• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Another players opinion

DeletedUser3111

So, I'm not a very frequent poster. I started to be when I first started this game. Answered a few questions, made a few posts, made a thread for an event that was going on, lots of people seemed friendly, and the thread felt helpful. It was locked because it wasn't the official feedback thread. This was when I realized the forum moderation here is heavy handed, and it wasnt worth investing myself into a heavily moderated forum, I've been down that rode, and no fun lies that direction. I still poke around reading here somewhat regularly though Even so, I want to try to put out my opinion on something that may well drive me away from the game.

I play casually in two worlds. A friend suggested I try the game, and since they dont play a lot of games, I figured I'd give it a go. I made some elves and had fun with the game for a day or two but couldnt figure out how to get in contact with the person, eventually figuring out they were on a different world, so now I run two worlds, one elves, and one humans. I am near the end of Act 4 with both accounts.

As I near the end of the act, that chest has been hanging over me at around 55/70. Battles are kind of a love/hate thing for me. I enjoyed the mechanics of battles, and have been able to do quite well, losing on average half a stack to an average battle. A good matchup (trees vs orcs or something) may see me with no losses, or a bad one (terrible terrain against cannoneers for example) may see me with 2 dead stacks. If I did autofight, it roughly doubled my losses (I therefore didnt like autofight). My main problem was time spent, battles were slow, and I have lots of other games I like to spend time on. But really, nothing to complain about other than my own laziness.

So, I hear there is a new battle system, and the feedback was pretty negative from beta. But there is this idea that it was due to people having pushed much further out than expected at the time, so I thought I would be relatively safe.

Now, first I want to say that I can still win battles. But my losses have doubled or more. I lose a stack or two even on reasonably favorable matchups. Overall there are a lot more enemies on the field than there were before, and with the new priority system, there really isn't such a thing as a great matchup anymore. Time remains as long or longer to fight. I haven't tried auto yet, as I am worried it will just lose.

The thing is, this too would be ok. I can still do my 70 provinces and move forward anyhow. But overall squad size has increased dramatically. My max size is about double what it was before. But my training time hasn't doubled, I wish I had written down the earlier numbers, but I am not sure it increased at all, so effectively, it takes me twice as long to train a stack, and I don't see that getting better with more research. So replacing 2 stacks per fight instead of half a stack, at half speed effectively, means like 8 times as long. Which translates to a lot slower progress, and a lot more hammers spent.

So, the short version is, I'm exactly the target audience for this change, not a brand new player, not an end game player, well below my expected province count, with all the techs expected to be fighting at exactly this level. And it feels bad to fight. I want to do it less and less, and I am not convinced I will bother to continue to the next chapter. There are a lot of other free city building games out there, I just need to convince my friend to move too, but she also doesn't like the combats much.

LuvizBlind

This is the same boat I am in essentially, and I agree with much of your post. With the squad size increases and lower costs I thought hey, this isn't so bad... Until I realized that it now seemingly takes longer to fill those stacks; so at the moment I'm ~still~ trying to build my units back up to what ~was~ my normal amounts of 10-15 squads per unit type.

I spent a great deal of time painfully learning the ~old system~ so that I could battle better without too much loss. This process was a horrible one for me, the battles are very, very slow and I had a lot to learn. I actually got to be a decent fighter, and I also have a lot of goods, so I liked where I was... I could fight and win with some losses I could handle, I could cater if I lacked time or just didn't feel like fighting; I could even use auto-battle if I selected the right troops and even though the losses were greater, it didn't disrupt my game play or flow.

Even though I haven't built my troops back up to their former #'s, I did take the time to try some battles. Ouch is all I can say at this time. I am ~not~ looking forward to having to learn the new battle system; I'm dreading it actually. Yes, I have the charts, and have read up on it all. But it is ~still~ going to be a long mind numbing process regardless - one I ~had~ to do once already to play this city building game? But I digress...

I am still in PAFO mode. I am not quitting. I am not running around screaming that the sky is falling. But I am quite discouraged with what I've seen so far. I do have hope that some things will get tweaked, and that the release of the next 2 parts to this new system will somehow make it all make sense. That's a pretty tall order I know, but in the meantime I'm still marking time trying to regain my troop #'s so I can even start trying to re-learn the battle system.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3111

did a little more combat after getting the final +sqad size in the tree, right before the last research, and the losses felt a little lighter. But I shouldnt need to wait till the end of the tree to start clearing the provinces, I'm going to cap my research as it is.

The rate of training still feels slow, though it appears that it trains faster, just not larger numbers, so if I could log in more often it might make up for it, but thats mostly useless to me, and I imagine a lot of players.

Overall it still feels like a pretty big nerf. And I am really feeling the lack of a heavy range unit for my humans with the changes. The dog is essentially useless now.

DeletedUser4372

must be nice to even be able to battle, they literally took the last two troop upgrades from under lvl 3 players. just now getting back to that spot and I actually drove out another circle, (level) on the mobs with negotiating. I look to do battle and usually see my troop size to be 36 and the PVE mobs to be around 100.. i can look way down the tree and see where i need to be. I am half way through troop upgrade 4. after this i have Pallies and the dogs upgrades, troop size 5 and 6 upgrades and the axeman upgrades. i should be able to do battles then. without wiping, if i quit doing negotiations.. unless someone has a great tip to get over this ?

DeletedUser3111

how many provinces are you compared to what you need for the chest at the end of your current act?

It feels like they balanced combat so you really cant start early in the act at all, which seems dumb. I am pretty worried as I get closer to my 70 and need to go out a ring or two, if I will be able to win. I currently have 200ish on my side vs 150ish on the enemy side, so have to play the troop types very accurately (which is why the lack of heavy range on human side hurts so much).