• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

[Archived 02/2020] News from Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3122

InnnoGames do not announce these events in advance

They used to. In fact, that little horn icon that is supposed to announce News? They aren't even bothering to use it anymore. They did for a very brief time, for game updates and coming events. Now, we're lucky to get 3 hours notice before an event starts, and it's only on the forum announcements. I subscribe to the announcements and see the timestamps. I know it's typically one week from the release in beta to live. I've known that for well over a year. Personally, I don't even plan to take the next FA seriously. The prizes keep degrading and the work is draining.

shionnach

I feel like the prizes this time are not up to par considering all the work the Fellowship has to put into doing an FA and it would be nice if they could give us at least 2 days notice.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
The official Announcement just appeared on the EN Server

For full information, you are welcome to share the link to our Note:
https://tinyurl.com/ybs42c4e

41506462_10212441443251761_7862635077887328256_n.jpg

DeletedUser9601

I feel like the prizes this time are not up to par considering all the work the Fellowship has to put into doing an FA and it would be nice if they could give us at least 2 days notice.
Honestly, it depends on the FS. My FS is 25 people in Woodelves+, and we've decided to just do 3 paths (and no more) to get the 3rd prize. It will be a bit of work, but not an unreasonable amount, and the 3rd path prizes are really nice for people in later chapters (when you're not outgrowing event buildings as frequently).

But if I were in an earlier chapter (like just starting Dwarves), or if I was in an FS that doesn't always get good participation (like if 10 people have to do the work of 25), I agree, the FSA is a lot of work for not a ton of reward.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Game version 1.64 was released in Beta World today.

The Wishing Well special event building has been revalued - and at last it is beginning to look like something one would like to have in your city.

41652888_10212458791325452_362731862415638528_n.jpg

Expect this change in the Live Worlds in a week or so - and it should include existing Wishing Wells too.

My principal problem with the WW (which is a brilliant concept) was the miserly nature of the awards. Previously in its 100 day lifespan one could expect, statistically, to gain 200 Diamonds, 20 KP and a lot of other worthless junk.

Now one could expect 500 Diamonds, 50 KP - and even on the booby-prize days, the payout would be more in line with what you could produce in factories and workshops that occupy the same area.

It is really nice that the design team have reacted to player feedback on this one!!!

Discussion Thread: https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/release-notes-1-64.11514/

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
There is more information about the re-balancing of the Wishing Well higher up this thread.

41831245_10212464159379650_1902728747589566464_n.jpg

These are very encouraging changes!
Many of the special prizes have been - let's say - uninspiring...

I am wondering if this is not an attempt to make Fellowship Adventures more attractive, by beefing up the prizes?

Last edited:

DeletedUser9601

I am wondering if this is not an attempt to make Fellowship Adventures more attractive, by beefing up the prizes?
I feel like this is a preview of making set buildings better. Are many of these buildings prizes in FAs?
Definitely a long-overdue change. I haven't been remotely interested in non-mana set buildings in any of the 3 major events yet.

The Unbeliever

I feel like this is a preview of making set buildings better. Are many of these buildings prizes in FAs?
Definitely a long-overdue change. I haven't been remotely interested in non-mana set buildings in any of the 3 major events yet.
I doubt it... The real issues with Elvenar set buildings are;
a) Most of the time it's impossible to obtain the full set UNLESS you spend diamonds.
and
b) They're hilariously massive, give poo in general, and you can't even gain ALL the bonuses even with a full set!!

Compare to FoE set buildings, which is where ours were ported over from;
1. Cherry Garden set = 5 pieces in 5x5 total size. Each building gets FULL bonus for each component when arranged properly.
Outside of extreme RNG screwage, no diamonds were needed if you completed the entire quest line.

2. Maharaja's Palace set = 5 pieces in 8x4 total size. Each building gets FULL bonus for each component when arranged properly.
Easily obtainable w/out diamonds if you completed the entire event quest line.

3. Elephant Fountain set = 5 pieces in 6x4 total size. Each building gets FULL bonus for each component when arranged properly.
Slightly harder to obtain vs. the Palace set, but still readily doable w/out diamonds.

4. Winter Market set = 9 or 10? pieces total, with customizable arrangement. Each building can obtain FULL bonus for each component if you set them up properly.
Okay, this one admittedly was a total write-off, mostly due to how stupidly god-awful the whole FoE Winter event prizes system works! (can't win 'em all I guess?!)

But still, notice the main features; a) readily obtainable WITHOUT requiring a single diamond, and, b) every piece gets it's full bonuses if you arrange them in the 'default' arrangement.
For Elvenar set buildings to become readily usable, they need to actually be fething obtainable in the first damn place without forcing massive diamond spending, AND, every piece needs to get it's full set bonus when you have a full set!:rolleyes:
*steps off soapbox*

DeletedUser9601

a) Most of the time it's impossible to obtain the full set UNLESS you spend diamonds.
and
I haven't played FOE, but I'm wary of comparisons of Game X to Game Y. Yeah, its the same developer, but maybe they have their reasons for the different prize structure? Its not like they don't understand when they produce sub-par set structures.

From your description above, the FOE sets are miniscule compared to Elvenar, so I am not sure the comparisons are appropriate?

The Unbeliever

I haven't played FOE, but I'm wary of comparisons of Game X to Game Y. Yeah, its the same developer, but maybe they have their reasons for the different prize structure? Its not like they don't understand when they produce sub-par set structures.

From your description above, the FOE sets are miniscule compared to Elvenar, so I am not sure the comparisons are appropriate?
They are and they aren't...
Set buildings are direct porting of a very popular event prize (set buildings).

While the sizes are somewhat of an issue here, the biggest fault in them is that Inno took the main feature of the 'original versions' for lack of a better term, and then broke their biggest function here.
I think they'd be much more popular and actually see real use if they;
1) Every piece gives full bonuses if you gain the full set & arrange it in the 'default' set-up.
2) Make it a near 100% odds to get the full set *IF* you complete the full quest line, AND, focus exclusively on just the pieces that don't come within the 'main' quest line/grand prizes. (ie: even if you get RNG screwed when chasing the daily prizes pieces, only the normal statistical 1% will fail due to RNG variance.)

Besides, unlike FoE where diamond spending can allow you technically win 'infinite' sets, (depending on how deep your wallet is!;)), here, thus far, we can only ever gain a max of 1 copy of each full set. (outside of what, 7-14 fellowships who took 1st place in a couple FA's?!)
So not only are the sets far less game-breaking in Elvenar, but they're also damn near impossible to even obtain, and then, they only ever give maybe 70-80% of their full potential rewards to boot?! (...oh, and while also being odd-shaped as well, making them a right PITA to slot into cities!)

For all the many, many hoops one has to jump through to even maaaaybe obtain them, set buildings thus far are a big fat disappointment. :(
(yes, I'm still bitter about missing out on the final piece of the Phoenix set!!:mad::mad::p)

DeletedUser9601

2) Make it a near 100% odds to get the full set *IF* you complete the full quest line, AND, focus exclusively on just the pieces that don't come within the 'main' quest line/grand prizes. (ie: even if you get RNG screwed when chasing the daily prizes pieces, only the normal statistical 1% will fail due to RNG variance.)
2 questions:
1. assuming the odds are near 100%, that makes me think that for many, many people, its easy to get the full set AND a solid amount of "other" stuff. Is that the case?
2. are set buildings so good that no serious player ignores them?

I personally don't like the "set" mechanic. I don't like once-a-day collections, I don't like resetting collections just because I'm tweaking my city layout, and I don't like having "out of place" artwork, so I'm not personally worked up that the full sets aren't the bees' knees. And I would REALLY dislike them if they were basically mandatory (ie, if you ignore them, you're gimping your city). One thing I like about the current events if that you really can just pick the rewards that will benefit how you want to build your city.
In the Winter Event, I liked that I could load up on really strong mana buildings to push me through Woodelves and S&D.
In the Spring Event, it was nice to double down on mana buildings with the Phoenix Pools to make Halflings easier.
In the Summer Event, getting the Festival Merchants to give seeds meant I could always run "fast" (as opposed to "efficient") Elemental productions, and I didn't bog down on seed requirements for techs.
If in each of these cases I was stuck getting a strong, but differently focused, set building, I'm not sure I'd still be in the Amuni chapter now.

DeletedUser17667

@Tedious so far the sets are tiny, yes. Plus, in FOE, we have Daily Challenges that give you the possibility of winning random pieces from past sets, so if your luck is good (diamonds don't work for the Dailies), you can win multiple full sets. You have to be patient though, because the most common pay-out is the 10FP packet (which often is what you really needed anyway). :p

I don't feel that the sets are bad at all, and I don't know why some people get so disappointed about not winning certain things here in Elvenar, because we're told repeatedly that event prizes aren't meant to be kept. We're told that you're supposed to throw them away after a chapter or two because the new "better" items have come out (**snap** **crackle** **pop** "It'll change your world!" pfft). Then you're just going to throw them away too.

What makes the difference between Elvenar sets and FOE sets is that the FOE team is smart about it (sorry, but it's true). We have upgrades for these buildings that can be won in almost every single event, which make them worth keeping. And there are new shrink kits for a couple of the non-set items, too.

There's a trade-off, though, in some of the MASSIVE Great Buildings we have. Alcatraz is 10x7. :eek:

2 questions:
1. assuming the odds are near 100%, that makes me think that for many, many people, its easy to get the full set AND a solid amount of "other" stuff. Is that the case?
For some outrageously dedicated players, yes, that is the case. But then, some of the items are dead common. You can literally have dozens of Wishing Wells (that never expire), Tiger's Dens, Ziggurats, Sand Castles, Decorated Baobab Trees (which are my very favorite trees in the game)...yeah, it's a long list.

2. are set buildings so good that no serious player ignores them? No. I have seen players who have been around for 5+ years that don't seem to bother with the sets. They've got every GB that grants whatever boost they're seeking, and ooooodles of Wishing Wells and Tiger's Dens, and various other repeating event items, but maybe only the Sakura Garden set.

And there are a good number of long-time players who have kept their one-off Event prizes from years ago, because some things just never go out of style (but then, we also have Renovation Kits and One-Up kits, so...) :D

DeletedUser7510

and
b) They're hilariously massive, give poo in general, and you can't even gain ALL the bonuses even with a full set!!

re: a)
I have never bought diamonds, nor spent any directly on events. I had no problems getting complete sets for the last 3 (edit: major) events. I wouldn't even say it required a lot of planning. I usually perused quest lists near the event start in order to make note of the sorts of things I'd have to prepare for, but I didn't really follow them closely. I would say it required some game savviness - utilizing bonus days, having provinces scouted and/or available to scout, building shanty towns, utilizing tournament rewards to complete quests, etc.

To me, it seems that there is a deliberate attempt at structuring event rewards with them dividing potential rewards into 3 camps: "stuff" (instants, KPs, runes, etc), daily buildings, and grand prize sets. Focusing on one camp/path makes it harder to obtain the other 2 - at least not without spending diamonds. This division feels to me like it has only gotten stronger with the reward chest switcheroo in the last event. Would you say in FoE that it's easy (or easier) to get everything (or everything "good") from an event without spending diamonds? Are sets the meat and potatoes of event rewards?

re: b)
Sort of brought up in my last paragraph, but if they are so bad why do you even want them when there are other (presumably better) options as rewards? Especially if you are convinced players have to spend diamonds to get them, it seems like it would be a "suitcase" tax on those who want to have everything and are willing to pay. Then again, if you think their counterparts in FoE generate more money for Inno (directly or indirectly) I may be misjudging things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.