• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Add Children to Residences as Culture Offset

LisaMV

How wonderful would it be to have children skipping on our streets! It would be great to have the option to add children as a culture boost to residences, offset by a small reduction in coins produced per child. Children in the town would add joy and delight, a good culture bonus.
I am always wanting to add or upgrade residences, but cannot because of the culture restrictions it would create. Just thought of this way to balance things, and I can already see the beautiful artwork!
What do you think?

AtaguS

I could see the option to have children in the street being very popular. Could the children be incorporated into a new street type, so that children are among the mix of residents only when that particular street type is built in a city?
This would be great...and can be added to the thread about winning special street sections as event prizes too. It would add culture, which is what @LisaMV is looking for, as well as a lovely new imaginitive element. I'd play an event in the hopes of getting a few of these street options.

LisaMV

I could see the option to have children in the street being very popular. Could the children be incorporated into a new street type, so that children are among the mix of residents only when that particular street type is built in a city?

This is also a cool idea! wow - opens up all sorts of ideas: 'activity' street upgrades, instead of just what you walk on being prettier... lots of possibilities there.

...but my original idea is that children are attached to the residences, and you could choose (in the upgrade tab?) to add a child, up to some number perhaps. It would be fun = like real children, perhaps they could only walk on that one street, not turn corners unless there are other children on an adjacent street! I am thinking more of a flexible addition to the game, where you could trade off income for culture within your residences.

DeletedUser25492

How wonderful would it be to have children skipping on our streets! It would be great to have the option to add children as a culture boost to residences, offset by a small reduction in coins produced per child. Children in the town would add joy and delight, a good culture bonus.
I am always wanting to add or upgrade residences, but cannot because of the culture restrictions it would create. Just thought of this way to balance things, and I can already see the beautiful artwork!
What do you think?
I like you're idea and agree , i think it would be a great asset to each city , that's the way actual cities were back in the midevil days or ancient times. I think it would make it more interesting and draw more players. Great Idea

Crow Last Elf

...but my original idea is that children are attached to the residences, and you could choose (in the upgrade tab?) to add a child, up to some number perhaps. It would be fun = like real children, perhaps they could only walk on that one street, not turn corners unless there are other children on an adjacent street! I am thinking more of a flexible addition to the game, where you could trade off income for culture within your residences.

I hope your idea, as you envision it, gains enough support to be forwarded. I really like the idea that the animation could vary depending on what else is in the city (in this case, more children on the adjacent street).

I noticed you also addressed balancing resources, and not just asking for more, that the city would give up some income to balance the increased culture. Income is one of the easier resources to generate. It may make the game easier. Though I have only played long enough to say this is my experience for early chapters. From your description, I'm not clear on whether the children would require additional space for the residence, like most cultural additions do? If not, would you be willing to invest a different scarce resource like available population or relics in order to have more culture from your residences when you add children?

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I think the coding would be extensive but maybe worth it. You could then have parks and other places for children instead of more residences...the balance between parks, schools, and residences would determine the optimum culture and population density.

But like I said, all of this would take a major coding effort I would think. Still, a great idea.

AJ

LisaMV

I hope your idea, as you envision it, gains enough support to be forwarded. I really like the idea that the animation could vary depending on what else is in the city (in this case, more children on the adjacent street).

I noticed you also addressed balancing resources, and not just asking for more, that the city would give up some income to balance the increased culture. Income is one of the easier resources to generate. It may make the game easier. Though I have only played long enough to say this is my experience for early chapters. From your description, I'm not clear on whether the children would require additional space for the residence, like most cultural additions do? If not, would you be willing to invest a different scarce resource like available population or relics in order to have more culture from your residences when you add children?

Again, much like real children, your house has to be big enough, and yes - all that cuteness will tax your income stream! As I envision it, once your residences get to a certain size, you can add one child, and so on. The developers can (much like the magic of everything else they do) have some ratio/proportion to residences, same as income is now, with culture increase/income decrease dependant upon the level of the residence.

There could always be the wonderful possibility of a "summonings" child, a little magical being than brings culture but does not take from the income, and can skip about all the streets...

LisaMV

I think the coding would be extensive but maybe worth it. You could then have parks and other places for children instead of more residences...the balance between parks, schools, and residences would determine the optimum culture and population density.

But like I said, all of this would take a major coding effort I would think. Still, a great idea.

AJ

Although ALL coding seems 'extensive' to me :rolleyes:, I can see that if they attach it only to the residences, it would be somewhat contained. As far as the street activity, that can just be one more type of person, with a different motion, plus the street limitation. Plus - isn't this what they do - coding?

Parks, YES! and schools! Swingsets / jump rope games as prize summonings... More culture!

Daiman Rahl

Yes this is an excellent idea. Plus the developers could use schools and parks as prizes in events. So depending on the type of city you invision would let you play it more to real life. If you want a city more tech based less kids and schools. While cities heavy with schools and maybe a college would also be available.
Just adding to your idea there. If you have kids you can always have resources for them.

LisaMV

Yes this is an excellent idea. Plus the developers could use schools and parks as prizes in events. So depending on the type of city you invision would let you play it more to real life. If you want a city more tech based less kids and schools. While cities heavy with schools and maybe a college would also be available.
Just adding to your idea there. If you have kids you can always have resources for them.
Love this extended thinking ~ schools/libraries... (and what DO little elf children like to do?)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I thought about this one for a day, and I don't think I'm on board. it's not something everyone will want, and it sounds like a complex job. I'd be more inclined to support child-themed Culture or event buildings. If they were large enough to allow for several children to run around, it would offer something without being imposed that don't want it. There could be a school, Park/playground, even a long trail 1x6 or 6x1 maybe. which could parallel a road and join the two other buildings if you wanted.

Edit: Maybe a summer/exhibition-themed event, with water-slides, circuses, assorted rides, a pet show, and with some non-child themed buildings for other people, like a baking contest, row of game booths, or produce judging contest.

Last edited:

Daiman Rahl

I agree Ashrem, it is not for everyone. But that's the beauty of it if you want a city just manufacturing it is still possible. If you want the extra culture you activate the children. So if you don't want them all you have to do is nothing.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If you want the extra culture you activate the children. So if you don't want them all you have to do is nothing.
As soon as I hear "activate a feature" I think the code is about the get messy. It's much safer to add them to specific buildings rather than have something that turns on to affect some buildings while not having that affect on the same building in another city. They could have different types of residences, but then they need a human version and an elf version, and a regular version and a magic residence version, for each chapter/level, which means 15*2*2*2=120 new residence variants to go with the 120 we already have, And not just base art, but animated art that can't fill the square because it needs to have children running around. That's a lot of art for a feature that I think most people won't use.

Introducing an event building that has culture and pop equivalent to chapter needs, while only requiring a single art asset across all races and chapters is a much less costly addition.

Crow Last Elf

If the mechanic of how the children are added to the residence is too much of a complication, perhaps the proposal could be stated with an explanation of which aspects are the priorities. For example, my reading of the idea is that
First priority is having an option to add children to the city
Second, have the children attached to a specific house
Third, interact with streets or other children
Fourth, require no additional space

With explanations given as to why each priority's requirements is preferred over existing methods of implementation, like street options and new additional stand alone buildings. Wouldn't the amount of effort expended by developers be higher if it is a very popular idea or if there are convincing arguments as to the value it brings to the game? If the demographic for this game is as described below, the building or upgrade that enabled children would be a "must have" for many, in my opinion.

Elvenar is not PvP oriented and has a different target group, it targets Females (and males but females first) in the age 35-60.

There are alternative implementation methods that the developers could choose, for example, if a compromise on requiring additional city space must be made, maybe children could appear in a backyard/frontyard/sideyard building that is part of a set with residences, that generates no resources unless placed as a set. The "yard" addition/link would increase culture and decrease coins.

If the "yard" could evolve and the children age through artifacts or diamonds, I think that would be very popular as well. I could see there being more incentive to play the Spire in order to obtain diamonds in order to add and evolve children.

Deleted User - 4259086

This is an AMAZING idea.:eek: I've always thought they should give more character to the people walking around (like sneezing, or tripping, or falling asleep or a bigbellied pregnant woman or she-elf walking around) but children is a perfect idea.

Maybe if adding children to the residents' buildings is too much, there could be an orphanage that gives a good amount out of culture.:culture:
And maybe provides random small amounts of rewards every now and then- because maybe in the orphanage, there's also schooling. And the children learn how to produce things like crystal and wood. Idk. It's just an idea.:confused:

Orrr maybe the orphanage is one of a collection. Like there's an orphanage, a children's school and playground. And when you eventually acquire the complete set, it produces a small steady flow of supplies (because children learn and do school projects)
Or maybe the complete set produces a small steady replenishment of culture points every now and then.