• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rumor has it that the non-working /who feature isn't going to be fixed

• Thread starter DeletedUser9971
  • Start date

DeletedUser5202

Can someone point me in the direction of where there was an announcement about this "/who" feature? I can't find one and would like to read up on it.

DeletedUser9971

Oh for pity's sakes tibsno & RandomNo. the /who feature was always there in the apx. year I've been playing Elvenar. It may have been un-documented, who knows, who cares .... and the nature of a rumor is by definition "a currently circulating story or report of uncertain truth and/or something that's being circulated as an unverified account." AGAIN, who knows, who cares. Bottom line boys, we had it, now we don't.

We play this game because we like it. It passes for home entertainment instead of TV or reading ect. What the dev's need to keep in mind is that Elvenar is FAR from free for many of us. Our $9.99's and our $19.99's and our $49.99's are spent to support our city's directly and Inno games indirectly. But spent we do.. Financial support in lew of a monthly/yearly subscription fee is our responsibility to allow Inno games to continue to support and advance our game to attract and keep an ever increasing number of players. On the other hand, it's the responsibility of Inno games to within reason keep the members happy, ADD features, and create as little frustration as possible. This is all a basic tenant.

Don't listen to the players, take features away from the players, shove unwanted features down the players throats and the players leave for less frustration filled waters.It's joked about, here in the forum, I for one, enjoy the hell out of Elvenar and don't want to be driven away by a few stupid decisions. Listen to your players and try hard to fill reasonable requests and the players will stay and financially support the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

shynner

We have had a couple, at the very least, in our FS that has submitted tickets concerning their dissatisfaction with the apparent inability to access the /who feature. One of the responses that was given as a reply to the submitted ticket was that the developers did not intend the chat feature to be a monitoring system, and that it was meant merely as a means of communication.. What they are not taking into consideration is that knowing who you can communicate with is as important as communicating.

DeletedUser12171

This
It may have been un-documented, who knows, who cares .... and the nature of a rumor is by definition "a currently circulating story or report of uncertain truth and/or something that's being circulated as an unverified account."
Means nothing

This
We have had a couple, at the very least, in our FS that has submitted tickets concerning their dissatisfaction with the apparent inability to access the /who feature. One of the responses that was given as a reply to the submitted ticket was that the developers did not intend the chat feature to be a monitoring system, and that it was meant merely as a means of communication..
Is infinitely more helpful. Notice how it agrees with your rumor, except this is substantiated

Many a conflict has been started by rumors and I do not take kindly to them. Argue if you like, but without some kind of substantiation, your word is as good as mine as far as undisclosed game information in concerned i.e., pointless.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Some members have received support ticket responses that have said that the commands for the chat were not meant to be there in the first place, so that is where the rumors stem from. Another thing people should know is I think this chat box is new, (not sure why it wasn't included in the update announcements), as we have been testing it on beta.
As to whether or not the commands will be added back is still yet to be seen. It is reported as a confirmed bug in beta, so there is still hope that it will be fixed and added back in to the chat! I don't think they realize just how many players used the /who command!!
I have seen the /who command cause problems in my FS though as some members will think you are on, if you have the game up, but had to go do something. Then they feel like you are ignoring them even though you are not even there!

Last edited:

DeletedUser1349

Howdy Folks! I haven't posted in a long time, but I have bought a lot of diamonds. I was a top #10 archmage in 2 worlds and now am in my 3rd world as archmage again. I want the /who back and I want it back NOW. My fellowship is upset and everyone on the server I talk to agrees. Inno this is not negotiable

DeletedUser

I want the /who back and I want it back NOW.

rs-230674-the-who.jpg

But since we're making demands, I want $50 million (USD), Tom Hiddleston in drag, a mansion in the Alps furnished with the best Stark Tech has to offer, two bottles of the finest 500 year old Klingon Blood Wine, and the lost palantír of Orthanc. My rat wants Evian in his water bowl and rare, heirloom carrots for his dinner. The hungry and homeless people in the park downtown want their jobs and homes back. And apparently, according to my mother, "people in Hell want ice water."

:)

Gath Of Baal

I was never a fan of the /who because I like to fly under the radar and seldom like to chat. I have known a few players that get upset because they can see you are online but you are not answering in chat or responding to a mail they just sent you, and they felt they were being ignored..

You can still check who is online by simply asking in chat "who is on" or "whos here" this way no feelings are hurt if people do not feel like chatting..

I feel the /who biggest function was a way of forcing people to respond since they know you can see them online.

What does the /who bring to the game that an in game letter to a fellowship member or entire fellowship cant solve? If you need to pass on information to a particular person a letter does that just fine. If you need to get last minute stuff done on a FA or tournament a letter or a message in chat works just fine also. If you are trying to use it to keep track of activity well that's just crazy :p

hvariidh gwendrot

first off @Gath Of Baal excellent point and (b) i've seen a support ticket response in other forum lines showing support ticket response saying it was an unintended consequence having the who feature and it has been corrected meaning GONE FOR GOOD .. i think i post more in chat than the rest of my fellowship combined so it isn't really needed to know when i'm around .. for the rest maybe you can talk them in to an option where each player has the option of clicking show or don't show when on, like some of my other games, but they all seem to encourage communication .. this game seems not so much

DeletedUser2959

View attachment 4234

But since we're making demands, I want $50 million (USD), Tom Hiddleston in drag, a mansion in the Alps furnished with the best Stark Tech has to offer, two bottles of the finest 500 year old Klingon Blood Wine, and the lost palantír of Orthanc. My rat wants Evian in his water bowl and rare, heirloom carrots for his dinner. The hungry and homeless people in the park downtown want their jobs and homes back. And apparently, according to my mother, "people in Hell want ice water."

:)

God, I wish I could've had a beer with Keith Moon.

shynner

Only someone with very "thin skin" would be "offended" by checking to see who was showing in game, posting a chat directly to a person showing in game,and not receiving a reply. I agree that some people may simply not want to chat and respect their choice, and that there are also times that they are just afk. However, anyone that has been in a fellowship for any length of time, generally knows their fellowship's mates preferences. Just by watching mail, and seeing notifications give a vague idea of who is on. There is a better sense of camaraderie when knowing who is actually in game and a better chance of group chat. This "name? are you here?" is getting old.. fast. *sigh*

DeletedUser12171

I like the /who function. I don't take it to mean the person is definitely there. If I see <Player X> online, I still type a "Hey X, you here?" and if I don't get a response I assume the person is not able to. But if /who shows the Player X is not online, then I won't even bother.

It's not a game changer and I definitely can do without it but it sure was handy to have it around. I don't know if anyone could use it to keep tabs on others, I mean what, you gotta be there 24/7? Even if you did it in shifts you'd have to be constantly monitoring for your shift. Anyone who goes to that extent is taking it too far

Gath Of Baal

There is a better sense of camaraderie when knowing who is actually in game and a better chance of group chat.

I don't see how typing /who and seeing someone's name appear on the screen can make people feel closer to each other? does it really make you like a person more and feel closer to them when you see their name pop up?

Typing /who and seeing Jessica online, then saying "hello Jessica, how are you?" In my opinion, from a politeness point, makes Jessica if she is not afk, obliged to return the greeting and maybe have to carry on an unwanted conversation, because she did not want to be rude after you singled her out to begin with..

In my experience simply typing "Hello everyone" is normally enough to get the chatters online at the time chatting with you, unless people just do not like you or something :p

I agree with you, a person has to be thinned skinned to be offended if someone doesn't answer them back, but it only takes one thinned skinned person to cause unwanted drama.

I'm not saying that the /who shouldn't be a game function, all I was saying is that it was not needed to begin with other then a tool to satisfy a persons curiosity and to single people out, it had no use that other features in the game couldn't solve, so its no major loss if it is gone.

shynner

I don't see how typing /who and seeing someone's name appear on the screen can make people feel closer to each other? does it really make you like a person more and feel closer to them when you see their name pop up?

Typing /who and seeing Jessica online, then saying "hello Jessica, how are you?" In my opinion, from a politeness point, makes Jessica if she is not afk, obliged to return the greeting and maybe have to carry on an unwanted conversation, because she did not want to be rude after you singled her out to begin with..

In my experience simply typing "Hello everyone" is normally enough to get the chatters online at the time chatting with you, unless people just do not like you or something :p

I agree with you, a person has to be thinned skinned to be offended if someone doesn't answer them back, but it only takes one thinned skinned person to cause unwanted drama.

I'm not saying that the /who shouldn't be a game function, all I was saying is that it was not needed to begin with other then a tool to satisfy a persons curiosity and to single people out, it had no use that other features in the game couldn't solve, so its no major loss if it is gone.
Yes, as a matter of fact, even without chatting, seeing who is in game does somehow make me, personally, feel like more like chatting, and I also get a better sense that we are all still working together as a team. Am I alone in this?

Gath Of Baal

seeing who is in game does somehow make me, personally, feel like more like chatting, and I also get a better sense that we are all still working together as a team. Am I alone in this?

I could see how typing /who and seeing a bunch of people online could make a person feel this way about their fellowship and prompt people to chat because they see their friends online.

But lots of people in a fellowship online does not equal teamwork, it just means lots of people are online at the same time..

I'm in no way telling you how to judge your sense of fellowshipness within your fellowship. If the /who does it for you then that's great, but I would think after all the tournaments, fellowship adventures, neighborly visits, trades, chats and ancient wonder donations, that you would already have the feel of fellowshipness.

I don't think fellowshipness is a real word, is it? it sounded good to me