• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

An Interesting Case of Spire Catering

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
And now let me show you another "interesting case of Spire catering." It is, in fact, another approach I have developed in time so that I can deal with the Spire as successfully and quickly as I can.

It starts out like one of those encounters which you can't win. The outcome after the first round is a random combination of NOBODY WANTS IT and WRONG PERSON. Nothing correct.

Well, don't dispair. Take a look at the number of resources left to choose from. If there are only three types of resources to pick from, you still have a good chance to win this. Here's an example of how I approach this successfully:

Round 1:
View attachment 15925

Round 2:
View attachment 15926

Round 3:
View attachment 15927

It works in more than 50% of the situations.
This is a far more winnable situation than if you'd gotten five "wrongs" the first round. The math proves that.

Rythel

The only time it's good to have all five "wrong person" is when you have a bare minimum of 6 items from which to choose.
I agree with Darielle on this point. If there's only 5 resources to chose from getting all "Wrong Person" really doesn't tell you anything at all. Sure you've eliminated a single resource on each spirit, but I feel there are significantly better starting points for those smaller encounters. My luck must also be terrible with all "Wrong Person" as I rarely get it right. I do just shift one to the left, so maybe I should go the opposite way lol.

I do love it when I have 6+ resources as I've effectively eliminated 1 or more resource AND got to eliminated additional resources per spirit. I will play those rounds out, but have noticed that I still lose more frequently than if I had restarted and gotten more "Nobody Needs This". I also tend use the same breakpoints as Darielle, 2 "Wrong Person" for 6 resource encounters and 3 "Wrong Person" for 7+ resource encounters.

the more you try to avoid spending certain resources the more likely you are to face a seemingly hostile Spire.
This is so true! I've been short on Orcs recently and the past two weeks asked for Orcs in almost every single encounter. When I avoided guessing it when I was down to a 50/50 it tended to be orcs as well.

While catering my second Spire, I came across with my most common ALL WRONG PERSON experience. There are exactly 5 resources to pick from this time.

Round 1:
View attachment 15922

Round 2:
View attachment 15923

Round 3:
View attachment 15924

I really don't think it's just a matter of luck.

I'm going to give shifting one to the right a try. It's a long shot, but perhaps the games RNG has a flaw that's uncovered by this technique. Mathematically there is nothing special about shifting, so it's either a bug or luck.

Moho

Chef
The math proves that.
I am not sure about that. Math fails to explain every little aspect of our lives or else the weather were 100% predictable. It's not.

For instance, statistically speaking I am only a high school graduate.

Even in physics when you start measuring certain attributes, there may be other aspects of reality that become opaque and impossible to comprehend.

I finished catering the Spire in my first city in 35 minutes. I'm pretty sure that defies math too.

I don't really believe in luck. I don't even know a good definition for it.

In my book, there are actions and results. I always try to acquire the right skills to fulfill my goals. I've always been sad when people call me lucky and fail to see beyond what they call luck.

Think about the rock-paper-scissors championship. Do you think rock-paper-scissors champions rely on luck? Or on math?

No.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I am not sure about that. Math fails to explain every little aspect of our lives or else the weather were 100% predictable. It's not.

For instance, statistically speaking I am only a high school graduate.

Even in physics when you start measuring certain attributes, there may be other aspects of reality that become opaque and impossible to comprehend.

I finished catering the Spire in my first city in 35 minutes. I'm pretty sure that defies math too.

I don't really believe in luck. I don't even know a good definition for it.

In my book, there are actions and results. I always try to acquire the right skills to fulfill my goals. I've always been sad when people call me lucky and fail to see beyond what they call luck.

Think about the rock-paper-scissors championship. Do you think rock-paper-scissors champions rely on luck? Or on math?

No.
If you don't believe in luck or math, do you think it's pure intuition? Are some people more psychic than others? Or do you think other factors come into play? I remember when I was a kid, my sister and I used to think up numbers between 1 and 10 and startle our friends because we always picked the same numbers. Some people accused us of cheating, but we didn't. I think we just knew each other so well, so it wasn't really psychic powers but more an understanding of the other person. I'm just wondering what you think it is. I personally think you're lucky ... which is a good thing. I know if I'm on a 50/50 guess in the spire, I almost always lose, lol.

In any case, with math and statistics you can calculate odds. For five items, getting five "wrong person" will give you the lowest odds of winning a hand. You may beat those odds and have a different result, but on average, most people won't.

That's why I usually stick to the math. I cater at least half of the spire most weeks, and I always win at least double the diamonds I spend, so it works out. I've taught the same methods to my fellowship to improve their odds, and now we can get gold a lot more often than before.

But yours seems to work for you, so I say you're right to do what is best for you!

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
@Darielle , lol....

I think I am just really good at the spire! And whenever my head gets too big I run headfirst into an Evil Spire, my luck turns and I get smacked left and right, wrung out and dang near bankrupted! Proving that I am not any good at all!

It is gambling and I treat it as such!

Last edited:

TimeMachine

An important prerequisite when you cater the Spire, in my opinion, is to completely ignore what you are short of. In my experience, the more you try to avoid spending certain resources the more likely you are to face a seemingly hostile Spire.

When you don't let your judgement and/or intuition be influenced by anything I think you can enjoy this gaming experience at its best.
Although it might feel different from person to person, I am totally with you on this one because I've experienced exactly the same very often! ;)

Just a glimpse at suplies and coins storage and having goods a little balanced always seemed enough preparation to me.
If you don't know what is going to be short at next you don't even think of any crazy workarounds to try.
That's the way convincing in the spire is more relaxed. If you don't care what you are short of, it is easier possible to only concentrate on covincing.
Sometimes, If the spire wants to be polite and helpfull, it just asks for the goods you have in storage even if you had not checked before. :)

I never even tried to use the spire wizzard I am just like @Mrietha counting on logic, intution and my personal experiences I made over the last 3 years.

I think a thread for catering experiences and ideas and techniques would be great!
A thread like this one we are already writing in would be really nice! I would appreciate it very much and many players could be interested in a thread like this I guess.

Last edited:

TimeMachine

Here is another interesting case of spire negotiation:

1707070721954.png
:)

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
is that your standard opening with 5 choices ??
in that I mean tools/coins were last ? and you
used 1 of each.....
We all have our own ways of doing things, I would have gone From Left to right in this order:

coins
supplies
mana
marble
gems

But that is just how my brain works.

[MOD NOTE] Moved to active discussions