• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

30-Day Purge Is Inadequate!

DeletedUser

I'm sure others will agree when I say, inactive players (specifically early quitters) bog down many aspects of the game. The general lack and uneven distribution of trading partners negatively impacts nearly every aspect of city/territory development.

I did some digging through the rankings, and here is a rough result of what I found:
[Last updated 7/20/2015]*
  • Out of ~79k accounts, ~21.8k (27.5%) had a total score of... 0.
  • ~6500 (8.2%)had attained a score of 1 - 18 (a significant early plateau).
  • ~9900 (12.5%)had a score of 19 - 22 (the most concentrated grouping).
  • ~21.3k (26.7%) have actually reached the point of building their first resource-producing structure (at a score of ~150 or greater).
  • ~12.3k (15.5%) have reached a score of at least 500, roughly the point where players tend to build the Trader.
That's right, more than 1 in 4 players has not done anything at all, and nearly 1 in 5 have barely started. With only 1 in 6 players being even remotely qualified to trade with, the community as a whole suffers.

What I propose is a 2-tiered or 3-tiered purge policy: the 30-day rule works fine for players who are actually investing some measurable time in the development of their cities, but the first stages of the game can be completed so swiftly that it becomes reasonable to apply a much less lenient standard for abandonment.

Players should be given a start-up grace period of only 1 to 3 days to do something - anything at all - before having their account wiped. I challenge anyone to submit reasons other than disinterest and abandonment which would result in a player maintaining a score of 0 for greater than 72 hours after the initial log-in. Daily email reminders could be made standard when an account is created, to provide ample opportunity to the player to avoid having their data deleted. The final notification of removal should include a link to create a new game account. (Remember, we're talking about taking the 27% of accounts at 0 and purging them at least 10 times faster than the normal rate, which should result in vastly reducing their negative impact on active neighbors.)

After displaying at least a measurable interaction with the game, a second tier timer could be used to hasten the purging of stalled accounts. These are the ones that never make it past a score of about 22. This could be perhaps 7 to 14 days to ensure these players are at least striding along the learning curve of the game before relaxing the requirement to the general 30-day rule. With 20% of players actually starting their cities, yet never reaching a score of 25, it is no wonder the number of complaints that are written about sluggish or non-existent markets for resource trade.

In summation:
  • >1/4 of all player accounts have not actually been played at all, with a score of 0. Nearly all can be presumed abandoned. These should have a short timer of inactivity (1 to 3 days) prior to being marked for removal.
  • >1/5 of all player accounts have been played, but only nominally, with scores <25. Most can reasonably be assumed abandoned. These should have a medium timer of inactivity (7 to 14 days) prior to being marked for removal.
  • The remaining 51% of accounts have a score of 25 or more and should remain on the 30-day long timer for inactivity.
*It is worth noting that these proportions have gotten slowly worse since this thread was started.
Thank you for your consideration, now let's discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser175

My O My you have been busy and a hardy thank you, it sure would clean up the world map. Save us from wasting time trying to get a help crew working together..

I must say well done .. thumbs UP !

DeletedUser

UPDATE:
Total Accounts: 70,300
Scores=0: 19,400 (27%)
0<Score<25: 14,600 (21%)
499<Score*: 11,300 (16%)

*This is where Traders and Armories seem to be getting built, a good benchmark for level of involvement in the game.

Compare to the Beta server, where the first two groups account for only 10% and 9%, and 60% of accounts are scored at least 500.

Seriously, can something be done about the flood of DOA accounts?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser511

seems like they might not care. If they did they would take care of this before making another server.

DeletedUser

I think their goals might be inline with most pay to play games. Show a high number of users in order to get more people to join and hopefully spend money. Since I am only a week in, I might just join a new server and hope that I have a few active people around me. So far I am ranked around 4000 and the rest are between 15000 and 71000.

DeletedUser659

Out of the 36 surrounding players that I have encountered, only 4 of them have played since I've been on. I rank 1969. It is becoming boring not to interact with anyone. I may give this game 1 more week to see if they can come up with a method of swapping out none playing members.

DeletedUser

I might join you. Only by a max exedus will something be done.

DeletedUser511

Out of the 36 surrounding players that I have encountered, only 4 of them have played since I've been on. I rank 1969. It is becoming boring not to interact with anyone. I may give this game 1 more week to see if they can come up with a method of swapping out none playing members.

Well with them making a new world instead of killing the dead players and putting new ones in that tells me they wont be fixing it.

DeletedUser

Is there any date on the new world?

Probably be a good date to either start on the new world or quit the game completly.

DeletedUser511

They are voting on the name now so soon im sure. We need to fix the one we have before starting a new one but they dont get it.

DeletedUser

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another purge on Arendyl around the launch time of US2. Should help a bit. I just wish they would clear out inactives more frequently!

DeletedUser684

Hi! In addition to a regular purge, I put in a suggestion that would address this issue preemptively. Please comment on "New Player Sandbox" in suggestions if you think (as I do) that this would resolve most if not all of the inactivity/abandoned position issues. It would make the need for purges an occasional server maintenance function rather than a continually reoccurring and drastically necessary weeding of the map.