• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

One-line messages

Rocce Sqirl

One thing I find awkward is that message feature off on the right edge, when I want to type something it is all on one endless line. This makes it difficult to proofread and to correct typos when you can only see 29-30 characters of your message. Suggest make it an ever-expanding field that grows as you type (kinda like this field in the forums) so you can see your entire message in context before you "post."

DeletedUser12586

It's a good idea with a good reasoning for it. I myself always double check my writing so it's hard to do so in the chat window with, as you said, one single line. However, I think it would be a little tricky to implement as the overall feature may open up a can of worms when it comes to bugs. I enjoy the chat window being accessible regardless of what screen you're looking at (city, map or trader) but with a little text window continuously expanding or reducing it seems like it would cause a lot of server connectivity issues. Maybe instead of one free-moving text window they could simply increase the amount of lines we see while typing? Instead of one it could be two so at least we could see more of our text.

Rocce Sqirl

I'm not computer-literate enough to understand or realize what connectivity issues my text window idea would cause, but if that be the case then Erisdes' idea of just a larger window -- five to eight lines at least -- would do much to alleviate the problem.

DeletedUser

I'm not computer-literate enough to understand or realize what connectivity issues my text window idea would cause, but if that be the case then Erisdes' idea of just a larger window -- five to eight lines at least -- would do much to alleviate the problem.

Actually, a larger window may just add to the problems. Chat hasn't worked right since August/September of last year. Here's the bug thread.

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/16560-chat-box-not-working.13172/

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Unfortunately, they are, apparently, not using their own chat code, but an external program (which is why chat continues working even when the game is frozen or stuck at stream error. The changes would have to come from the third party, or they'd have to write their own chat code, and is probably why they haven't fixed a significant bug months after it was reported.

DeletedUser12586

That's really helpful to know. I always thought it curious and certainly appreciated how versatile the chat function is when switching screens from cities or maps and such. Inno certainly has their hands filled with balancing their other games, too; maybe down the road they'll be able to converse with the third party chat provider to expand on the original idea.