• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winter Magic Event feedback

DeletedUser3297

Can't afford to buy diamonds this month so a wee bit of luck would help A LOT.

Eh, you don't need diamonds to finish quickly, or luck for that matter... If you'll notice, I am in Elementials with a rank of almost 4,000. I am willing to bet that no other ACTIVE player in that chapter has such a low score unless they sold their city before quitting... My city has always been small, I had close to 38 expansions to help me through the event :)

Tauriel Dragonwood

Eh, you don't need diamonds to finish quickly, or luck for that matter...
I guess you don't need diamonds nor luck to complete the event if you're just going for the Main Prizes, but I'd like to get at least one of the other buildings too. So far, in my new city in Felyndral, I do not have one of the Winter Magic buildings yet and I am up to Quest 25. Since I have moving expenses this month, I can't splurge to buy diamonds so a wee bit of luck would come in handy to help me choose the right chests to open.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Tauriel Dragonwood
To be clear, you need either luck, or you need to do the quests. Being at quest 25 at this point for an active experienced player like yourself is kinda pathetic- Most players with 3 years of experience would have finished the first 25 quests in a day or 2. If you weren't able to log in, I could understand, but based just on the frequency of your forum posts, you should be doing way better than you are.

The quest rewards are also back end loaded where quest #100 gives 63 snowflakes and quest #1 only gives 10.
You've only got 338 of over 3,000 possible snowflakes from the main quests.

You keep mentioning that you can't afford to buy diamonds, but that isn't the problem, it's just you. Several players in all of my fellowships finished the entire questline days ago, and they didn't spend a dime.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I'll be done by tomorrow and I didn't play this one as hard as some previous events.
I don't use the spreadsheets but I do get the task list from Gems.
It really helps to be able to map out your strategy ahead of time.
Such as; have 24 hour tasks running before you get to them. Or not spending KP because you know there is a task coming that requires it.

DeletedUser9601

@Tauriel Dragonwood
To be clear, you need either luck, or you need to do the quests. Being at quest 25 at this point for an active experienced player like yourself is kinda pathetic- Most players with 3 years of experience would have finished the first 25 quests in a day or 2. If you weren't able to log in, I could understand, but based just on the frequency of your forum posts, you should be doing way better than you are.

The quest rewards are also back end loaded where quest #100 gives 63 snowflakes and quest #1 only gives 10.
You've only got 338 of over 3,000 possible snowflakes from the main quests.

You keep mentioning that you can't afford to buy diamonds, but that isn't the problem, it's just you. Several players in all of my fellowships finished the entire questline days ago, and they didn't spend a dime.
I think what I love the most about the posts is that since you know you're blocked, you dial it up just a little bit more than your usual forum post tone. And its great. Keep it up!

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I'm pretty new to the game and haven't done many events - but with this one it feels nearly impossible to get the buildings. Definitely harder than the last one. Takes a lot of the fun out of the event when you feel like you can't be successful.

If you are new, don't worry too much about buildings.
When you are in lower chapters the buildings soon become obsolete because their reward is based on your chapter level at the time of acquisition.
A building that seems to give great culture in Chapter 3 will be getting scrapped by Chapter 6.
My advice. Go more for the things that are not so chapter dependent. Like time instants or kp.

( that's just my opinion and i'm rarely wrong )

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I'm pretty new to the game and haven't done many events - but with this one it feels nearly impossible to get the buildings. Definitely harder than the last one. Takes a lot of the fun out of the event when you feel like you can't be successful.

The 30-day events are always harder than the 10 to 14-day events for players in the earlier chapters. That is just the way they do them. The shorter events are meant to be completed by any player, even the new ones. In the longer ones, you can still complete all the daily quests even if you cannot complete all the sequential ones. Plus a lot of snowflakes generate each day around your city, if you can log in often enough to collect them. So while you may not get enough snowflakes to get all the grand prizes, you should still be able to get one or two of them, plus some daily prizes if you get lucky. Also, if you are new enough to not even be to the guest races yet, the second and third grand prizes are not really worth going for.

DeletedUser19723

If you are new, don't worry too much about buildings.
When you are in lower chapters the buildings soon become obsolete because their reward is based on your chapter level at the time of acquisition.
A building that seems to give great culture in Chapter 3 will be getting scrapped by Chapter 6.
My advice. Go more for the things that are not so chapter dependent. Like time instants or kp.

( that's just my opinion and i'm rarely wrong )

IDK, I'm new (ish?) - A month and a half into the game and the forum; and I'm enjoying both very much.

About the event buildings - I worry about them because I'd really like to have some, even if not all. I am in the beginning of chapter 3 and understand that the culture I get from them won't be worth much a few chapters down the line. It's that 1.They are different and interesting to look at, and 2. It's the challenge of trying to win them. I just (literally) won the Frozen Unicorn - 3 spins. I got the Market Stall and the Candy Booth on the first spin, and the Winter Fair on 2 spins. I'm not greedy. If that is all I get, I'll still be satisfied. If I get a set, I'll be thrilled. Luck is definitely involved, from my point of view.

I've done every daily event and am about halfway through the sequential events. I'm doing okay, I think.

Since you are rarely wrong ( ;) ), can you tell me the best way to complete this in the shortest possible time?
Produce [Tier 1 Boost] [1 day] 7 times
I currently have 4 factories. Even if I add 3 L1, I still need a whole day. It seems such a waste, since 1 day productions are not the best for quantity of produce, by a lot.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Can you please explain this to to me? I don't understand guest races or why to not try for the 2nd and 3rd grand prizes. Thanks!

The second and third grand prize building give bonus supplies if you are in the first 5 chapters, I think. Then when you get to the first guest race, which is dwarves, they instead give one of your non-boosted tier 3 goods, usually gems. But if you are already past both dwarves and orcs, the second and third building are more useful because they give special goods such as mana or divine seeds. At the low levels, the population and culture boost are not normally all that great either, unless you really need them and have room for the buildings. I am trying to get them because of the mana and seeds. My girlfriend is in the orcs chapter right now and she has no use for more buildings that give gems and she has better choices for pop and culture buildings. But this is just our personal opinion and you or others may find them really useful. It just depends on what you already have in your city.

SoggyShorts

can you tell me the best way to complete this in the shortest possible time?
Produce [Tier 1 Boost] [1 day] 7 times
The key is to use a spoiler list like www.tinyurl.com/wintermagic2018 and start those 1-day productions before you need them.
I'm sure you've noticed, but it's worth pointing out that when a quest says "Produce 1 wooden figurine" it actually means "collect a wooden figurine" This is really important because it means that you can finish the production hours and even days before you reach the quest and then complete it immediately.
That's how big players between chapters (lots of space)finish events so quickly-- I had everything ready and cooked for the first 46 quests before the event even started on live servers.

DeletedUser19723

The key is to use a spoiler list like www.tinyurl.com/wintermagic2018 and start those 1-day productions before you need them.
I'm sure you've noticed, but it's worth pointing out that when a quest says "Produce 1 wooden figurine" it actually means "collect a wooden figurine" This is really important because it means that you can finish the production hours and even days before you reach the quest and then complete it immediately.
That's how big players between chapters (lots of space)finish events so quickly-- I had everything ready and cooked for the first 46 quests before the event even started on live servers.

I hear you. I get the way to do it - It's just that I don't even have 7 steel factories. If I put up 3 more at L1 I'll have 7. Sure, then I can have all the 1 day steel products ready in advance. The problem is that I'm also sacrificing making steel for that period of time. I think this must work better if one has way more space to have say, a dozen or more of each building. Oh, and also a decent stockpile of goods which I don't have yet, as I'm using it as fast as I obtain it so I can progress in the game. I guess I could build and sell, ad infinitum, but I still couldn't plan ahead on too many quests because I'd be hindered by lack of space to build on. I know this is a way to deal with multiple 1 day goods needed. I put up 8 workshops early in the event so doing any of the supplies quests has not been a problem. I just can't do large numbers of all buildings. Am I missing something obvious, but not to me?

I just read back what I wrote. Hmmm..... Well, I know what I'm trying to say, but do you? :confused:

Arayla

I hear you. I get the way to do it - It's just that I don't even have 7 steel factories. If I put up 3 more at L1 I'll have 7. Sure, then I can have all the 1 day steel products ready in advance. The problem is that I'm also sacrificing making steel for that period of time. I think this must work better if one has way more space to have say, a dozen or more of each building. Oh, and also a decent stockpile of goods which I don't have yet, as I'm using it as fast as I obtain it so I can progress in the game. I guess I could build and sell, ad infinitum, but I still couldn't plan ahead on too many quests because I'd be hindered by lack of space to build on. I know this is a way to deal with multiple 1 day goods needed. I put up 8 workshops early in the event so doing any of the supplies quests has not been a problem. I just can't do large numbers of all buildings. Am I missing something obvious, but not to me?

I just read back what I wrote. Hmmm..... Well, I know what I'm trying to say, but do you? :confused:

I did the winter event with a brand new city last December in Winyandor. I feel your pain! I had to switch back and forth, selling workshops to build extra planks, selling planks to build extra workshops. It was a slight pain, but very doable.

You are right to avoid using your level 4 and 6 steel factories for 1 day productions. You probably don't want to use the few Magical Manufacturing spells you already have in order to make up for the hit you would take.

I took a look at your city on ElvenStats and ElvenArchitect. You have plenty of population and extra space if you move the Magic Academy and can add 12 level 1 steel factories, which will help immensely.

Here's the revised layout:
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/0fc11f24b48946308bea0ebdc9d0564e/

DeletedUser19723

I did the winter event with a brand new city last December in Winyandor. I feel your pain! I had to switch back and forth, selling workshops to build extra planks, selling planks to build extra workshops. It was a slight pain, but very doable.

You are right to avoid using your level 4 and 6 steel factories for 1 day productions. You probably don't want to use the few Magical Manufacturing spells you already have in order to make up for the hit you would take.

I took a look at your city on ElvenStats and ElvenArchitect. You have plenty of population and extra space if you move the Magic Academy and can add 12 level 1 steel factories, which will help immensely.

Here's the revised layout:
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/0fc11f24b48946308bea0ebdc9d0564e/

Thank you for this info. I didn't realize you could see other cities on ElvenStats. That's very cool. I'd better be careful or I'll spend a lot of time looking at cities and wishing I was at that point. I always thought I was patient. Apparently not in Elvenar :)
I saved your suggested layout. I think it can work for me without too much pain. I'm pretty sure I have the pop and materials to do it. Good thing I've been stingy about using all my free space.

SoggyShorts

Last edited:

DeletedUser12430

I am in Halflings now, but last the couple events I was in S&D. I had already built the Campus and had just started placing the faculties so that I could get started....and then I heard about the upcoming event and sold off all of my newly placed facilities in order to have the space to compete in the event. I then used that space for the Fellowship Adventure. And then built my campus up, and moved into Halflings...... with most of my research already done, or at least filled in with the required kp's.
Now I have put off building the Halflings settlement, for this event and the upcoming Fellowship Adventure....lol. You can get into a nice little rhythm, and find yourself with ample space for anything if you play your cards right. It sometimes helps to look at what you can get rid of to gain space. you said you already have won some pop / culture buildings? See what you are going to get rid of to place those....you have plenty of room for this event....you need to optimize your space and your layout. I would use your higher level steel factories for the event, even if you dont want them to produce for a day. I would put off all producing until your finished with the event, and that way utilize all of your factories to full-fill the event quests. This way you can get rid of 2 of those lv 1 Steel factories, replace with 2 lv 1 planks and 2 lv 1 marble factories, this way you can produce the "all T1 goods" quests in the event as well.
I recommend using SoggyShorts tiny URL link. This is a great tool to use for tracking which quest you are working on, which ones are coming up...then if you have a 1 day production....you can set it up a day earlier than you need it, so its ready when you need it.

Last edited by a moderator: