• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Battles question

Is there any way of knowing the terrain before battles? It would help to know what you are faced with before deciding what type of troops to use. My swordsmen are not much use if there are too many obstacles in the way. Obviously I check out the opposition before building my army but knowing the terrain would be helpful.

Sorry for what must seem basic questions but I have scoured Elvenar Wiki and there's no help there.

DeletedUser4778

Unfortunately there is no way to preview the battlefield although this feature has been requested before and is needed even more now that there are two enemies who have a higher initiative than us -- namely the ranger and mist walker. What most people do is to send in their highest initiative troop, archers for elves and crossbowmen for humans. Some send only 1 scout but I like to send at least 2 archers and the other troops that I will pit against the foe so I can better see where to position everyone against the enemy's formation. After viewing the terrain and enemy formation, just click on the white flag icon on the lower left of the units display and then choose Fight again.

In case you don't know yet, the order in which you select your troops is not the order in which they appear on the battlefield. For more info on that, check out Mykan's Guide. For help with battles, check out Elvenar Platinum Leaf or Elvenar Platinum Leaf Community on Facebook or read Mykan's Guide here in the forums, especially the Fighting and Combat 101 sections and, when you're more advanced, the Provinces I and II sections. Mykan's Guide to Elvenar may be accessed directly via https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-to-elvenar.3966/.

Thanks for the link Draconomicon, will check out Mykan's Guide. I've not encountered mist walkers yet but those rangers are pretty deadly. Now that I've got Cerberus IIs, they are pretty effective in striking quickly across difficult terrains and I'm training them up in numbers, although aware that there is an update coming up and we have been advised to use up our troops as they are going to be weaker (or something - don't really understand what it's all about).

DeletedUser4778

I haven't encountered the mist walkers either and I'm in Chapter 6 but, based on their stats alone, I don't want to encounter them. I haven't fought rangers yet because I hate their initiative and I just entered Chapter 6 so I'd rather do some squad size research first before fighting them. There is an update coming but I don't think it's going to weaken our troops, that already happened in two previous updates. The nice thing about the coming update is that tournaments are supposed to be easier. I certainly hope so. I would prefer that they make province fights easier but it's better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only in Chapter 4. There's a couple of squad size upgrades coming up so I'm looking forward to the next tournament as I need the knowledge points. I fight if I can, but if I'm up really up against it I cater rather than losing troops. Easier tournament wold be a huge asset.

DeletedUser594

Once you get scouting and troop placement down the fighting really opens up. Provinces are difficult and costly where as tournaments are relatively cheap with low troop totals so get your bulk of practice in tournies. Scout and open only enough provinces to get the next chest unlock- if you open more than that the difficulty quickly escalates and becomes impossible until you increase troop size again. Good luck with it- it is a fun battle system if your not ahead of the next chest unlock by much.

Once you get scouting and troop placement down the fighting really opens up. Provinces are difficult and costly where as tournaments are relatively cheap with low troop totals so get your bulk of practice in tournies. Scout and open only enough provinces to get the next chest unlock- if you open more than that the difficulty quickly escalates and becomes impossible until you increase troop size again. Good luck with it- it is a fun battle system if your not ahead of the next chest unlock by much.

Ooops! I went scouting mad when I first started. My squadsize is 171 and I'm facing squads almost twice my size so at the moment the only fighting I do is in tournies. I'm 7 provinces ahead of my next chest unlock. Lesson learned, thanks.

DeletedUser4778

The easiest fights are the ones where all or most your units are good against everything which is why I like the marble and steel provinces.