• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Discussion The Cauldron - Discussion Thread

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
I just looked at the thread for the spire when it came out. Seems like the same volume of denouncing it and saying it's a good thing.
i like the idea behind the cauldron. Over all there wouldnt be much of a down side with it. - I jsut think it has those two main flaws in its design. 1 we should be able to use the goblets when we want, not all at once. And 2. we should be able to donate resources any time the witch is there. Not when she is there AND only after you make the potion. - I think those two are highly limiting and should be changed.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Has it been confirmed whether or not the order in which you add ingredients matters?
i would say yes. At least in part from what iv already seen.

I was jsut going to brew up a military batch. I had 3 of the 4 ingredients available.
Adding them in different orders seems to effect the points used. But the success rate and effects stayed the same. (at least in this highly limited test)
Mana shell - catapiller lime - medusa egg
1-1-1
2-2-2
3-3-3
(mana, cat egg, mana, cat, egg, mana , cat, egg)
Cost 1049 points
60% success rate

where as a straight up
3-3-3
(mana, mana, mana, cat, cat, cat, egg, egg, egg)
cost 1008 points
60% success rate.

So my success rate and effects were the same, but the costs were different.
It might not seem like much, but since my total is 1023 points, 1049 vs 1008 makes the difference.

edit: my chance to proc the effect, and the effect were both the same in these two cases.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
cauldron_02.jpg

Probably already been realized, but i just noticed it..
Last week when i drank the potion from the goblets, i got either failures or all the same effect. When i got the same effect the strength and the time varied. And I had to chose which one to keep.
I assumed it would be like that for any effect i got. But it looks like that is wrong. Today i drank form 5 goblets and got 3 completely different effects. I wasnt sure if they were over writing the last one without a choice of if they were all active. But if you exit and come back into that opening screen, you can see the effects that are active. And i did indeed have all three active at once.

So it looks like you can have multiple effects running at once. But if you get the same effect twice, you have to chose between them two.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
i would say yes. At least in part from what iv already seen.

I was jsut going to brew up a military batch. I had 3 of the 4 ingredients available.
Adding them in different orders seems to effect the points used. But the success rate and effects stayed the same. (at least in this highly limited test)
Mana shell - catapiller lime - medusa egg
1-1-1
2-2-2
3-3-3
(mana, cat egg, mana, cat, egg, mana , cat, egg)
Cost 1049 points
60% success rate

where as a straight up
3-3-3
(mana, mana, mana, cat, cat, cat, egg, egg, egg)
cost 1008 points
60% success rate.

So my success rate and effects were the same, but the costs were different.
It might not seem like much, but since my total is 1023 points, 1049 vs 1008 makes the difference.

edit: my chance to proc the effect, and the effect were both the same in these two cases.
There is the overall chance of success for a potion. Then there is the probability of each individual effect. Do you know if the individual effect probabilities were the same for your 2 potions?

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
There is the overall chance of success for a potion. Then there is the probability of each individual effect. Do you know if the individual effect probabilities were the same for your 2 potions?
I only tried those two combos, but the over all success rate was 60% on both, the chance to proc each effect was the same on both, and the actualy effect % was the same on both. Only thing different in my two, was the cost of witch points.

Moho

Chef
I think that you cannot 'wait'.
Well, it's okay. I'll pick the best potion I can get and use that.

Ever since the Cauldron was announced, my plan has been to use this feature to better my performance in the Spire. So if I can improve my troops' strength or health by means of the Cauldron I'm satisfied.

It doesn't take much time either. For instance, today I tried several combinations and decided to try and obtain the General's Mayhem effect. The brewing was successful twice:
c01.jpg

I chose the second potion, where the strength of my troops increased by 9.7%. I fed the Fire Phoenix and Twilight Phoenix. I used the Dwarven Armorer and the three combat boosters crafted in the MA. Then I went to the top of the Spire in less than half an hour.

Some people seem to be vexed. It's odd. The new feature works fast and easy. And you can ignore it altogether if you think it's useless.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Some people seem to be vexed. It's odd. The new feature works fast and easy. And you can ignore it altogether if you think it's useless.
Ppl always are when something new is introduced. And thats not just in this game, its all around. Iv seen it many times.
There is often things to discover and strategies to use and develop. So i try not to be critical to quickly. - But i will state my observations and possible improvements. And in this case, i refer to the two i mentioned. 1. Being able to use the goblets when you see fit; not all at once. And 2. Being able to make donations any time the witch is there; not only after you make a potion. - I think those two changes would make this system a lot better.
Im guessing after all the development time and beta time.. that inno probably wont make those changes... but it still seems a good idea imo.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Ever since the Cauldron was announced, my plan has been to use this feature to better my performance in the Spire. So if I can improve my troops' strength or health by means of the Cauldron I'm satisfied.
I think thats likely what im gonna end up doing. It looked like the military benefit is what id like to go for. But its a bit of waste right now to try and use it closer to the end of the week/tourney/spire. Possibly Thursday which is the last day for spire and mid day for tourney. Seems like if you could only get one use out of it, that would be the most efficient day to maximize the boost. - But.. it would leave next to no time to donate extra resources to improve effects. (Part of my complaint/suggestion about the cauldron.) So that has a big pit fall because of that.

So with that option not being the best.. at least not until time boost are more maxed out.. your left with earlier in the week. Probably either sunday, the first day the cauldron is available (iir) and the spire starts or tuesday both spire and first tourney day. - Depending on whats more beneficial that week; a little more boost for tourneys first round or the extra two-three days or donation period. - Obviously a full spire run would take a much bigger toll on the troops then the first round of tourney. So that would be the military priority in those cases.

Its kinda sad how much not being able to donate until after you make a potion effects the strategy to be able to use the cauldron..

Silver Lady

I only opened in one city and found 2 things that are annoying: 1) caldron quests which I hope will be done soon and 2) the notification that keeps showing up in my NH/trades picked up tab (I’m using the app). The second is the worst for me as i now have 2 of the sorceress has come back and I guess there will be 3 on Saturday. There isn’t enough space on this tab as is. Couldn’t they do a brief popup in keeping with the Spire & tournament announcements?

Silver Lady

@Dominionofgod I’ve had a couple of quests show up, 1 was to use a goblet and another to donate witches points to the MA. They showed up in place of the generic rotating quest under the story line quest.

Kadhrin

It would be nice if the potions actually worked. I’m getting the exact same 84 marble per baby T1 that I was getting before the supposedly-34% bonus portion went active.

Moho

Chef
It would be nice if the potions actually worked.
I was thinking the same thing, but I brewed a different potion - it was supposed to make my Barracks combat men stronger. I used only units produced in the Barracks to climb to the top of the Spire and I can confirm that there seemed to be a difference. It's hard to tell for sure since I had activated so many different things to help my troops in battle, including the Twilight Phoenix. However, I kept an eye on this aspect and there were fewer casualties than I would have expected. Either I was lucky or the potion worked.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Well, I like it so far. I spent basically nothing on it and I'm getting +17.6% Strength in my Merc camp.
In another city, I got lower but still "better than nothing" boosts. At a cost of nothing, what's to complain about?

With all of the negativity, I thought it would be a feature to ignore (which really isn't that bad as a worst-case scenario) but it seems like most if not all of the winging is misplaced.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Well, I like it so far. I spent basically nothing on it and I'm getting +17.6% Strength in my Merc camp.
In another city, I got lower but still "better than nothing" boosts. At a cost of nothing, what's to complain about?

With all of the negativity, I thought it would be a feature to ignore (which really isn't that bad as a worst-case scenario) but it seems like most if not all of the winging is misplaced.
I agree. It costs nothing to use. And the donation of goods is a way to use extra stuff that ppl had been complaining about wanting a use for for ages.