• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are fellowship adventures too long?

The Adventure was...

• Total voters
I participated pretty seriously in the first FA in 2 different worlds. One fellowship was competing for one of the top 3 spots, the other fellowship was fairly casual and mostly just trying to get all 3 chests. However, in both cases, we found the fellowship adventure to be about 1-2 days too long.

In the competitive fellowship, we finished every single point on all 3 stages but then had to grind for a full 2 days in the Bottomless Pit to try and maintain our top 3 rank. It was very tiring and tedious. It would have been much better if the event was 1-2 days shorter because everyone started getting burned out by the end and the adventure was losing it's fun factor with the longer we spent in the Pit.

In the more casual fellowship, we worked really well as a team to complete all 3 stages, taking the fastest route possible. Even still, we finished the 3rd stage and still had almost a full 2 days left over to casually work on the Pit, but we lost a lot of participation as we worked through the Pit.

How about you: Did you spend days getting burned out in the Pit or run out of time and not finish stage 3?

Pheryll

Set Designer
My fellowship averaged about 50% participation. We did not complete the third map, but had a score high enough to get us close to the top 100 due to our meanderings. I wouldn't mind if FA were a month long, allowing us slower folk to get there at a nice leisurely pace, while the hyper active guilds can compete for a long time in the low reward pit just to ensure that they will get one of the top three prizes. This event is so much more fun from the spectator's side.

My fellowship averaged about 50% participation. We did not complete the third map, but had a score high enough to get us close to the top 100 due to our meanderings. I wouldn't mind if FA were a month long, allowing us slower folk to get there at a nice leisurely pace, while the hyper active guilds can compete for a long time in the low reward pit just to ensure that they will get one of the top three prizes. This event is so much more fun from the spectator's side.

I would only be okay with a month long event if there was no fellowship ranking aspect. In fact, I would welcome it. They could even make a story out of the adventures such as an evil race of Trolls is invading and we have to work together as a fellowship to beat them. No time limit, just something fun to do. "The troll army is amassing a huge army to invade, you must match their strength. Fellowship must donate 1000 light melee and 1000 light ranged to beat them."

In it's current format, absolutely no way on 1 month long and we would end up quitting the game after 3 straight weeks of working on the Pit.

edeba

It needs to be easier to address the issue of fellowships that didn't have enough time. Make it at least 1/3rd less difficult to get through. It needs to be shorter. It is total burn out for competing fellowships. I'd say 3 days is long enough.

And that first one was more than 6 days...

DeletedUser9601

I haven't done it yet on my FS; but one thing that struck me about The Pit. Rather structuring The Pit as "most points earned until the end," it seems like it would be much better received by competitive players if it was "first FS to hit X points." That way, there's still the competitive rush, but its a defined contribution. Then ranking points are distributed based on order of reaching the goal.

DeletedUser10859

Or just even finish the three levels and be done with it. Forget the pit all together - did it add much? It seems like if it ended at the end of the third map it could solve a lot of the issues. If the quests disappear when the fellowship opens the third chest, those who were able to finish quickly could be done with it, and fellowships who are going at a slower pace could still have the time they need. There could even be ranking points for the first fellowships that finished which would meet the needs of those who wish to incorporate a bit of competition.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I agree that the pit was not needed. But without it you haven't a mechanism by which you can distinguish those fellowships that finish all the waypoints from each other. Perhaps the top 3 should only be awarded to those who actually finish all the waypoints in all three stages, and awarded according to when they finish. After that the requirement that you finish all the waypoints would be dropped AND the rankings would be based upon point totals as it is now. Any ties at the end should all get whatever the higher reward. So if there are two at 50 and 51 ranking with the same points, they both get the rewards of level 50, OR you could again determine their rank based upon which got the point total at which they are tied, first.

But drop the pit...unless it brought in a lot of revenue? Maybe that's the point? The scramble to spend money to maintain your place may have something to do with it being there, but I don't know.

The second thing I would say is give more notice. It would be nice to have an announcement at least a week in advance so that we can actually take a good look at things and plan better. The second FA came so suddenly that the 48 hour notice I received meant I wasn't going to see or hear from some of my fellowship mates before it started. Don't like to commit to such a competition if I find out after starting that some players would like to sit it out this time.

Third, make them farther apart. Maybe I'm just too old and lack the sprightly spring of a saucy sister, or maybe said sister too feels she has barely recovered from the first FA. I think once a month is the most I'd like to do this, and given all the other opportunities for competition is it really needed every two weeks?

So those are my thoughts on this.

DeletedUser7978

I think the prizes absolutely were not worth the effort. Both my fellowships are considering not participating because it is just not worth it.

DeletedUser7978

in both my fss we finished up to the pit but did not have time to go there. But again, it's not worth the effort.

DeletedUser11779

It took our FS a bit to figure out the strategy, but then we did OK - some of us could run the short productions, while others did the long ones - I thought it was kinda fun, especially since we get to keep what we produce, not like Herds - don't think I will play Herds again... :)

DeletedUser3468

Most of my Fellowships are gearing up to do it again in spite of all agreeing that it's really too soon for another round of this, especially if they haven't fixed the quest cycling problems. 4 of the 5 are going to participate, the 5th is leaning towards just concentrating on the Tournament instead since it doesn't require building extra workshops or non boosted factories. All agree that the prizes need to be better.

If they don't come up with a better way to handle the quest cycling and don't award prizes that are actually worth the amount of effort, time, and work that goes into these Fellowship Adventures, I am quite certain that if things are still the same the 3rd time around, even more Fellowships will chose not to participate. That's actually a sad thing because when your Fellowship works well together, communicates effectively, and has a good plan for the competition, it is a lot of fun.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The poll answer I was looking for was
"Just right, we completed all 3 stages, with some time to spare"
The pit and ranking system is not something I or my FS enjoyed, so having 1 day or 3 days there makes no difference.

DeletedUser1791

Way too long... they could shave off 2-3 days. I can tell you from experience, 3 days in the pit is excruciating when you are grinding it out for prizes with other competing FS.

DeletedUser7738

Might I ask what is wrong with creating an event that is specifically for the players? that is fun, challenging without so much repetition, gives rewards that match the effort put into it and still has room for over-achievers and brown-nosers? Well, the current FA event as it has been presented is NOT that event!

Thistleknot

In the first FA, we finished all three stars with a little over a day to spare. We did manage to complete a few quests in the Bottomless Pit. We are gearing up for the second FA and I am curious to see how we do since we have a better understanding of what is expected.

I will say that they should spread the FAs out a bit more. And a bit more advanced notice would be nice as well.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'd prefer no advance notice at all, so that people who want to completely rebuild their city for the event can't stock up on productions for 20 or 30 badges before the event starts.