• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

You CAN Suppress the Signature Graphics

DeletedUser61

Are you tired of losing half of your display to HUGE Signature Graphics?
  • Mouseover your name in the upper righthand corner of the display, ABOVE the search box
  • Select Preferences
  • Uncheck "Show people's signatures with their messages."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Given that:
7. Signatures and avatars
Signatures must not exceed a maximum of 150 pixels in height and 500 pixels in width. This also includes any lines of text added to the side or underneath the signature.
Avatars may not exceed 200x200 pixels.
They must not be animated and both must comply with all other rules.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to the signature and/or avatar being deleted.
I'm not sure how this is a major problem...

DeletedUser61

It's not even a minor problem. It's a convenience that allows you to display more messages per page.

Getting rid of 150 vertical pixels, that are only interesting ONCE, provides room for a half dozen more lines of information, per message.

DeletedUser511

I just tested it and seen the pages have 20 posts each no matter how many people have sigs. So sigs dont have anything to do with more posts on a page. BTW 20 per page! No more no less!

DeletedUser

So... it's all about using your scroll-button. Or not using it, more to the point.

DeletedUser55

I think that it is good to know about because sometime people can get tired of seeing signatures all the time. either way it does not bother me. thanks for sharing

Salator

Are you tired of losing half of your display to HUGE Signature Graphics?
  • Mouseover your name in the upper righthand corner of the display, ABOVE the search box
  • Select Preferences
  • Uncheck "Show people's signatures with their messages."
Thank you for these instructions...I find most "signatures" to be really obnoxious and a gratuitous display of ego.

DeletedUser20951

Whoa, reading Katwijk's comments here provoked a few traumatic flashbacks. Still have yet to encounter another so adept at trolling.

Aritra

Just wanted to say I appreciate knowing how to suppress signatures should I want to. I'm hearing both side regarding why they can be a bother and why they're not. I also recognize that some of those who have graphic signatures may be offended because the point (at least in part) of it is to be seen so, of course, they'd object to suppression. Personally, I think they are neat, pretty, and creative. I can appreciate the artistry of it. However, personally, I'm likely to suppress (currently undecided) because I find them distracting to my peripheral as I am scanning. It can have an effect similar as ads that appear on websites that we wish weren't in the way, which is a shame because these are better than that. My brain has a need to filter when processing and excess of graphics slows down the process. I'm only speaking for myself but I'm sure I'm not the only one. Respect that suppression isn't about rejecting you or what you want to show, but sometimes an appreciated tool for those more sensitive to sensory processing.

NightshadeCS

This thread has useful information that is still relevant, so bringing it back from the dead doesn't seem unreasonable. There may be others who were unaware that was an option available who will be happy to learn this.

It does, however, dredge up a conversation started by someone who seemed to be a problem on the Forum, so that is unfortunate. Perhaps, in future, starting a new thread would be preferable to bringing back an old one, even though the rules ask us not to start new threads when one on the topic exists. It is a judgement call.

Aritra

@NightshadeCS
Should I not have commented (because it resurrected it)?
To be honest, I wasn't looking at dates. I was combing through thread topics (relatively new to forum) to see what I could learn. I found the information useful. I saw no reason not to give my opinion to the debate (defense of both sides and my perspective). When I realized how old the thread actually was, I just shrugged it off. It seemed relevant enough to me, and I didn't know about preferring to have a new thread started (I wasn't intending a thread, just chiming in). And, of course, I didn't know the (unfortunate) negative history of one of the participants. I'll try to keep this in mind so that if I learn anything new that I think others might find useful *and* it is fairly (or very) buried, I'll start a new thread.

Iyapo1

@Aritra In my opinion all you did was bump a useful topic. The info is not out dated so the bump is a good thing. I did not know the signatures could be suppressed. So thank you.

NightshadeCS

Since Ed commented about this thread being necro'd (which is a term that means an old thread is brought back up to the top by having a post added to it), I wanted to defend you, which is why I made a point of saying that, while it may be quite old, it still has relevant info that others could find useful.

It takes some careful reading or some familiarity with old Forum members to discern what I was referring to in the second part of my comment. I would not expect you to have done anything else in these circumstances, though it may be something to keep in mind for the future. A lot of us are much more happy when old arguments stay buried in the mists of time. : )