• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Attacking position vs movement

DeletedUser15765

I am interested in information or a web page that can tell me when attacking an opponent, if attacking position (front, side, or back) matters. If it does does the amount of movement come in to play also. Thank You. Mark

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Position only matters if the enemy has strike-back (and that's actually range, not position, unless you have a ranged attack and they don't, in which case putting an obstruction between you is useful). The distance you have moved before your attack does not have any effect on the attack.

DeletedUser15795

I use position to set myself up to get to other units that I need to destroy first, so I pass to the side or behind the first unit, hit them and move on to the more troublesome unit. The unit you pass generally follows or stays close enough to be hit by other units you move into position.

DeletedUser20171

Thanks guys. Seems to strange that it doesn't.
FWIW, if you watch the combat animation, the enemy under attack turns to face the attacker at the start of the attack. That provides a rationalization for no advantage from flanking.
On the other hand, like a game of pool, where your unit is at the start of the attack may put them is a better or worse position for the next round of defense and attack.
The AI both for auto-completion (not full auto fight, since you can watch it) and for move suggestion (when you just specify the target instead of moving your unit first) seems to favor overly complicated approaches to the target, which can actually get in the way of other subsequent troop moves.

DeletedUser9601

FWIW, if you watch the combat animation, the enemy under attack turns to face the attacker at the start of the attack. That provides a rationalization for no advantage from flanking.
On the other hand, like a game of pool, where your unit is at the start of the attack may put them is a better or worse position for the next round of defense and attack.
The AI both for auto-completion (not full auto fight, since you can watch it) and for move suggestion (when you just specify the target instead of moving your unit first) seems to favor overly complicated approaches to the target, which can actually get in the way of other subsequent troop moves.
To piggyback on this, its better that there's not a flanking bonus. First, the AI (both ours and theirs) is bad, so a flanking bonus would only exacerbate that issue. Second, most "hard" fights (i.e., fights where you see the most attrition), the enemy has more troops than you (and a wide variety of troops). I'd think a flanking bonus in these instances would aid the enemy more than the human player. Third, there's already functionally a "focus-fire" benefit, because damage output is tied to health, and debuffs don't stack. So you're already better off if you focus-fire an enemy (which the AI isn't always smart enough to do).