Y than in a shuffleboard event where they give you Y as a daily Z times.
That has nothing to do with one format giving more than another.

Inno could simply change the KP prize in the shuffleboard up from 10 to make the average equal to the average of whatever chest event they want to use as a benchmark. Or (as they have many times) they can play with the % chance in chests which makes each event better or worse, but also has nothing to do with the format.

So again, my point remains that a statement of "I don't like the shuffleboard format because I don't get enough KP" is inaccurate and misleading.
How many KP one gets from an event is NOT reliant on the format but rather on
  • the % chance(in chests) or
  • the amount in the squares(in the shuffleboard), or
  • the amount of currency awarded (in all formats)

Last edited:

Deleted User - 3932582

Chests do not guarantee prizes of any kind.
Not sure why you want to focus strictly on guarantees. So if event #1 gives you fixed 10KP, and event #2 gives you variable with expected value of 100KP, and 0.01% chance of getting less than 10KP, you would consider event #1 to be better?

I can assure you that number of scenarios where for the same amount of currency you'd get less KPs in 3-chest events vs the current one is exceedingly small.

SoggyShorts

Not sure why you want to focus strictly on guarantees.
I'm a huge fan of "If I do this, I'll get that." The wider the swings in RNG the less I like it.
E.G. I hated the formats that included 5% chances at +500 currency- I had cities that hit it 3x and 0x
So if event #1 gives you fixed 10KP, and event #2 gives you variable with expected value of 100KP, and 0.01% chance of getting less than 10KP, you would consider event #1 to be better?
A better, much more relative question: "If an event gave either 10 guaranteed KP or a random amount between 0 and 20 what would I prefer?"
The 10, thank you.
Actually, I might go for the 10 even if the random was 5 to 25, but that would be situational.

Deleted User - 3932582

A better, much more relative question: "If an event gave either 10 guaranteed KP or a random amount between 0 and 20 what would I prefer?"
The 10, thank you.
Actually, I might go for the 10 even if the random was 5 to 25, but that would be situational.
But that's not a better question, that's a different question. Of course with the same expected value (10 vs 0-20) you'd prefer lower variability unless you are a risk seeker (i.e. gambler). That's perfectly logical. Even 5-25 is not unreasonable because variability has its price for anyone risk averse. But would you prefer 10 vs 9-30? That would be an extreme, extreme risk aversion. And as I mentioned, the number of cases where you'll get less from the 3-chests is exceedingly low. It is not like 10 vs 0-20 at all, where getting more is equally likely as getting less.

Iyapo1

I really like this format. I like that I can see everything I can win.

I love the frozen giant shrine! I even planted and hatched the owl.

So far this is my favorite event. I liked the fog too though so I am obviously unhinged!

Whatever I win is free stuff! It does not bother me that in x-event I got more free stuff than in y-event. It just makes me wistful.

Silver Lady

I really like this format. I like that I can see everything I can win.

I really like this format too. Especially since Inno moved the reveal 2, times 2, and shuffle out of the boxes. I guess I’m in the minority, because I prefer this format first, chests second and anything else last. I want “mindless events” because I play for fun and relaxation and really really don’t want to have to think too hard. I’m kinda like Pooh Bear, my stuffing might catch on fire from the heat generated by too much thinking.

DeletedUser25391

That is the only good new building, but there are all the old Winter buildings showing up as daily prizes. The Winter Star, or a few others, could pop up during the final 12 days that we do not know about yet. Look at the list on elvenarchitect of the top pop event buildings and you will see 10 of the top 12 are all from various Winter events.
Does no one have any imagination? I'm sure someone can come with some entirely new buildings.
I didn't get to where I'm at today by doing the same old crap over and over again. Just saying.

BrinDarby

@Iyapo1 & @SoggyShorts ,

1st off as usual I gotta deal with Soggy... so listen please,
open ur ears , cause I know you're smart enuff.... you take the 63 & 32
tasks... the 32 are used as the last 32 and not picked from initially....
You then take the 63 and break then into 10 blocks, so what u said
would happen CAN'T.... you Rnd from 10 till they are done, then move
to the next 10, and so on & so on... Look SaggyBoxers you and I both
know how to make sure ppl dont get hosed, but we already do....
When every other task outta 6 in a row is gain 16 relics....
The POINT is to make sure the task list is not available in advance.
( I can program that algorythm easily, so Inno can too )

segway into Iyapo .....
I don't believe you should he assured doing all 95, and I think you
should have legitimate shot @ 10 artifacts... so that prize for all 95
is an actuall accomplishment, and shud be. Really I don't think you
ever need to get all 10, IF they used a globally usefull artifact turn-in
program like they did for MoonBear, but globally....
ANY 2 artifacts can be crafted into an universal artifact, from any event.
I have a witches hat and 2 golumn artifacts that are useless unless you
wait a year AND that event is done again...... That way, even with the FA
( for all you smaller players that Soggy is protecting from getting stuck)
and everyone else, you could @least somewhat turn in un-need'd artifacts
for ones that do you some good or that you want, and skip evolves that
you dont want.......

I like the post office format, but I find 0 challange in doing the tasks
and I have far too many prizes than I can ever use.... so I really think
they are given away too much , making them less prized to get. I have
not been CH 4 that long and already 48+ seperate summonings that
are CH 4.... Because the 1 thing that never should count against a
player ( expansions placed ) does 1!!! That means there's always far
too few space to place all those kewl buildings you want and won....

You get penalized for city progress, map progress, research progress,
AW progress/levels, ... but the 1 thing you need to do all of that.....
Expansions !!!!!!!! they should be the ONE thing that doesnt count
against you for difficulty/cater costs in tourn/spire..... duhh...

SoggyShorts

Every Event I copy the task list
I find 0 challange in doing the tasks
Oh man, the answer is so close, you're almost there! Just squint a little maybe? If you concentrate really hard I think you might find it.
Seriously mate, why the need to control how others play in order to change your behavior?
-------------------------------------
you take the 63 & 32
tasks... the 32 are used as the last 32 and not picked from initially....
You then take the 63 and break then into 10 blocks, so what u said
would happen CAN'T.... you Rnd from 10 till they are done, then move
to the next 10, and so on & so on...
Players prepped all of the level 1 workshop and factory quests in advance and then those with short tournament times finished all 63 tasks in 7 hours. Many others in a couple of days with the rest of the quick ones finishing when the next tournament popped.

Do you really think that the order of quests would change that? Why?
Here are some quests:
  1. Collect X relics
  2. Produce X supplies
  3. Solve X tournament encounters
  4. Solve X Spire encounters
  5. Produce X goods
  6. Scout a province or upgrade X buildings to level Y
Exactly how would changing the order of those matter? If you don't like my example, please provide your own. We know you have the whole quest list, so show us these blocks of quests and let's see the impact that randomizing the order of 6 quests would have.

Last edited:

BrinDarby

Do you really think that the order of quests would change that? Why?
Yes,
less ability ( not none ) less ability to preplan tasks.... Duhhhhhhhh

or was that just a rhetorical question ?
but I know u, all u wanna do is attack everything I say, so go ahead..

SoggyShorts

less ability ( not none ) less ability to preplan tasks....
But... there's no planning needed anymore, that (among many other things) is what you aren't grasping.
The only quests that require any planning at all are a handful of level 1 workshop/factory quests and any randomization would just mean waiting to collect from them longer. This doesn't increase the challenge in any meaningful way, and would only lead to players being annoyed at having a shanty town for longer. That's why they are front-loaded and the last ~60 tasks don't ask for those anymore.

Did you even read my reply? You failed to address most of it.
  1. Collect X relics
  2. Produce X supplies
  3. Solve X tournament encounters
  4. Solve X Spire encounters
  5. Produce X goods
  6. Scout a province or upgrade X buildings to level Y
Can you see that the above list doesn't contain any tasks that require planning?
Do you get that doing them top to bottom or bottom to top or odd then even or w/e doesn't make a difference?
all u wanna do is attack everything I say
It's not personal, I'll attempt to enlighten anyone who's wrong. It just seems like I'm picking on you because you're so consistently wrong.
Duhhhhhhhh
Is your propeller hat on too tight?

Last edited:

AtaguS

I agree with you that it should be a feat to finish all the tasks and the reward building seen as a badge of honor. These two sentiments would make any event more fun for me personally. I'm just not on board with your idea for how to get there. It would limit a playing style for players who like to plan ahead and strategize their quests. And I like this game, in part, because there are so many different ways to play and ways to enjoy playing.

And my question is, can there really be a one-size fits all option for accomplishing this, or can different players find different definitions of fun in different events for an over-all sense of satisfaction?
I'd favor letting players decide how they want to play, what constitutes a challenge to them, how they value the reward or if at all, etc, over any change which limited those choices.

like the post office format, but I find 0 challange in doing the tasks
and I have far too many prizes than I can ever use.... so I really think
they are given away too much , making them less prized to get.
Again, I agree with you :) The alternative was too slot-machiney though, asking us to earn event currency and then drop it into the shuffle board like coins on a roulette wheel - which I thought was a step too far in a wrong direction. This, at least, gives the event currency we're earning via completing the quests a greater value...So the emphasis shifts to completing quests and planning around where and on what to spend the currency, rather than on the shuffle board interation itself. I can live with that change even if it means the shuffle board itself is no longer as fun...And there is still the 3 chests system which I'm sure will take a turn in the rotation in a future event. I'm just saying...not every event will be for every player but there will always be another event right around the corner.

Silver Lady

I'm just saying...not every event will be for every player but there will always be another event right around the corner.
I hope they continue to take this direction. I'm in favor of variety in event formats, even if I like some less than others.

I’m a big believer in different strokes for different folks. I personally like this event. When a format that I don’t like shows up in the rotation I just don’t play that one, but I would never ask for it to be removed because it could be someone else’s favorite. :)

GlamDoll

This Event has engaged me back into the game more...(I spent the past 2 months barely hanging on). I am thankful to see the prizes do not have the cost of event-currency in the clouds, as well as some pretty buildings...removing the shuffle from the board is so wonderful.

Of course, some are so much better than I had, that I had to teleport others to make room for them. I love variety & having options that we gamers can pursue, based on personal interests & goals.

Revenant Roar

You posted this over on the Tournament Changes data and feed back thread. I think you wanted it here in the Winter Magic Event Discussion thread.

Fight and win OR use a pet food. You can craft a pet food in the MA and then disenchant it.(thx @Aritra For this tip)

Just a bit of lingo: FA = Fellowship Adventure.
Thnx for setting me straight on both counts! I did discover the petfood work around sometime after you posted your reply. Live, learn and listen;-)

Frappuccino

Locked on the Event until next spire b/c tournament fights don't count for 50/51 whichever it is.

So stupid.

Oh and when it says solve a spire encounter, convincing doesn't count.

Locked on the event because it doesn't function as it says its supposed too.

Last edited:

Aritra

Locked on the Event until next spire b/c tournament fights don't count for 50/51 whichever it is.

So stupid.

Oh and when it says solve a spire encounter, convincing doesn't count.

Locked on the event because it doesn't function as it says its supposed too.
If this is a bug, it happened after I was there. Finished spire encounters for quest 70 and every convince/negotiation/cater has been counted for me this entire event (I never fight).

It would be nice, however, if encounters were encounters and not limited to specified spire vs tournament vs province... but that's the way it is.

Good luck