• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Are Tooltips blocking your view during a move?

• Thread starter DeletedUser1094
  • Start date

DeletedUser1094

Who ever thought of placing that Resident dialog box to pop up when you are building and rearranging your area is nuts wasn't a smart move. You could have moved it to pop up somewhere up top and not in the middle of the screen when you can't see through it gee, really.

Deleted User - 107391

Ran into that just now myself. Really? Do you actually *play* the game?

DeletedUser594

"Use streets to connect..." no kidding, now can you move the box so I can see the street? That box will be helpful roughly until you finish the tutorial and if you haven't gotten it by then you probably won't. At the very least get it off to the side somewhere not blocking the very area you are trying to re-arrange.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser68

connect.jpg
ResidencePopup.jpg

Are you seeing the same thing I'm seeing? You don't even get the popup until AFTER you've mucked up the placement.

On my screen the Residence popups are adjacent to my mouseover. Where else should they be??

DeletedUser594

You're picking up coin, not trying to place a building in a fitted slot. I would suggest the pop up for street connection be moved anywhere it's not in the line of sight of the very road the pop up is telling me I need a connection with. This pop up may help very new players but should stop appearing by chaper II . Surely this becomes obvious by then. At the very least it should be moved off to the side and avoid the area of focus when trying to redesign.
streetconnect.jpg

DeletedUser68

Your destination roadway could be in any of four direction. How would the program be able to guess which direction to dodge?? The popup has GOT to be somewhere near the cursor, and therefore near the building. I'd get totally lost if the tooltip wasn't attached to my cursor.

To the point, the tooltip is telling you WHY your Residence won't work. When you were actually PLACING the residence there was no tooltip to block your view, and the tooltip will go away when you actually REENTER move mode by clicking on the compass thingy.

If you want to get really tricky, later on when you're shifting buildings around, the anchor point for a building is ALWAYS in the topmost corner. If the building has room to expand WITHOUT moving the topmost corner, it will do so without asking you to Move and Upgrade.
Jump.jpg

You can also save some dragging by clicking WHERE you want the topmost corner to move to, so long as it's within the current footprint of the building, and you won't have to drag your mouse at all, just click click in the right spot. It's sort of cool to practice that technique on a 1x3 decoration.

DeletedUser594

popup1.jpg
popup2.jpg
SingYour destination roadway could be in any of four direction. How would the program be able to guess which direction to dodge??The popup has GOT to be somewhere near the cursor, and therefore near the building. I'd get totally lost if the tooltip wasn't attached to my cursor.
To the point, the tooltip is basically telling you WHY your Residence won't work. When you're actually PLACING a residence there's no tooltip to block your view, and the tooltip will go away when you actually ENTER move mode again, by clicking on the compass thingy..View attachment 224

Here is me picking up a residence for a simple move across to an open slot on a connected road, followed by a photo of this pop up hindering my line of sight. In this case it's not difficult to manage without actually seeing but you could imagine what it's like when working in tight conditions. I play pretty darn regularly, I use the anchor corner trick, I re-align with a single click in the direction I want the building to jump, I've spent three years re-arranging cities on Forge of Empires and 4 months here. I try to be fair in my criticisms and I understand this game is still very new and will have growing pains. I'm not talking about some of the tooltips, which may be helpful. I'm saying a big opaque window in my line of sight does not help me to reconnect to a road.
The pop up window is a hinderance as it currently functions

DeletedUser594

Just to complete the series-
Here is the building showing a green ready to place footprint after having been moved across to an acceptable position with the pop up still very much in my way. Yes, the program cannot guess which direction I am to go, so the window should be placed off to the side or disappear once I've grabbed the building. I would prefer being able to see over having perhaps the most inane and ironic bit of advice I've encountered.
popup3.jpg

Valtitude

I've wrestled with the no street connections box this afternoon. The game is behaving bizarrely in general today - buildings won't move because a piece of a road is in the way - but the road piece is invisible, even after I refresh. The piece of road became visible with the second refresh, however. The big no connection box is fine if it appears and goes away quickly. It has stayed on the screen too long this afternoon - I'll guess 20 to 30 seconds or longer. I know I'm missing a street connection, thanks for the reminder, but I can't see around the reminder! This may be caused by whatever is slowing the game down this afternoon.

I'm clearing Flashplayer every 20 minutes, clearing browser history (Firefox) at least once per hour. Even rebooting the computer. Nothing is helping. Other players in our fellowship are reporting the same game slowness.

Running fully upgraded Win7 with AVG utilities manager - which is reporting Flashplayer is taking up 100% of one CPU at times! This weird Flashplayer behavior started yesterday - Sat Nov 7th. The game is all that's running. Just checked Task Manager - Flashplayer 19.0.0.226.exe *32 (updated last week) - is at 1,166,356K. I cleared Flash before I came over here to the forums.

It's affecting the Messages and Chat in my city - printing one letter at a time, 10 characters or more behind my keyboard ... aargh!! Thought maybe I'd picked up a keylogger, but have checked everywhere known to Malwarebytes, AVG and Norton. I've done Win7 reboots to SafeMode ... you name it. I can't find a keylogger.

Now, where to post all of this? Will here do for now, Missanthropy?

I have antivirus sw compartmentalized. Norton AV, AVG utilities and Malwarebytes for malware and smaller mal-bits, not viruses, Trojans etc. The programs run together and do not interfere with one another, verified by the developers of these programs.

DeletedUser594

Just to note* this has been happening with my cities and I do not have any new or unusual problems with connection or game play in general today as Valtitude has encountered. This pop up has been doing exactly what my earlier post shows.

DeletedUser68

DoneBar.jpg

Once I'm in move mode, as indicated by the DONE bar down at the bottom, I NEVER get any tooltips, and if I click on the bar before something latches into place, the move is cancelled.

I'm running Chrome with Hardware Acceleration enabled, so that might make a difference, but it may also be that other configurations behave differently.

We've also been getting some reports, in Beta, that Tooltips were obscuring the quest popups, and I've seen that a couple of times myself. I had to drag the city out from under the quest boxes to avoid the unwanted tooltips, because the mouse clicks were bleeding through. These move tooltips sound suspiciously similar.
Bleedthough.jpg

For the moment I've provided a more intriguing thread title, and if we can run something down we can start posting bug reports with the details of the improperly functioning configurations.

DeletedUser594

To reproduce the building must be disconnected prior to pick up. I'm on google chrome and find with hardware acceleration on or off* I get the same result. Pickup a disconnected building and the window pops up and stays where is is until the after the building is fully placed. I'm finding the pop-up does not change relative position on screen after dragging city one way or the other underneath the pop up.
* I generally play with acceleration off to avoid lagging when playing on my laptop.
I haven't noticed whether or not this occurs on other computers but will try from a different location tomorrow.

DeletedUser594

popup4.jpg
The last photo in the series was in move mode but here's another showing the building having been picked up from a dis-connected spot and moved to an open spot of appropriate size. The arrow indicates pick up spot at start with the pointer showing destination. The DONE bar is still open as it was during the act of moving. For some reason my 4 way arrow moving cursor dissapears when I try to screenshot something but would be attached to the building if visible

DeletedUser68

It sure sounds like there's still some candy in the bag. I'll pay close attention when I'm cruising around in the Beta forums, and I'll link in our observations if rattling the bag doesn't do the job.

If somebody can come up with a snapshot of a tooltip that's right next to the DONE bar, that would be a wonderful indication that the overlays are not working as intended.

DeletedUser594

It sure sounds like there's still some candy in the bag. I'll pay close attention when I'm cruising around in the Beta forums, and I'll link in our observations if rattling the bag doesn't do the job.

If somebody can come up with a snapshot of a tooltip that's right next to the DONE bar, that would be a wonderful indication that the overlays are not working as intended.
Here's partially obscured.
I can get a pic with the box next to or fully blocking if it helps.

popup5.jpg

DeletedUser68

NICE!!! varron, could you post a bug report, with the relevant details about your system configuration? I think I'll leave this thread here in the discussion forum, but do please include your snapshot in the bug report, and link this thread so that our bug fixers can get the additional background if they need it.

DeletedUser594

Will do- guess we were in the wrong thread here and should've suspected a bug. Thanks.