• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign discussion

DeletedUser1016

Whoa....I really didn't "absorb" all of that....this post is mostly about re-balancing the squad sizes - right?

...the one thing I did get is that we need to spend down all our troops before this new release is set in place...and that's not for several weeks....if not a month away, presuming beta gets it first?

Oh...and thanks for the wonderful hint on new visiting race....wink, wink..... ;)

DeletedUser3575

Yeah @osideglen I had trouble absorbing also. Sounds like squad sizes will increase and cost of (higher level) troop production will go down, but the units will not be quite as "powerful" since you'll have so many more in a squad. I guess it makes sense to spend down the troops if they're "stronger" now and will get "weaker" later, but if I run out of guys I still have to train a bunch more when the overhaul happens, so I'm torn.

DeletedUser43

I have no clue how this will play out because I am confused too, but I love that you are giving people a head's up! That's simply wonderful! I know....maybe you could send this info to all archmages and have them tell their fellows about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Interesting. I'm curious to see how the rest of the balancing will turn out.
with a rough calc, at squad size upgrade #20 your stacks will be 640ish, so how much of a boost will armories give?
I know this: the first time something hits one of my stacks for a loss of 400+ units, I'm gonna flinch

DeletedUser594

The fighting went way out of whack with GraniteG's and Blessed P's anyway. There were few fights you could auto safely before them.
I hope they keep the complexity and add to it a bit, especially for the elven army. As you said bobby- it is a puzzle. I bet the fighting puts people off and they don't get to appreciate the puzzle like aspect of battle- maybe they should rename it Elven tag, enemies get put in time out and the winning side is the one that has at least one member still active. I bet a lot of ppl are just burnt by poor experiences in the fighting arena and never get to see how fun the fighting can be here.

DeletedUser1621

o_O

I'm confused about *why* it is being recommended to spend down troops before the release? If understand correctly, the squads will be larger, so I will have fewer "full" squads available after the change, and the individual units will be weaker, so I will lose more of them during battles than before the change. So net effect is larger squads, but more individual unit losses from battles and fewer total squads available. How will having FEWER troops at the time of the change help *any* of this? :confused:

Are the troop build times also going to drop drastically? Otherwise, it will take just as long to build replacement troops as it does now, but with more losses my total recovery time for lost troops will go up. Again, how would starting with fewer troops help any of this?

DeletedUser43

Your current troops will become weak bunnies with the new update. They are warning us to use them while they still have some teeth. :) Sure, you can save them, but they will be dime a dozen and not so strong as they are now. Inno is giving us warning before they make this change! Yay!!! You might as well use them while they are still stronger is what they are saying.

Think of it as the FED giving you warning that they are about to inflate the dollar. Spend what you can now while the dollar still has the value it has. :)

DeletedUser1621

I see. So net effect will be to slow the game down again because we can't build troops quickly enough to recoup the increased losses under the new battle system? Well it is what it is. I've adjusted strategy with other changes, will just need to puzzle this one out and adjust accordingly.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I see. So net effect will be to slow the game down again because we can't build troops quickly enough to recoup the increased losses under the new battle system? Well it is what it is. I've adjusted strategy with other changes, will just need to puzzle this one out and adjust accordingly.
No, from what I understand, "everything will be balanced around this".
So your armory wont give you +24, it'll give +300,
Training time for 1 barbarian won't be 60 seconds, it'll be 2 seconds
etc etc
Note: I used random numbers as an example, but you get the idea.

DeletedUser3312

well poop. I've got my barrack going full speed ahead. best kill off those pore lil ol suckers.... Let them die honorably now than get mowed down later... and I will be ticked purple if those changes do not happen and we then have to spend all that time and hammers and such to rebuild our military. I hesitate as the fairies are still a "thing in progress" and they were supposed to be done ages ago.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I haven't read anywhere that the quality of troops will drop. My understanding is we are likely to get more information in a future communication about troops. I have understood the comment on devalue to relate to the cost of the units and the impacts of the squad size changes.

For example 5000 supplies on troops now will be different to 5000 supplies for troops after the update. Bottom line is each player needs to figure out what is the best decision for them. Spend the troops now or stockpile them regardless.

DeletedUser3610

Bottom line is each player needs to figure out what is the best decision for them. Spend the troops now or stockpile them regardless.
I don't think there's enough information to make that decision yet. I'll definitively wait for more info on this.

DeletedUser43

@Ælfwine, will beta test this first before it happens here so we get a few more details before it hits? I normally would think so, but on beta we got this announcement at the same time it happened here.

DeletedUser43

This is fabulous news!! The fighting is so complicated here. I made this same suggestion on beta, but I will repeat it here:

it would be great if Timon or someone could make a video walking people through the mechanics of a battle. Many people are clueless and have no idea what the hitpoints mean or even how to move or which enemy moves next. They are losing out on so much of this game. We have needed this for a long time, but now would be a great time to put together a fighting video tutorial!

I thank you again so much for revamping this system! (Crossing my fingers that it won't become harder to win battles. So I am cautiously optimistic. So often rebalancing means we lose something. I hope this won't be like that. :) ).

Thank you again for giving us all this huge heads up!