• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winter Magic Event Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4194
  • Start date

nothingpants

Never having to fight a combat is not the same as never needing to produce troops for a chapter quest or an event quest. It is like still needing to build and upgrade several armories to produce the little orcs that are needed for non-combat upgrades starting with chapter 8. Those armories are military buildings, but you do not have to use them for military purposes. Same with troops. You never have to use them to fight.
As a non-combat player in chapter 15, I have never had to produce troops for anything other than the rare event quest. I contend that these quests are not fair to non-combat players, because they are prohibitively difficult for non-combat players.

Troop production is not mandatory for any other part of the game. Chapter quests can be skipped and do not have a time limit, so producing units for them is not mandatory nor penalizing in the same way. Armories do not produce troops, they produce orcs, which are used regularly in catering and buildings. You don't have to participate in combat to get use out of orcs or armories. If they were troops they would count as units for these quests, which actually would work well as a secondary option for the quests.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
As a non-combat player in chapter 15, I have never had to produce troops for anything other than the rare event quest. I contend that these quests are not fair to non-combat players, because they are prohibitively difficult for non-combat players.

Troop production is not mandatory for any other part of the game. Chapter quests can be skipped and do not have a time limit, so producing units for them is not mandatory nor penalizing in the same way. Armories do not produce troops, they produce orcs, which are used regularly in catering and buildings. You don't have to participate in combat to get use out of orcs or armories. If they were troops they would count as units for these quests, which actually would work well as a secondary option for the quests.

You weren't clear enough then. Most people who come here complaining about the combat aspect of the game do not want to build anything at all military-related, not the armories and not even the barracks. The only other alternative right now to producing troops in the military buildings is to build the Wonders that produce the free troops every three hours or putting out a lot of the Grounds of the Orc Strategist and Vallorian Valor buildings for their free troops. But with you in chapter 15, even if you had skipped all the optional squad upgrade tech, your squad size, which is what a stack is equal to, is still up there in size.

This is awful. Our ability to strategize for what kind of rewards we want has been decimated. There was always an element of chance but this seems to have greatly lowered our chances of getting what we want. The evolving building is absolute crap so I don't care about the grand prizes at all. All I want is several of the best daily prize buildings and now I feel like I'm going to have to have tremendous luck to achieve my goals. I am normally the one trying to be positive about changes but this might be the worst thing I have ever encountered in the game. That creepy little hammer-happy gingerbread man is already bugging me.

Please please please let these event mechanics be a one-and-done never again thing!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
ok so on my small city i did about 1/2 of those rtard gift boxes and got a reshuffle and it automatically reshuffled resetting it at 20 vs i had 10 boxes with a daily prize to pick from making it twice as hard %wise to get the daily prize hahahaha man inno get the rectrocranium condition you all have fixed please then leave stuff people like in the game alone

I am not sure what people are counting, but there are only 16 present boxes, not 20 on the screen.

I have opened 10 so far and have gotten neither the shuffle, nor the wishing well yet. It took 8 hammers to get the 20 bricks for the first grand prize. Hopefully it stays at an average of at least 2 bricks per hammer, but if it drops below that, getting the grand prizes will be more annoying.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Might be confusion about the gingerbread man's sign which is counting completed building units out of 20.
1575573278217.png

DeletedUser3468

OK, I'm still finding this thing very confusing... but that said, I am very pleased that Inno at least listened to some of our complaints about the quests and we now have the encounter/tourney encounter ratio set properly with 1 regular encounter or 1 tourney province (2 encounters or 8 tourney encounters rather than 2 regular or 10 tourney) I've also noticed, going down the list at GoK that they've gone back to including neighbor visits (something they should always have as a quest in any event) and adding KP to neighbors AWs. These are ones we (several of us) asked them to include in the next event and they actually paid attention and did so. That means that while I'm not sure how I feel about the event as a whole, I do like some of the changes to the quest list, at least!

aerondor

So there are some good things here, but overall I really hate the event design.
Lets start with the good: Pet food! Yay. Thanks for including this at last.
The less good: There is virtually no player agency in this event. You pick a random pressie. And then click on a random brick for your gingerbread house?
Honestly? Why even bother? Apart from selecting the day you do this (and thus your choice of daily prize) there is NO MEANINGFUL DECISION MAKING REQUIRED BY THE PLAYER. Clicking on a random picture for a random prize is not a meaningful interaction, sorry. Total miss of the point here.
At least in the previous events you got to select which set of random prizes to go for, so depending on what you were after you would go for different chests
If I want to maximise my chance of the grand prize - one chest is best
If I want KP for research - another.
If I want KP for AW - another
If I want daily buildings - another
If I want spells/gold/tools (though why I would I'm not sure) Another
Heck, the pet food option gives another whole meaningful set of options to add to your chest runs. But this event... By all means hide the 'prizes', but have them categorised into sets that are meaninful, like in the prevent events. Please.

I've already mentioned this in passing: building that gingerbread house. You have added complexity to the event here - which would give you a chance to do something neat (no idea what, but it is an extra interaction point you could have used) - but then thrown this away with it being just another (so far as I can see) random result that the player has no real influence over.

Speaking of chance: Having a random choice of 3hr or 9hr productions is just not fun. I get that you don't want players stacking up their productions in advance, but players with enough resources will do that anyway, and others who end up with a 9hr run rather than a 3hr one will feel hard done by.

To finish on a lightly less rant filled note: I don't mind the levelled buildings. I kind of like them. I've been as guilty as anyone of building slums during events (especially FAs) to churn out mass loads of level 1 stuff. Encouraging us to have more higher level buildings around is a good thing. The event actually promotes advanced city building rather that compromising it.

TLDR: Too much random stuff, not enough player agency. Rating 2/10.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Speaking of chance: Having a random choice of 3hr or 9hr productions is just not fun. I get that you don't want players stacking up their productions in advance, but players with enough resources will do that anyway, and others who end up with a 9hr run rather than a 3hr one will feel hard done by.
The random quests could even be fine, if they rewarded commensurate ribbons. A quests that takes about 3 times as long should reward about 3 times as many [event coins]

SunsetDanar

I get stuck in quests that I can't complete in this format. I can get to perhaps, level 4 or 5 with the Artifacts but no further so I have a bunch of evolving buildings, short of artifacts, that can't be crafted but may be available at a later date for the mere price of 80 bucks. I'm still playing but I'm playing pissed.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
A little update on the randomness of the presents. I have opened 12 of 16 so far and still no wishing well or shuffle. In my girlfriend's city, the first present was the wishing well and the fourth was the shuffle. After shuffling, the second present was the wishing well and the fifth was the shuffle. And each shuffle brings in potentially new prizes for the 12 presents that are not the daily or the three special items. It is not just the same 12 prizes mixed in again. There were some repeats, but she also had some new things with each shuffle. so it is a refresh and a shuffle, not just a shuffle.

Pheryll

Set Designer
The block building animation only seems to consume time and clicks. Before grand prize progress was automatically applied. Now we have to interact with the game to perform tasks that have no options to decide on for the results.

k777

The quests are better than last time. The prize grid thing is just awful. Costs way too many ribbons per chest, and then you put a shuffle in there? PLEASE do not do this again.
In the U.S., we basically get less than half a day on the first day, and that's where you put the wishing wells? I will save up for day 21 I guess.
We don't need more evolving buildings. We need more artifacts for the ones we already have.
Someone above talked about loving the strategy aspect of the game - that's me, too. Not at all looking for random!

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I've found something to like in this event! The red ribbons! Past Winter events (while fun to play!), the art had the drops of event currency in the city in perfectly appropriate white/blue/silver colors. But those colors would blend into the snow background sometimes. I'd get used to it after the first day or so, but my eyes aren't getting any younger, lol! This event (while not fun to play), I can see the ribbons easily from the start, so thanks for that. :)o_O

DeletedUser24458

I cannot add anything to what has already been said. I am really disappointed in this event way more than the others. The artwork is fabulous but I agree that I have no choice in this event. I could choose how many event currency I wanted and which prize group like others said. I am really disappointed in that being taken away.

I am glad you are trying new things Inno but you took a lot away from us this event :( You could have easily color coded the presents to represent prize groupings like in other events. You could have easily given us a set amount of hammers for each group as well. We always knew upfront how much event currency each chest offered. I hate slot machines.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
:):)

78858545_10215370156947773_8814167666223742976_n.jpg

But we must not be entirely negative about this event! The quest lists are much better than ever before; I have not encountered any that specific players can't or won't do. Take last Event's Three Rotating Chests and tack on this quest list - and that will be a winner.

One thing we can say about this design team - they show a willingness to listen to the players and make changes - so let's see what they come up with next time!