• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Orcs

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Great job as always @iamthouth!
The surplus of C I had so far = 205%
You also might want to reassess your culture. I keep around 205-210% in my Ch18 city. But that city runs with zero houses, zero regular factories, and 2 magic workshops. My pop/coins/goods come from event bldgs that also give culture instead of using it like the houses/factories/workshops. Still, I have active culture spells on my highest culture bldgs (the highest culture bldg available is offered in the visit window, so typically get the most polishes). The only way you're reaching 205% is by using spells. The culture bonus maxes out at 170% without the use of EE spells. Here's what the Wiki page says about how to assess your culture:

Level 1 will increase your production rate from the standard 100% to 125%. You should definitely try to get this.

Level 2 will increase it from 125% to 150% and it will worth your while to reach this Bonus level on your own.

Level 3 will increase it from 150% to 160%, this Bonus level is intended to be reachable through Neighborly Help.

Level 4 will increase it from 160% to 170%, only a steady flow of Neighborly Help will ensure you can get this Bonus without having to occupy too much space with Cultural Buildings.

DeletedUser30612

Are you not getting your trades taken? You have all the factories down, steel I can understand with it being your sentiment factory but the others should be placed in inventory for when you need them down.

LisaMV

@FAR2019
I only cater, both spire & tourney, but I do have an insane number of Orc Nests, which are phenomenal producers and easy to work with timing wise. I also built ONE armory that produces orcs, and even though I am not military, the Armory is wonderful because in a pinch you can time-boost productions if you need to.

( @Henroo )
ALSO! The Witch's Hut is a great Orc producer, depending on how evolved you have it. An easy way to compare production is to look at what you get from 2 Orc Nests, which takes up the same number of tiles in your city.

I have never had a problem with running out of Orcs, except in one city where that blasted MA would not give me an orc nest to save my soul when I first hit that chapter. It's fine now: time heals all!
:)

Last edited:

Gkyr

Chef
It sounds as if you are in chapter 6 or 7. Are you elf or human? EVERYONE: when asking for advice, always tell the forum your species (human or elf) and your current chapter. It helps us help you. Tell us your server/world is also a help.

1. Use your space more efficiently: get rid of culture buildings and purchase culture tiles for your walkways instead. This equals culture supply without taking up building tiles. 2. If you cannot afford it you are probably not balancing your resources correctly.
3. Excess culture only boosts the production of coins and supplies, not goods. If you are short on goods you need to develop these resources.
4. Get enough resources to upgrade your manufactories and then maybe you can do with 1 or 2 fewer. 5. As mentioned, make upgrading Armories to lvl 20 a priority (after assuring yourself of balanced goods).
6. If you told us your server/world, we could visit your city and point out mistakes. If you are producing non-boosted goods, STOP IT now. Make only boosted goods and trade for what you do not make.
7. For advice for whatever chapter you are in, visit elvengems.com and scroll down to your present guest race and absorb the free advice. Also, Google 'Mykans' or "Minmaxgame' and 'Elvenar' and '[insert your guest race here]' and see what has been published online regarding city layouts, needs and strategies.
8. Ask your fellowship mates for advice and look at the bigger cities.
9. Go to ElvenStats.com. put in your name, the click on 'player' and put in the name of a successful player at your level or above. It will show the percentage of tiles being used for footpaths, manufacuring, residence, workshops, etc. See if you match these profiles or if you are way out outlier on something. Disclaimer: there are very different city designs because we all play differently and the differences can be substantial. What works for someone else may not work for you. But if you visit a dozen cities you will start to get a general idea.
I'm done.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@FAR2019 One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet is the Witch Hut. It is the evolving building from the 2020 Halloween event. If you are in chapter 10 then I think there is a chance you were playing back then. If you do have this building, upgrade it to orcs level or higher. Once Witch Hut reaches Orcs level, it will start to produce orcs and it is one of the best orc producers in the game.

Gkyr

Chef
Are you talking to the person who started the thread? If so, they said they are in chapter 10.
Ye Gods. And Armories are at 17?!? They need a kindly visit from someone in Khelonaar - and I know that several experienced players in this thread have cities in K.
KK, I cannot visit, but I looked at OP's stats on Elvenstats.com. @FAR2019 , the real outlier is that you have 18% of your tiles used as paths (roads). That is way too much for any style of play. You are using 18% of your tiles for paths. In comparison, I am using 8% and three experienced, advanced players who have cities in Khelonaar and are in this thread use 8, 11, and 7 percent of their tiles for paths.
Please read this: https://elvengems.com/city-layout-space-optimization/
And this: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index....efits-of-the-spiral-design.27295/#post-216567
And this: https://minmaxgame.com/elvenar-sorcerers-dragons-day-01-04/
And maybe even this:
(maybe too much).
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gkyr

Chef
Not to hijack a thread, but to show how variable city space allocations can be, I also compared 5 of us for coins (13,5,7,13,0 percent of tiles), workshops (3,10,5,6,2), Manufactories (11,5,21,17,4), culture (17,13,12,19,18), and Ancient Wonders (9,6,11,2,11 percent of tiles).

Last edited:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
KK, I cannot visit, but I looked at OP's stats on Elvenstats.com. @FAR2019 , the real outlier is that you have 18% of your tiles used as paths (roads). That is way too much for any style of play. You are using 18% of your tiles for paths. In comparison, I am using 8% and three experienced, advanced players who have cities in Khelonaar and are in this thread use 8, 11, and 7 percent of their tiles for paths.
Oh! I did not realize this. 18% roads is way too much! I'm fairly sure I am one of the advanced players in Khelonaar @Gkyr is talking about. @FAR2019 feel free to visit my city in Khelonaar and look at how I have my roads. Maybe it will give you some ideas. But in general: long, straight roads are more efficient than roads that constantly juke back and forth. And a building only needs to touch a road on 1 side. If you have a building with roads on each side, it is inefficient.

@FAR2019 On a different note, I visited your city in Khel to look at it. I do agree the road network could be more efficient. But I also noticed you have 3 Weeping Willows. I am not sure if you realize this or not, but you can craft Festival Merchants in the Magic Academy and they will produce way more mana than a Weeping Willow. Furthermore, the Festival Merchants are much smaller. You would easily be able to fit 4 or 5 Festival Merchants in the space your 3 Weeping Willows occupy. And have space left. This would vastly improve your mana production. The only possible downside would be that you would take a small culture hit.

Gkyr

Chef
On a different note, I visited your city in Khel to look at it. I do agree the road network could be more efficient. But I also noticed you have 3 Weeping Willows. I am not sure if you realize this or not, but you can craft Festival Merchants in the Magic Academy and they will produce way more mana than a Weeping Willow. Furthermore, the Festival Merchants are much smaller. You would easily be able to fit 4 or 5 Festival Merchants in the space your 3 Weeping Willows occupy. And have space left. This would vastly improve your mana production. The only possible downside would be that you would take a small culture hit.
Right. Festival Merchants will be the best way forward for mana and then seeds for the next six chapters forward.

Gkyr

Chef
@FAR2019 , Many of us use population buildings that require no roads. You dont get coins, but my coins come mainly from Golden Abyss and event buildings. Unexpected morning are the best, followed by Calligraphy Class, then Goblin Gift shop. Get them during seasonal events.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Unexpected morning are the best, followed by Calligraphy Class, then Goblin Gift shop. Get them during seasonal events.
I agree about Goblin Gift Shop and Calligraphy Class. Those are top notch buildings. But what is so special about Unexpected Morning?

Gkyr

Chef
I agree about Goblin Gift Shop and Calligraphy Class. Those are top notch buildings. But what is so special about Unexpected Morning?
It all comes down to play style.
You are 100% correct when it comes to purely population: GGS and CC are close to the same thing for pop/tile and culture/tile. Unexpected Morning is only 80% of their population per tile, but it is 300% of their culture per tile and that matters to me as I balance my resources.
I would amend my statement (with respect to my playing style) to UM > GGS > CC.

As an aside to any newbies reading this: these 3 buildings contribute pop and culture points but in comparison to Residence and Magic Residence they do not require any road tiles and do not require culture points to build. However, they contribute no coins, either. I get most of my coins from Golden Abyss and event buildings.

I will admit that a combination of GGS/CC and sun codex (the most available efficient culture per tile building around chapter 10) will better UM, but I have won a lot of UMs. :)

LisaMV

...the pretty white horses? :)
Goblin Gift Shop can't be beat, Winter Star (love!!) from our recent event is the same as Calligraphy Class, both great. These are all surprisingly better pop/sq than even a Magic Residence.
If you are lucky to get an Igloo Festival from your MA, those pack quite a pop-punch as well. (omg - have those diappeared from our MA now?! noooooo! eek.)

FAR2019

Are you not getting your trades taken? You have all the factories down, steel I can understand with it being your sentiment factory but the others should be placed in inventory for when you need them down.
Hi!

Not sure about your post? First I was recently moved out from my place on the World Map due to so many inactive cities, but now I am getting few trades taken, before I did not have any trades at all! Second, I have noticed that Steel (on my end) is very scarce and hard to get, so I have 3 steel manufactories on level 15. Thanks for the reply! :)