• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Award for Killing Fun Goes to: Whoever Nerfed Troops

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser2963

I am really having fun with the Battle update. I did not expand evenly in my main city, as a result I have provinces in several different rings that I have been able to open up and play with. I am in chapter 5 and I have provinces in ring 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 open. Due to the progressive difficulty created by the update these fights range from almost impossible to lose to absolutely impossible to win depending on the ring I am in.

The fact that I am having fun with the system does not mean I think it is perfect. The HM nerf is, in my opinion, unbalanced. A ranged unit should not be able to survive an HM hit, and certainly not survive several hits(LR can survive several hits from HM now). All around I think they nerfed the HM hit to far against every type, but it is really glaring against LR and those stinking dogs!

Just my 2 cents, and on topic thraxus.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser43

Did you do a lot of fighting before at your level? I am curious how it compares to what you had.

Where were you having difficulty under the old system?

Thistleknot

I will agree that you have more troops in each squad, but that does not mean that the squads are stronger. I like the idea of the combat pentagon. I like the challenges that this represents. But the troops seem to be weaker in both health and in the amount of damage they dish out. Previously I could face 3 to 1 odds and win. Now I get totally destroyed. I not complaining about this, merely stating that is what is happening. Part of that is me learning to fight again. Part of that is that my troops are weaker while the enemy troops are stronger. I wish that all the pieces of the combat system were released. Then we could get a true picture of how good the system is.

DeletedUser4372

while i agree this move could of been tempered with some empathy for the levels they took, then pretended they took nothing. An old Kung-Fu Master told me the secret of this game. i will share it now.

You play Elvenar like you grow your plants. You do not overwater them? You do not overfeed them? You give them a little attention, make sure the light gets to them at the proper time limits? You WAIT very patiently until your fruit is ripe. This that you do so well with growing my medical Plants, you should do with Elvenar. (hope it helps).

DeletedUser2870

The level of nerfing is fine. Once I researched the three techs that were suddenly mandated and took a moment, well more than a moment, to understand and work with the new battle mechanics I am approximately back where I was. I lose a few more troops than I did before but that is due to the enemy troop numbers being slightly larger now.

Whether it made the game more fun is too soon to tell. That will not be known until the full upgrade is in effect and we see the entire picture. So far there is no change, but then again I am moderate in that I don't focus unduly on one aspect as some here have and are now paying for.

Lots of BS in this post, sorry, but there really is no other word for that.
On my main world I have finished the orc-chapter. Everything is researched and activated. Meaning I have the maximum squadsizes and the max. upgraded versions of my troops.
Yet there is no way I can win any battles in the provinces anymore. The enemy regularly has more squads than I do, meaning my so-called 'key units' to those provinces will always be outnumbered, so there will always be enemy units that will be able to destroy mine.
My units do WAY less damage than before. Enemy troops are 5- 6 times the size mine at the point where I am (counting the troops in the few encounters where there are only 5 enemy squads).

Elves were already disadvantaged in the beginning of the game since human troops were way superior, but they gained power later in the game. Now they're disadvantaged in the later game as well.
The Swordacrobats are decent, but way too small in number and too vulnerable to be much else than cannonfodder. And highly ineffective against anything except their specific targetunits.
My archers seem to already drop dead if any kind of enemy unit even looks at them cross-eyed. And their damage against heavy melee is laughably small, even though they are supposed to be the main weapon against them.
My treants are supposed to be tanks, but the damage they deal has been greatly reduced and their vulnerability increased, so by the time they come into action there's not much left of them. I mean, even cerberus 1 units seem to just gobble up my elder treants. And those are supposed to be my tanks for melee? get real.
The golems have gotten more vulnerable and less powerfull. And they STILL suck at lvl 1, get only marginally better at lvl 2 and are now at best decent as granite golems, but have to get into the range of the units they are supposed to counter and then get mowed down.
The sorceress is now almost useless. She's suddenly got a high initiative, meaning she needs to be in the front...where she gets slaughtered. She's supposed to be effective against archers. But the archers have a huge bonus against her, so even if she gets in the first shot, she hardly will survive the returnblow. And having her skip the first turn to prevent that will only delay that for one turn.

And before I get a lot of flak of not knowing anything about battle: I fought over 75% of all encounters in all provinces and was suddenly stuck with the orcs-are-needed problem when they introduced them and I at that time was nowhere near the orc-chapter, but already way beyond that ring, so I managed to win battles even against much larger enemy troops...now I can't even seem to win a tourney battle without ridiculously high losses.

DeletedUser2870

Again, we fall back to planning and tactics BobbyKitty. I scout/conquer to what it says/suggests in the # / # of the Advanced Scouting Tech/Chest. This means that my battles and negotiations are not harder/more expensive. It means I have to prioritize on what is and is not important in terms of production and buildings. It means planning. It can and is being done.

When a person gets to where those upgrades where etc.. their troop sizes are now well and above what they were when they were there. The amount increases the further one goes into chapters. To illustrate this lets take a look at what the troop size would have been in the old system at end of chapter and what it is now.

Old way you max out at 576 trooper per squad at the end of Orcs

Current way you max out at that same spot with 3534 troops per squad.

That is an increase ratio of a little over 6:1 if that is your idea of weaker then yeah..

Actually at the end of the orc-chapter my squad of swordacrobats now is 1140. So where you get the idea that my max troopsize would be 3534 is beyond me. Might be the theory, but very definitely not the thruth out here. And yes, everything is researched and activated. So what are you talking about?
Enemy squads are about 5x mine.
The squads are larger, but you produce more at a time too. And the enemy squads are way larger too. So the fact that I have a higher number next to my squads doesn't mean a thing.

DeletedUser4417

Lots of BS in this post, sorry, but there really is no other word for that.
On my main world I have finished the orc-chapter. Everything is researched and activated. Meaning I have the maximum squadsizes and the max. upgraded versions of my troops.
Yet there is no way I can win any battles in the provinces anymore. The enemy regularly has more squads than I do, meaning my so-called 'key units' to those provinces will always be outnumbered, so there will always be enemy units that will be able to destroy mine.
My units do WAY less damage than before. Enemy troops are 5- 6 times the size mine at the point where I am (counting the troops in the few encounters where there are only 5 enemy squads).

Elves were already disadvantaged in the beginning of the game since human troops were way superior, but they gained power later in the game. Now they're disadvantaged in the later game as well.
The Swordacrobats are decent, but way too small in number and too vulnerable to be much else than cannonfodder. And highly ineffective against anything except their specific targetunits.
My archers seem to already drop dead if any kind of enemy unit even looks at them cross-eyed. And their damage against heavy melee is laughably small, even though they are supposed to be the main weapon against them.
My treants are supposed to be tanks, but the damage they deal has been greatly reduced and their vulnerability increased, so by the time they come into action there's not much left of them. I mean, even cerberus 1 units seem to just gobble up my elder treants. And those are supposed to be my tanks for melee? get real.
The golems have gotten more vulnerable and less powerfull. And they STILL suck at lvl 1, get only marginally better at lvl 2 and are now at best decent as granite golems, but have to get into the range of the units they are supposed to counter and then get mowed down.
The sorceress is now almost useless. She's suddenly got a high initiative, meaning she needs to be in the front...where she gets slaughtered. She's supposed to be effective against archers. But the archers have a huge bonus against her, so even if she gets in the first shot, she hardly will survive the returnblow. And having her skip the first turn to prevent that will only delay that for one turn.

And before I get a lot of flak of not knowing anything about battle: I fought over 75% of all encounters in all provinces and was suddenly stuck with the orcs-are-needed problem when they introduced them and I at that time was nowhere near the orc-chapter, but already way beyond that ring, so I managed to win battles even against much larger enemy troops...now I can't even seem to win a tourney battle without ridiculously high losses.
Quite the assumption. I will simply ask this? How many provinces are you ahead of where you should be? I would be willing to bet that you are well and above in provinces of where you SHOULD be at the end of Orcs. So no, there is not 'lots of BS' in the post. When a person does NOT over-scout and over conquer then yes the battles are as they should be. Again it goes to tactics and figuring out the battle system.

DeletedUser2753

How many provinces are you ahead of where you should be?

I would like to help you get an understanding of the above concept of overextending scouting and acquiring provinces.
  1. The first time this was mentioned was here on the forum about 4 months ago by Kat, at the time the resident guru on the intentions of the developers. He stated they needed to and intended to balance the game. Before that point Innogames encouraged and promoted scouting and expansion by way of quests, Hints on log in and the wiki, and even providing the easiest way at times to get an expansion in the expansions list of 3 ways, The reaction was not good. Many thought balancing the game meant making it more frustratingly slow unless you spent $ for expansions.
  2. Each Chapter up to Orcs had about 5 expansions each, and once the guest races appeared the space requirements increased and the expansions in research were fewer, now the next guest race and chapter is reported to only have three expansions you can buy with time (kps) But low and behold they now let you buy many more... Obviously there was a reaction.
  3. The next time it came up was with the release of Orcs when they required Orcs to negotiate beyond a certain ring, I believe 10. This was met with great resistance by anyone who had not started the Orc Chapter. again Kat championed the fact the developers wanted to throttle the acquisition of provinces by negotiating instead of fighting, since some had stratagized that building large numbers of mfgs gave them goods to grow and expand faster. Many saw this as an attempt to increase revenue with diamond purchases of expansions
  4. Now with the new battle system we hear from you and others that the Chests over the scouts represent a desired , balanced amount of expansion not only as minimum as they appear to represent. After you complete the chest the magic # disappears, but I doubt most experienced players were below that number and found the "min" no problem. The supposed max/min after Orcs is to TBD. Some ask is this how you encourage and reward players?
  5. Now you and a few others tout that it is the only way to play the game, stay in your place, stay balanced and trod along like good consumers in line, between these new magic lines of min and max. This was not how the game was first sold or played for almost a year. Players felt good moving ahead as fast as they could, within the limits or goods, supplies, expansions and population, the found ways, some spending $1000s of dollars to be winners. This encouraged people to feel like they were smart.
  6. This new set of limits and a new philosophy has not been around forever. but is recent, so you should not disparage those that find it a real issue.
I hopes this helps you be less a know it all. thanks

DeletedUser4163

I've been playing for about 5 months, I have always taken the scouting/conquer number in the Scouts research as a minimum. As there has never been a announcement, until recently and only an announcement from players nothing official from Inno (I may be wrong about that), that it is not.

We must also realize that we are taking criticism from a player that's only played for 4 weeks, by his own admission. So rather than get physco analyzed by a first semester physc student I will leave that too the people who have actually put the time and effort into this game

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Well stated Architect.
As I see it the game works best when players balance out their tech tree and expansions. However, those of you who have been here since the beginning had no such option since chapters weren't released as fast as you finished the tech tree. Likewise if you played more than a few log ins a day all you could do was expand, or wait a few months doing nothing at all.

DeletedUser3297

With future updates I do hope that the devs do create a better balance. I do understand why they did what they did. Future players will not be sitting at the end of the tech tree conquering provinces because of all the changes. So for future players, there will always be something to do instead of logging on and resetting everything before logging off for another day. I am hoping that all players will be included in balancing because they should be, they have been here the longest, they have done the most. Any balance to the game should not stop progress for anyone.

DeletedUser4417

I would like to help you get an understanding of the above concept of overextending scouting and acquiring provinces.
  1. The first time this was mentioned was here on the forum about 4 months ago by Kat, at the time the resident guru on the intentions of the developers. He stated they needed to and intended to balance the game. Before that point Innogames encouraged and promoted scouting and expansion by way of quests, Hints on log in and the wiki, and even providing the easiest way at times to get an expansion in the expansions list of 3 ways, The reaction was not good. Many thought balancing the game meant making it more frustratingly slow unless you spent $ for expansions.
  2. Each Chapter up to Orcs had about 5 expansions each, and once the guest races appeared the space requirements increased and the expansions in research were fewer, now the next guest race and chapter is reported to only have three expansions you can buy with time (kps) But low and behold they now let you buy many more... Obviously there was a reaction.
  3. The next time it came up was with the release of Orcs when they required Orcs to negotiate beyond a certain ring, I believe 10. This was met with great resistance by anyone who had not started the Orc Chapter. again Kat championed the fact the developers wanted to throttle the acquisition of provinces by negotiating instead of fighting, since some had stratagized that building large numbers of mfgs gave them goods to grow and expand faster. Many saw this as an attempt to increase revenue with diamond purchases of expansions
  4. Now with the new battle system we hear from you and others that the Chests over the scouts represent a desired , balanced amount of expansion not only as minimum as they appear to represent. After you complete the chest the magic # disappears, but I doubt most experienced players were below that number and found the "min" no problem. The supposed max/min after Orcs is to TBD. Some ask is this how you encourage and reward players?
  5. Now you and a few others tout that it is the only way to play the game, stay in your place, stay balanced and trod along like good consumers in line, between these new magic lines of min and max. This was not how the game was first sold or played for almost a year. Players felt good moving ahead as fast as they could, within the limits or goods, supplies, expansions and population, the found ways, some spending $1000s of dollars to be winners. This encouraged people to feel like they were smart.
  6. This new set of limits and a new philosophy has not been around forever. but is recent, so you should not disparage those that find it a real issue.
I hopes this helps you be less a know it all. thanks
Well, the long and short of things is that all things, including games such as Elvenar, change. How much or how little is dependant upon the game. You state that the Devs intended to balance the game and they notice of such approximately 4 months ago. This was clue one that things were a changin'.

The problem here is that players are living in the past. That was how things were, not how they ARE today. Inno stated they intended to change things up, slow the pace down and balance things out. That is what they did. Elvenar has been around for approximately 2 years, give or take a few months. In that time it has seen seven, soon to be eight expansions to the game. That is an unheard of pace in the gaming world. Do you have any idea of how long it takes to envision and write out a story to include quests etc? Then to turn around and code this? Then turn around and have the requisite graphics and sound? Then there is the interface so that each building/unit/attack/defense/ability/good etc is linked to not only its proper place and home but it playable and does not upset the existing flow of things?

Players are encouraged and rewarded with new expansions and new ways that they can grow and interact and explore the world and their environs. The game is NOT just about existing players but about new players coming in. Sometimes change is uncomfortable and hurts but it is necessary and is adapted to and the world goes on.

Noone has touted that ONLY way to play the game is stay in your place etc. I and I am certain noone else has ever said let alone suggested that so on that I call BS and that it's an out and out lie. What I and others have said is to balance game play. When others complain about not winning battles I pointed out why, in that they had over-conquered and should rectify that if they wished to continue fighting etc.

Was the game sold with some understanding that it would never change? No. Each person KNEW the risks that the game could and likely would change. Heck every players knows the risks that today they log on to play Elvenar and in two more days the Devs could suddenly decide 'nope, time to move on with our lives, and shut it down completely.'

No, the new set of rules and philosophy has not been around forever but you have known it was coming for what now? 1/6 of the total time that Elvenar has been a game? Most COMPANIES that EMPLOY people don't even give that kind of notice of change coming.

I'm not a know it and have never billed myself as such. I simply came back in, took a look at the game and the rules etc., read and listened, watched and relearned. I saw and experienced that it was harder to fight when I went over the provinces, harder still if I was over by a chapter or more and that it got progressively easier the closer those numbers came to lining up. I compared this to what others were experienced and found it to be true no matter the time. In essence I learned the game and when people complained of a problem I offered the benefit of what was learned.

Some people did not like that.

I've been playing for about 5 months, I have always taken the scouting/conquer number in the Scouts research as a minimum. As there has never been a announcement, until recently and only an announcement from players nothing official from Inno (I may be wrong about that), that it is not.

We must also realize that we are taking criticism from a player that's only played for 4 weeks, by his own admission. So rather than get physco analyzed by a first semester physc student I will leave that too the people who have actually put the time and effort into this game

It is both a minimum and a maximum number for OPTIMUM results. That means that as long as you stay within that # / # you will be able to battle as it should be without taking massive losses or coming to an outright stall and having to retreat to save your forces.

Yes, I've come BACK to the game and only been playing for approximately 4 weeks and in that time I've managed to learn the game and figure it out and give constructive advice. I'm sorry that you did not like getting told that the reason you are having problems is in part your own doing. It does not take even a first semester psych student to look at what you were doing and properly diagnose it and offer advice. What you had was a case of where you went into a doctor with a nail in your head and complained of a headache and when the Doc attempted to help by pulling the nail out you complained then got angry with the guy trying to help.

Actually at the end of the orc-chapter my squad of swordacrobats now is 1140. So where you get the idea that my max troopsize would be 3534 is beyond me. Might be the theory, but very definitely not the thruth out here. And yes, everything is researched and activated. So what are you talking about?
Enemy squads are about 5x mine.
The squads are larger, but you produce more at a time too. And the enemy squads are way larger too. So the fact that I have a higher number next to my squads doesn't mean a thing.
*Sigh* Okay, this REALLY should be OLD HAT to a person that has played as long as you claim.

That 3534 number is for the base number of troops that you start with and likely the next few. Each of these has a troop size of 1. You find this out by clicking in the little blue 'I' in the upper right hand corner of the troop type where it tells you all about it. There is a bottom bar that slides left to right marked 'troop size.' Thus a troop size of '1' means that a squad that COULD hold 3534 would hold 3534 of these. A troop size of 2 would divide that number in half. Your swordacrobats appear to divide that number by 3. Some do it by more than that. It's why some squads are larger than others and some are smaller.

DeletedUser43

upload_2016-10-22_15-41-28.png

"Current way you max out at that same spot with 3534 troops per squad."

That is ring 15. 1140. All tech complete. No squad size upgrades missing in the game. As usual, you are making things up and basing your arguments on them. Making them up. Out of thin air.

You state that the Devs intended to balance the game and they notice of such approximately 4 months ago.

Again, no no no no no. No that is not what he said and it not what happened. No dev ever said a thing. There is one player here who pretends to be a player but seems to have more info than a regular player should have, so people often think he is a dev. He might be. He might be one of the moderators. No one knows. But his comments are officially nothing more than some random player's musings. When says "resident guru" it is a highly sarcastic comment.

The problem here is that players are living in the past.

Yes...they are living so September 2016! (That is sarcasm too).

Inno stated they intended to change things up, slow the pace down and balance things out.

Nope. And certainly not before they willingly took people's money.

That is an unheard of pace in the gaming world. Do you have any idea of how long it takes to envision and write out a story to include quests etc?

If the game wasn't ready it shouldn't have been released. Or call it all beta. Be honest. You don't have a game yet, you have a game you are trying to create. Then people won't be conned into thinking they are paying for something that is stable.

The game is NOT just about existing players but about new players coming in.

You will see. EVERY change is ONLY about new players. Never about existing players. Don't worry, you'll get orc dunged on too. Just wait.

Was the game sold with some understanding that it would never change? No. Each person KNEW the risks that the game could and likely would change. Heck every players knows the risks that today they log on to play Elvenar and in two more days the Devs could suddenly decide 'nope, time to move on with our lives, and shut it down completely.'

It is sold a ready for primetime live game. It is not sold as a beta game. Yet, the only difference between the beta version and here are 2 weeks.

No, the new set of rules and philosophy has not been around forever but you have known it was coming for what now? 1/6 of the total time that Elvenar has been a game? Most COMPANIES that EMPLOY people don't even give that kind of notice of change coming.

Again, no, no, no, and no. You have taken a purely sarcastic comment and run off the rails with it. Nothing that any player says in these forums is Inno's position on the game. Nothing. Nothing said by any player reflects the views and opinions of the devs or the company.

I'm not a know it and have never billed myself as such.
And yet, here you are preaching highly inaccurate information over and over.

Finally, even if all of what you said was accurate and Inno had informed people of the future changes of this game, none of that changes the fact that they are chasing away tons of players with these changes. Many people actually enjoying PLAYING video games. Not waiting until the planets line up exactly so they can maybe engage in a fight. That is bad game design. You have been here a few weeks. Tell me how excited you are in 6 months, in 2 years. Tell me, when your game has completely stalled and you have zero to do, tell me then how much you agree that your progress should be slowed.

I wonder who you are. Your very first post, when you had been here maybe a week or so, you came in to the bug report section and were the authority on the brand new battle system. I find that truly bizarre.

DeletedUser4163

Yes, I've come BACK to the game and only been playing for approximately 4 weeks and in that time I've managed to learn the game and figure it out and give constructive advice. I'm sorry that you did not like getting told that the reason you are having problems is in part your own doing. It does not take even a first semester psych student to look at what you were doing and properly diagnose it and offer advice. What you had was a case of where you went into a doctor with a nail in your head and complained of a headache and when the Doc attempted to help by pulling the nail out you complained then got angry with the guy trying to help.

Never said I was having problems, the only thing I have said about this whole upgrade was that "it has fundamentally changed the game, and this is not the game I signed up to play"

I'm not complaining about the help, but how it is administered and the skill level of the administer.

For your info the first official announcement of possible changes was Aug 30th

DeletedUser4417

Edited to reflect post by Soggy and upon re-checking.
Again, no no no no no. No that is not what he said and it not what happened. No dev ever said a thing. There is one player here who pretends to be a player but seems to have more info than a regular player should have, so people often think he is a dev. He might be. He might be one of the moderators. No one knows. But his comments are officially nothing more than some random player's musings. When says "resident guru" it is a highly sarcastic comment.

Do they no longer teach people to pay attention in school? Do they no longer teach reading comprehension? Do they not teach people how to trouble shoot a problem and try to figure it out on their own? I gained all the aforementioned knowledge by reading, by playing, by talking and asking.. by experiencing and figuring the game out. By not being limited by people like you BobbyKitty.

If the game wasn't ready it shouldn't have been released. Or call it all beta. Be honest. You don't have a game yet, you have a game you are trying to create. Then people won't be conned into thinking they are paying for something that is stable.
The game WAS ready. What you are so obviously upset over is that you can't accept that there is now change. Noone was conned, there was no switch and bait. People paid money in with the clear knowledge that things COULD and MIGHT change the second, hour or day after they paid for their gems.

You will see. EVERY change is ONLY about new players. Never about existing players. Don't worry, you'll get orc dunged on too. Just wait.

Perhaps I will, perhaps I won't. But if each change is JUST about new players then why bother releasing new chapters at all if, according to you, all they care about is new players and never about existing players?

It is sold a ready for primetime live game. It is not sold as a beta game. Yet, the only difference between the beta version and here are 2 weeks.
It IS ready for primetime. That is exactly why they have the beta so that new versions can be tested and most of the bugs worked out before hand. Nothing is perfect even when it goes primetime. Not in a game and not in the real world. It's why periodically there are recalls for this or that. No different here, only here there is the ability to fix things on the fly. If and when they are discovered and reported. No amount of testing discovers all the bugs. None.

And yet, here you are preaching highly inaccurate information over and over.
Exactly what 'highly inaccurate information' am I preaching BobbyKitty? Please, do enlighten.

I wonder who you are. You very first post, when you had been here maybe a week or so, you came in to the bug report section and were the authority on the brand new battle system. I find that truly bizarre.
You can keep right on wondering. I saw the post after I LEARNED about the system and read what was there and then gave advice. Novel approach I know. I was not and am not the authority. But apparently I had a bit more knowledge than you mr beta tester.. guess that is the difference.. that I go into something with my eyes open and with no pre-conceptions and you just can't seem to get over the half glass empty mentality.

DeletedUser4417

inacurate
Inaccurate how exactly? Might want to be a little more specific as I took what the player quoted..

2yocrpt.png

I see 27, what 48 do you mean?
Are you talking about the 48 KP needed to complete the tech?
On a second look, you are correct. I was tired when I looked at that the other night, so I retract what I wrote. Thanks and my apologies.

I'm not complaining about the help, but how it is administered and the skill level of the administer.

For your info the first official announcement of possible changes was Aug 30th
Skill level is right where it needs to be. Sugar coating is not in my skill set. Likely never will be.

That is fine, information noted.. went off what the OP stated. Noted.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
On a second look, you are correct. I was tired when I looked at that the other night, so I retract what I wrote. Thanks and my apologies.
No need to apologize to me, it was bobbykitty that you were extremely rude to. I mean come on
"*SIGH* Let's see if you can do math BobbyKitty?"

Just a tip, you can argue all you want with BK regarding opinions, but she IS an extremely experienced player, so I wouldn't push arguments about facts with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.