• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Book Recommendations

Alpha Lyrae

Helloooooo fellow bibliophiles! I need new books to read. Fiction. Pretty much any genre. I prefer a good series, but wouldn't turn down a stand-alone suggestion.The longer the better.

A few of my favorites:
  1. Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
  2. All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness
  3. Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (I've been waiting for the 3rd book in this series for 8 years now. :mad: Be warned if you dive in that there's no telling when this book will come.)
Authors I enjoy (other than the ones above): I read everything by Dean Koontz, Jeffery Deaver, Kathy Reichs, Karin Slaughter, Neil Gaiman, Janet Evanovich (don't judge me, yo :p). Too many to list!

I like serious novels, fun reads, trashy reads.... whatever! Hit me with your best shot. ;)

Vergazi

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/r-a-macavoy/

This is some info about the author R. A. MacAvoy

I would especially suggest the Damiano Trilogy https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/r-a-macavoy/damiano-series.htm

Basic description is what it says though and I couldn't describe it better in one line than what it says - An alternate-history fantasy of faith and wizardry set during the Italian Renaissance

Damiano
the first of the trilogy description - In Damiano, our hero is Damiano Dalstrego, a wizard's son, an alchemist, and the heir to dark magics. But he is also an innocent, a young scholar and musician befriended by the Archangel Raphael, who instructs him in the lute. To save his beloved city from war, Damiano leaves his cloistered life and sets out on a pilgrimage, seeking the aid of a powerful sorceress as he walks the narrow path between light and shadow, accompanied only by his talking dog. But his road is filled with betrayal, disillusionment, and death . . .
The following three it gets even better.

If anyone feels like taking a look at these they are really great. I last read them in high school when i was a student aide in the library and when these came in new one day I had to scoop them up as soon as I could and read them. Happy reading!

DeletedUser

Just a small sample of some of my most cherished favorites.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
- Douglas Adams
...And Another Thing - Eoin Colfer
Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Based on the series Red Dwarf) - Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (who call themselves Grant Naylor) :D
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
After The King: Stories In Honor Of JRR Tolkien - edited by Martin H. Greenberg
Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami
Imajica - Clive Barker
The Mummy, Or Ramses The Damned - Anne Rice
The Children of Húrin - JRR Tolkien
Ashes of Eden - William Shatner
Venus On The Half Shell - Philip Jose Farmer
Pet Sematary - Stephen King
Lord Of The Dead - Tom Holland

Alpha Lyrae

@Vergazi Thanks! I've added the series to my "To Read" list on Goodreads. :D

@Loki Lyesmith I spy some authors I really like on that list. Anne Rice is another favorite, but I've only read the Vampire Chronicles series. I tried to start the Mayfair Witches series and could not get into it. I'll definitely give the two you recommended a read. :)

Side note: I just looked at Anne Rice's Goodreads page and found this gem of information:
She uses the pseudonym Anne Rampling for adult-themed fiction (i.e., erotica) and A.N. Roquelaure for fiction featuring sexually explicit sado-masochism.

Hey, Anne. How YOU doin? ;):p

DeletedUser

@Alpha Lyrae

That's one book, actually. :p

Ramses.jpg

As for her erotica, it doesn't do anything for me. I've read better. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fan of AR anymore. She kinda went off the deep end and I can't stomach anything she's written since...well, it's been a very long time. The Mummy and Vittorio The Vampire are her only works that I will still read.

DeletedUser2768

I just came across this list last night and needto see how many my library has. The only one I DON'T agree with is Robert Jordan's WoT, I can not STAND that series.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...nt1uRaVRsf6W0HoBg48sB4lqL46YmFM7z19SUup_EpqTg

I also recommend:
David Eddings--The Belgariad, Mallorian (2 different series, same world/characters), The Tamuli, The Elenium (same thing)
Anne McCaffery (and her son Todd)--PERN novels
Mercedes Lackey--Heralds of Valdemar
Jim Butcher--Codex Alera (Lost Roman Legion and pokemon, sort of) or Dresden Files (Syfy series of the same name was garbage)
Oh shoot, I recently read a series and I don't remember the author. The Fire Rose is technically the first book, but the only one set in the US, all the rest are England or Europe. Fairy Tales with a twist.

Alpha Lyrae

I just came across this list last night and needto see how many my library has. The only one I DON'T agree with is Robert Jordan's WoT, I can not STAND that series.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...nt1uRaVRsf6W0HoBg48sB4lqL46YmFM7z19SUup_EpqTg

I also recommend:
David Eddings--The Belgariad, Mallorian (2 different series, same world/characters), The Tamuli, The Elenium (same thing)
Anne McCaffery (and her son Todd)--PERN novels
Mercedes Lackey--Heralds of Valdemar
Jim Butcher--Codex Alera (Lost Roman Legion and pokemon, sort of) or Dresden Files (Syfy series of the same name was garbage)
Oh shoot, I recently read a series and I don't remember the author. The Fire Rose is technically the first book, but the only one set in the US, all the rest are England or Europe. Fairy Tales with a twist.

Oh! Thanks for the recommendations. I read the Mistborn Trilogy from that list and enjoyed it, so I'll probably like some of the others.

Anyone who likes a good booklist should check out Goodreeds' lists: https://www.goodreads.com/list

There's also the Pendergast novels by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Starts with Relic, gets much better the farther you go.
Also James Rollins, both his standalone books as well as the Sigma Force novels.

DeletedUser20396

Sorry i didn't see this earlier, @Alpha Lyrae. C.S. Lewis, The chronicles of Narnia, George MacDonald, the fisherman'a lady, followed by the Marquis Secret, another by george is the Baron's Apprentice, Star Wars, I would start at the han solo trilogy, by A.C. Crispin: the paradise snare, the Hutt gambit, and Rebel Dawn. And also Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Brian Daley, Del Rey Books.

Han Solo at Star's End (1979)
Han Solo's Revenge (1979)
Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (1980)

In 1982, he republished the trilogy in a single volume titled The Han Solo Adventures. Good stuff.

DeletedUser

Right. L. Neil Smith published The Adventures Of Lando Calrissian Trilogy in 1983.

Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka

Timothy Zahn wrote The Thrawn Trilogy, also called The Heir To The Empire Trilogy, set five or so years after Return Of The Jedi.

Heir to the Empire (1991)
Dark Force Rising (1992)
The Last Command (1993)

He also wrote The Hand Of Thrawn, a two book set, in 1997 and 1998.

Anywho, there are some very good Star Wars novels out there.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
You ever wonder if politics is really all that important? People dedicate their entire lives to it but do things change in any significant ways? Ignazio Silone's "Bread and Wine" takes up that question. Set in Mussolini's Italy of the mid-1930's (though Mussolini and Italy are never actually mentioned), you travel with a would-be revolutionary and fake priest as he tries to re-kindle the revolution only to find out the fire of youth is sometimes difficult to rekindle once your comrades have lives after the revolution, spouses, kids and jobs. And what happens when you too, are forced to live a simple existence far from the seat of power? Does anybody actually care about what party is in power or are we all just trying to settle down and live our existence as happily as we can?

The book is only a hundred pages or so and written in a plain and easily accessible language. But it asks and offers some answers, or at least some possible answers to these questions.

AJ

DeletedUser20396

Right. L. Neil Smith published The Adventures Of Lando Calrissian Trilogy in 1983.

Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka

Timothy Zahn wrote The Thrawn Trilogy, also called The Heir To The Empire Trilogy, set five or so years after Return Of The Jedi.

Heir to the Empire (1991)
Dark Force Rising (1992)
The Last Command (1993)

He also wrote The Hand Of Thrawn, a two book set, in 1997 and 1998.

Anywho, there are some very good Star Wars novels out there.

These are excellent books.

I would like to add, @Alpha Lyrae , that the Inheritance Series By Christopher Paolini is a great read. Eragon is the first book, next is Eldest, then Brisinger, and finally Inheritance.

NightshadeCS

1. Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (I've been waiting for the 3rd book in this series for 8 years now. :mad: Be warned if you dive in that there's no telling when this book will come.)
I also read these books when they first came out and have spent years being frustrated by Mr. Rothfuss's writers block. I feel bad for him. He must feel like there is a sword hanging over his head at all times.

I always recommend the books by Jacqueline Carey, especially the series beginning with Kushiel's Dart.

DeletedUser19035

Weep no more my lady - Mary Higgins Clark
Perry Mason series - Erle Stanley Gardener
All are Mystery, suspense etc. types :D

DeletedUser

The Norse Myths Kevin Crossley-Holland (1980)
The Mask Of Loki Roger Zelazny (1990)
American Gods Neil Gaiman (2001)