• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Game has become unplayable since end of the FA

Festo0n

That seems more like a work around rather than a solution but as long as you are happy...
You were right. The game played perfectly on Chrome in an incognito window for three days. The exact same problem began this morning and the game is once again unplayable. Have no clue what to try next. Lags on startup. Crashes 2-3 minutes after logging in.

Festo0n

Now you have to ask yourself, which extension? If one of your extensions is causing a problem in the game it may be doing other things of which you aren't aware. Personally, I remove all extensions in all my browsers and run as clean as possible. Ditto with all background stubs...like print drivers, pop up mail notifications, and just about everything. Right now I have exactly 1 background program I installed...my antieverything program. Clean running means smooth running in my book.

AJ
I just checked, and the only extension showing on Chrome is Goocle docs. I use firefox generally and just use Chrome for the game.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I would then, be sure to turn off all unnecessary background processes/programs. To do this you can go to task manager and try to shut stuff down. Then try the game. If it goes well, the background program/process has a problem and probably needs to be removed/reinstalled. If you have shut everything down that isn't absolutely needed you can then run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), the tool techs use to examine and find faults within Windows. It's pretty technical and tedious to use and understand but it might be able to fix the problem. Finally, if the problem isn't in the software, it has to be in the hardware, right? The first thing I'd suspect is a disk drive error and thus, I would make sure I had all my data backed up before going any further. At this point though, it may need to be taken to a professional.

AJ

Festo0n

I would then, be sure to turn off all unnecessary background processes/programs. To do this you can go to task manager and try to shut stuff down. Then try the game. If it goes well, the background program/process has a problem and probably needs to be removed/reinstalled. If you have shut everything down that isn't absolutely needed you can then run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), the tool techs use to examine and find faults within Windows. It's pretty technical and tedious to use and understand but it might be able to fix the problem. Finally, if the problem isn't in the software, it has to be in the hardware, right? The first thing I'd suspect is a disk drive error and thus, I would make sure I had all my data backed up before going any further. At this point though, it may need to be taken to a professional.

AJ
Thanks for all the help. I'll try what you've recommended here. I did everything Inno tech support recommended except for using a VPN. I'm looking for a free one now.

I just don't understand why the game would play so well on a Chrome incognito window for three days, only to have the exact same problem return. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not seeing a lot of options other than to just give up trying to even play. Which really sucks because I have a great FS and have been playing and enjoying th game for years. At the same time, spending hours trying to make a free browser game work is cutting into my real life schedule.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
This is an irritating suggestion, it is like telling someone to restart...

Incognito worked for three days, can you exit all incognito tabs and then go back in?

Smooper

My suggestion is wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install. You can save anything you need like documents or saves on a thumb drive. Takes a little bit of knowledge but not much.

Festo0n

Inno recommended playing behind a VPN. Found a free service and tried that. It worked for around 24 hours then the problem returned.

Inno then recommended to check the driver on my graphics card. Turns out there was a Nvidia driver update on August 22nd, right around the time these problems started. Updated the driver today and game is working again.

The other fixes all worked at first, too, so not sure if this driver update will last as a fix, but here's hoping.

Appreciate all the help everyone. The community here really has been really helpful and I'm super grateful. Inno tech support has been pretty quick with responses and tips as well.

I'm still curious how all of these fixes I've tried would work for a limited time before the problem returning. Playing in incognito mode and behind a VPN both worked for a time. Until they didn't. Hopefully the driver update was the real issue.

Flashfyre

I'm still curious how all of these fixes I've tried would work for a limited time before the problem returning. Playing in incognito mode and behind a VPN both worked for a time. Until they didn't. Hopefully the driver update was the real issue.
Did you log out of your computer after playing? If you stayed logged in, your temporary fixes would remain engaged, but as soon as the system is restarted, those fixes would be reset to the system normal settings.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I had trouble connecting for around 10 minutes last night. Stuck on the loading screen on browser. On the app (iOS), it would just freeze for awhile (phone getting really hot) and then just crash out and close itself. By doing absolutely nothing except stepping away to eat a cup of ice cream and then trying back again later, it did just resolve itself. Many problems are fixed by snacking.

My suggestion is wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install. You can save anything you need like documents or saves on a thumb drive. Takes a little bit of knowledge but not much.
My goodness. Talk about using a sledgehammer for the job! @Festo0n Don't reset your OS over this. It's probably 100% not a OS issue.

Did you log out of your computer after playing? If you stayed logged in, your temporary fixes would remain engaged, but as soon as the system is restarted, those fixes would be reset to the system normal settings.
If @Festo0n was using incognito mode, it shouldn't keep them signed in if the browser window is closed and comes back again so I'm thinking it can't be that either (unless he hasn't closed incognito yet this whole time). Incognito would also resolve any cache issues a hard refresh would force (that I suggested) because they are temp sessions that gets removed when Incognito window is closed.

Inno then recommended to check the driver on my graphics card. Turns out there was a Nvidia driver update on August 22nd, right around the time these problems started. Updated the driver today and game is working again.
The fact it sometimes works is already a good sign it's also likely not a graphic driver problem. A driver issue would likely just make it not work at all and it would likely result in a hard crash on the whole system and not be isolated to just the elf game or the browser.

I just checked, and the only extension showing on Chrome is Goocle docs. I use firefox generally and just use Chrome for the game.
Note: Elvenar does perform better in Chrome than Firefox and it's been documented by devs this is so. It's slightly better in Firefox than it was before, but I can still notice a slight lag after playing it in another browser for awhile. Even during FA when I need all my cities opened at once, I avoid opening one in Firefox cause shantytowns are visually taxing on resources and it becomes noticeably slower on Firefox.

Inno recommended playing behind a VPN. Found a free service and tried that. It worked for around 24 hours then the problem returned.
We're going to assume your Internet is working fine everywhere else and you're not experiencing lags on other sites. I have high doubts it's a VPN issue too. It's not like there is a Japanese server it's auto-directing you to. Plus, if it was working just fine before FA without a VPN, why the heck would it require you to connect through a VPN now? I have Japanese and Pacific Rim players in my EN group. Although, that's the EN and not US market, they are not reporting connection problems so they are hopping to the server just fine and I don't see why US servers would be blocking Japan players if EN servers are not which would require players to tunnel into the game from elsewhere.

You can see if there is a difference in your connection by opening a command prompt and entering
Code:
ping us4.elvenar.com
and then doing it again when connected to a VPN somewhere in the US. Compare the two times on the results. See if the one without VPN is significantly slower. If you're lagging on the ping, then you can at least narrow it down to a connection issue and not a software/hardware issue. (Elvenstats says you're on Khel, which is why it's US4.)