• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Balancing Act

DeletedUser4522

I am a fairly new player, and was learning this game, and was enjoying doing that. I really liked this game, as I have played other games on Facebook, which required so much help from others, and had so many tasks/quests, that it really started feeling like a high stress full time job for which I wasn't being paid, lol! So, literally, I have not "gamed" for several years because of this. What I have enjoyed about this, was being able to actually play, in my own time, without being so dependent on OTHERS, and not having to post a gazillion requests for help on my FB feed.

Playing Elvenar has always BEEN a "balancing act". One needs more goods, and more population, and more coin, and more culture, etc. etc. etc., and therefore the space (expansions) to do all this in, in terms of upgrading to larger sized residences, workshops, factories, for example. So it all starts out trying to balance all these things (and more), and it's been really great being able to play, and start figuring these things out. There have always been natural "slow down" points within the game itself while waiting to produce goods, coin, troops, KP, etc. in order to progress. Not being a naturally patient person, I DID finally pull out my wallet and buy diamonds, in order to buy some expansions, given where I wanted to go in this game. Personally, I have been using a strategy of negotiating, fighting and $$ to get my expansions so I could spend less time "waiting" and more time playing....

In defense of the devs - not a bit of this is free! They have to pay for the websites, all the traffic these sites generate, they have to earn a living, and probably a lot more overhead expenses that you and I would never even think of. So I don't think that contributing even as small of an amount as $10 every once in a while is really a stretch for most people. And I really didn't mind contributing - because I was enjoying this game, and I would think nothing of going out and spending that same money on a few drinks, or whatnot, if I was enjoying that! The devs have their OWN balancing act - that between encouraging people to play and spend money, between keeping the older players happy and challenged and enticing new players, between pulling in a few bucks from a percentage of players and offering the game for free, among many other balancing acts, I'm sure.

Now, having said all that, currently I am not enjoying this game! I can't PLAY this game! 99% of my time now involves watching the clock count down so I can slowly collect stuff. And, at this point, I would NOT pull out my wallet and spend any more $ on this game. Having previously confessed to not being a patient person, I am trying to stick this out awhile, to see where this goes, and whether or not it gets any more playable and enjoyable.

At this point, for example, I can't even build the AW's that I opened up awhile back, because I can't clear the provinces to either get the runes to be ABLE to build them, and I can't clear the provinces to get the expansions to have the ROOM to build them. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! SMH!

There is a very obvious handful of older players who are defending the changes, and saying how great they are and how great they have it now. We are being told to play how the devs WANT us to play, instead of how WE want to play. We are being told that there are 2 more rollouts, and to wait and be patient (not MY strong point, lol). But we don't know WHEN these other rollouts are coming - weeks? months? - or even if they'll make things better and more playable, or worse than they are now.

Worse yet, is that these handful of players (claiming to represent a whole lot of OTHER players who simply won't come on the forum) are engaging in, what BobbyKitty on other threads has so rightly called, "player-shaming". Calling people whiners and other names. I'm sure some will show up here. But they really ought to be ashamed of themselves for what they are doing. And I'm real sure that their attitudes have caused some people to quit this game sooner than they would have while trying to stick out these changes.

On the other hand, there is WAY more than a handful of us scratching our heads, trying to figure out how what has been explained to us as a "simple move" of squad size upgrades (for example), has caused us to actually LOSE 45% of our squad sizes. Yes! Read that again! We have LOST a full 45% of our squads! This is NOT a simple move that we simply have to go back and "research" before being able to move on - this is a LOSS of something we ALREADY DID!!

While this handful of people who are supporting the changes are claiming that they are representing a LOT of people who are not "on" the forum, they are also failing to acknowledge that those of us who are now not able to play, are ALSO representing a LOT of people who are not "on" the forum. Furthermore, they are also failing to acknowledge that MORE people are simply quitting, without saying a word!, than are getting on the forum to advise the devs how negatively the changes have effected people in hopes of a fairer outcome.

Before I get accused of having not read the forums and being aware that these changes were coming - let me state that I HAVE been reading the forums, and using Mykan's playing guide (I've closed THAT tab!!!), etc. The observations on the upcoming changes were a warning (and I should have kept my $ in my wallet until I saw what they were!), but they were fairly meaningless to a newer player getting their feet wet, and not experiencing the "Orc" thing, for example, or any troops other than sword dancers and archers, as another example. (I had JUST finally gotten my treants right before the change, and the one time I DID try to use them, before the change, I believe, they were pretty ineffective anyway!) It was hard to figure out what was going to change, having not totally figured out yet what the CURRENT strategy is/was. Furthermore, people need to recognize that the vast majority of players don't even LOOK at the forum. They start playing, try to figure out the game, do so and keep playing, or don't figure it out, get bored and quit.

Getting back to the "balancing act" the devs have to keep playing... I would suggest that their efforts should be expended in adding more chapters to the game, to keep the older players happy and challenged, and NOT making changes that make it impossible for the "newer" players to even play this game!

Now, I probably have a lot more to say, that I can't even think of at the moment, but I will simply go start catching up on my housework. My housework which HAS "suffered" to an extent, BECAUSE I was having so much fun playing this, I was timing everything in short intervals so I could come back and collect goods from my workshops every 5 or 15 min., lol. So.... Happy housecleaning to me!

DeletedUser4522

Well stated

Thanks, WolfSinger! I feel like much of this needs to be said. And more. But most people are too frustrated to explain their feelings and their reality very well!

Edit to add: Or they don't want to be attacked, as is so often happening....

DeletedUser3297

The techs that you had to go back and research were not things that you previously completed. They were moved from the next chapter to behind you. With the re-balancing the squad size upgrades seem minimal at first now, but grow exponentially. Under the old system, each squad upgrade would give you an additional 12 per squad. Under the new squad upgrades (from Mykans guide): "Your initial squad size is 6 and increases with every new squad size technology. The increase is 3 times the squad size technology. So if you have researched squad size 1 and 3 your squad size would be 6 + (1 x 3) + (3 x 3) = 18. Researching new military technology is very important to be competitive in provinces" Maybe you should re-open the Mykan tab again, it will help you to further your progress.

Hope this helps! :)

DeletedUser4522

The techs that you had to go back and research were not things that you previously completed. They were moved from the next chapter to behind you. With the re-balancing the squad size upgrades seem minimal at first now, but grow exponentially. Under the old system, each squad upgrade would give you an additional 12 per squad. Under the new squad upgrades (from Mykans guide): "Your initial squad size is 6 and increases with every new squad size technology. The increase is 3 times the squad size technology. So if you have researched squad size 1 and 3 your squad size would be 6 + (1 x 3) + (3 x 3) = 18. Researching new military technology is very important to be competitive in provinces" Maybe you should re-open the Mykan tab again, it will help you to further your progress.

Hope this helps! :)

Well, there you go again... Just because it's not YOUR reality, doesn't mean it's not someone else's reality!

DeletedUser3297

Yes, our gameplays may be different, but the facts I stated above remain the same.
I had to go back and fill in all the research that was moved behind me and one of my cities suffered from the decrease of the early squad upgrades. But I have overcome that and the game is still very much playable :)

DeletedUser2963

Worse yet, is that these handful of players (claiming to represent a whole lot of OTHER players who simply won't come on the forum) are engaging in, what BobbyKitty on other threads has so rightly called, "player-shaming". Calling people whiners and other names. I'm sure some will show up here. But they really ought to be ashamed of themselves for what they are doing.
Oh yeah, we are here. Would you care for a mirror? I am so over people tossing this out just to shut other players up! I have not called anyone a name. Just because I agree with the devs and like the new battle system does not mean I am "player shaming". You have made it really clear from your post that you don't care even a little bit about anything anyone else has to say, unless of course they are here to pat you on the head and agree with you. So fine great job, you shut me up! Look in a mirror!

DeletedUser43

Gwen,
Very well stated. The only thing I disagree with is where you say that a handful of older members are defending the changes. lol I suppose it is all relative. I have been here since day one, and ALL the older players I know are furious, and many of them just walked out the door. What you call "older" players, I call newbies. Giggles. I don't know where this group of player shamers came from, but they exploded with this new update. Anyone who dares to tell their truth...that their game just got a lot worse....gets blasted.

You get called all sorts of names and shamed and attacked for saying.....yesterday I had more fun on this game than I am having today. You get told told to enjoy the way the game sucks now. You get told you are an idiot for not liking the new changes. It is bizarre.

The devs have said clearly that players were "getting too far ahead" so they had to stop them. Whatever. All that means to a player is that they have stopped us from playing a video game we liked playing. Congrats? You win devs? yay? Well...people are going to find a video game that they can enjoy playing again.

Now, you can shame players, you can call them all kinds of names, you can condescend to them all day long, but guess what? We don't HAVE to be here. If we aren't having fun, we WON'T be here. You can't bash people over the head to change their minds.
Do you hear me Inno? You can start whatever nonsense campaign you want to try to get people to buy into this garbage that they have somehow played the game wrong and now must be better little gamers, but, we don't care. We either will have fun or we won't. If you don't start providing some fun around here, we are out the door.

PS....to anyone who is enjoying the new changes. Ok. Cool. Shoulder shrug. Why would anyone want to stop you from enjoying something? That is just weird. I'm happy you are happy.

But I have overcome that and the game is still very much playable

It is still very much playable FOR YOU. It is the blanket statement that I object to. I am glad that the game is great FOR YOU. It is most definitely NOT very much playable for others.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4522

Oh yeah, we are here. Would you care for a mirror? I am so over people tossing this out just to shut other players up! I have not called anyone a name. Just because I agree with the devs and like the new battle system does not mean I am "player shaming". You have made it really clear from your post that you don't care even a little bit about anything anyone else has to say, unless of course they are here to pat you on the head and agree with you. So fine great job, you shut me up! Look in a mirror!

I have not named anybody at all. I don't know if I've ever even seen you post!! Are you including yourself in the "handful of players" described?? I would have to guess that you are suffering some sort of guilt complex about what was said. The mirror is not aimed at me, as I have not called anyone here any names at all. But you, on the other hand appear super concerned about that observation.

DeletedUser3297

It is still very much playable FOR YOU. It is the blanket statement that I object to. I am glad that the game is great FOR YOU. It is most definitely NOT very much playable for others.

I am sorry that the game is no longer playable for you and many others, hopefully with the future updates, they will fix this for all players who have hit a brick wall.

DeletedUser4522

Gwen,
Very well stated. The only thing I disagree with is where you say that a handful of older members are defending the changes. lol I suppose it is all relative. I have been here since day one, and ALL the older players I know are furious, and many of them just walked out the door. What you call "older" players, I call newbies. Giggles. I don't know where this group of player shamers came from, but they exploded with this new update. Anyone who dares to tell their truth...that their game just got a lot worse....gets blasted.

You get called all sorts of names and shamed and attacked for saying.....yesterday I had more fun on this game than I am having today. You get told told to enjoy the way the game sucks now. You get told you are an idiot for not liking the new changes. It is bizarre.

The devs have said clearly that players were "getting too far ahead" so they had to stop them. Whatever. All that means to a player is that they have stopped us from playing a video game we liked playing. Congrats? You win devs? yay? Well...people are going to find a video game that they can enjoy playing again.

Now, you can shame players, you can call them all kinds of names, you can condescend to them all day long, but guess what? We don't HAVE to be here. If we aren't having fun, we WON'T be here. You can't bash people over the head to change their minds.
Do you hear me Inno? You can start whatever nonsense campaign you want to try to get people to buy into this garbage that they have somehow played the game wrong and now must be better little gamers, but, we don't care. We either will have fun or we won't. If you don't start providing some fun around here, we are out the door.

PS....to anyone who is enjoying the new changes. Ok. Cool. Shoulder shrug. Why would anyone want to stop you from enjoying something? That is just weird. I'm happy you are happy.

I agree, BobbyKitty. By "older" players, I am referring to those in the much later chapters of the games - I was at the end of Chapter 2, and got delayed going into Chapter 3 by the whole thing.

Haha, yes! As you can see, someone is trying to blast ME for stating the truth! I don't even KNOW this poster!

I think it's amusing, that many appear to be implying that we are all being untruthful by arguing that all that happened was that techs we had not already researched were moved. If that were actually the case, then we would NOT have lost almost 1/2 our squad size. We would simply have the chance to increase the squad size we ALREADY HAVE with this "movement".

For people who have no clue, to keep stating this is nothing but foolishness. I guess we are all just a bunch of "whiners" to DARE come to a forum, where we are supposed to be able to give feedback, and actually GIVE the feedback!

I would highly recommend that my original post be read again, s l o w l y....

I can't MAKE someone understand, who chooses not to, but it really does appear as if some people are just trying to twist things. I stand by every statement in my post!

DeletedUser3297

I am not trying to call anyone a liar, I am just trying to help them understand what happened. Squad size upgrades were moved further back giving you quicker and much needed access to them. The old squad size would increase by 12 with each unlocked tech. That means if you had the old squadsize upgrade 3 you would get 36 extra troops, plus your original 6 which would give you 42. Now, if you have researched squad size 1, 2 and 3 your squad size would be 6 + (1 x 3) + (2x3) + (3 x 3) = 24

Now your squadsizes will grow exponentially, which they need to so you can still fight in the provinces.

All your techs that you unlocked are still unlocked. But you can't move any further in the research until you unlock the added techs that were placed in the chapter.

Since you don't beleve me that you got access to new techs and "they stole your troops" Here is an example of how the squad upgrades have moved around. This is what chapter 3 used to look like:

aIuF96S.png

Now it looks like this:

NOphcRE.png

Squad upgrades 5, 6, and 7 were in the chapter, but 5 and 6 were moved back to chapter 2 while squad upgrades 8 and 9 were moved into the chapter. Same thing happened to chapter 4 as well.

DeletedUser2963

Haha, yes! As you can see, someone is trying to blast ME for stating the truth! I don't even KNOW this poster!

I am not blasting you for stating the truth, I am blasting you for your hypocrisy.

Worse yet, is that these handful of players are engaging in, what BobbyKitty on other threads has so rightly called, "player-shaming".

So rightly called?
Bobbykitty accused a lot of players of "player-shaming" for agreeing with the devs. That's it, that's all we did. And because we agree with the devs, bobbykitty started calling me, and others like me names. She has tried to shame us into shutting up. She wasn't even subtle about it. Now you are singing her song.

I have not named anybody at all. I don't know if I've ever even seen you post!! Are you including yourself in the "handful of players" described?? I would have to guess that you are suffering some sort of guilt complex about what was said. The mirror is not aimed at me, as I have not called anyone here any names at all. But you, on the other hand appear super concerned about that observation.

You didn't have to name anyone, you just had to admit to reading the forums and agreeing that bobbykitty was justified in her really poor behavior. Let us not forget that you then continued the behavior.

But they really ought to be ashamed of themselves for what they are doing.

I am sorry, but isn't that player-shaming? Oh, no, not when you do it. Not when bobbykitty does it. I find it incredibly offensive.

DeletedUser188

have actually lost count of how many times I have posted before and after images of the research tree in one final attempt to get people to understand.
Then why don't you stop you remind me of a broken record
I don't actually recall anyone asking for your help

DeletedUser3312

Holy Moly.. This convo is going down the toilet.

We are each of us people with feelings, ideas, knowledge, needs, and skills. We are all playing Elvenar. We each have our own way of playing it. We play in our own way, at a time that is convenient to us, and for reasons only we can understand. A lot of changes have been thrown out at us. Many are not complete, some don't work as we want them to, some don't work for various reasons. But we continue to play. Most people do not like change. We get comfortable when we learn something and get a bit bent when a change comes along and we have to do something different. Scouting times are becoming longer and longer. I don't remember a time when scouting times were all the same length of time apart. I wait 2 days for a scout to finish and then I click 8 little areas and bam, I am done. Province cleared. I do this 8 times and I have earned an expansion. In the meantime, I build up my goods, make trades, change my town around to look a bit different, chat with friends on the FS chat line, visit neighbors, and check the forum to see if there is any thing that will help me or that I can help someone else with. And when I have that done, I get up from the computer and clean house, read a book, walk my dog, go shopping, meet a friend for lunch, take a nap, or something else. I had to step back and take a long look at what was making me so angry about the game. What was stressing me out so much that I was becoming a regular gripe bucket. I read over some of the things I had posted and thought. wow... that was nasty what got up my knickers? And I realized I was stressing over a game. A game that had nothing to do with real life. Something I did for fun or should have done for fun but I was refusing to enjoy it. It was like I was punishing myself and not allowing me to enjoy the time I was on the game. And that folks... well that made no sense at all. It's a game, A GAME, things will change, otherwise the game will end. We play because we want to. We do not have to play the game. So... I will play the game, as I have the inclination, and do what is available to do, I will come to the forum and read a bit on things that I find interesting, if I feel I can help someone I will do that. and then I will get up from my computer and live a real life. I suggest we all do that. Rather than attacking each other and allowing the game to make us crazy, get up from the computer and live your real life. B'Shalom

DeletedUser2963

I was under the impression that this thread started there, but maybe that"s just me.

Thank you for that Jewess, I needed the reminder. Yeah, NO still not in my happy place...leaving now before I spew more venom.