• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Change neighbourly help layout.

Tesfaye

Change the layout for better neighbourly help, replace the handshake icon with gold, builder and culture icons. Currently players click on handshake icon then a new screen pops up and select either MH, B or C. Then players has to move to the next handshake icon down the list. It is too much scrolling in my humble opinion. By replacing the handshake with three icons, players can just go down the list without having to scroll back and forth. If the builders icon can be greyed out if the boosts are full. For players who wants priority on certain boost, they can have certain icons highlighted or something.

Untitled.png

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I'd like to see a time come when everyone has a selection button to list their favorite, and then each person clicks just ONE button and automatically everyone that they can give to is automatically given the gift they prefer. One button a day to push ... nothing more. Boy that would save a lot of work, since I have around 350 that I can gift and I know others have even more.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'd like to see a time come when everyone has a selection button to list their favorite, and then each person clicks just ONE button and automatically everyone that they can give to is automatically given the gift they prefer.
I'd like to see this as well, but I *think* (says the player who knows nothing about coding:rolleyes: so take with large grain of salt) it would be harder to program than it seems. With the current game limitations on giving help, I don't see how it could be done without accounting for certain bldgs not being available for polish (examples: all culture bldgs have current polish; all builders have been boosted). That would require a player be able to 'rank' their choices, so for example if Builder is top preference but full, it would default to 2nd choice C and if all culture bldgs were polished, it would default to 3rd choice MH. I think that would be more complicated to do than for example selecting 'favorite' on the AW's, the only other selection system I can think of atm in the game.
IMO they'd also need to do something about the MH storage limit of 20 helps worth of coins from NH before they must be collected to earn more. Cities in active FS's and a decent neighborhood who select MH first can now easily reach that limit daily. If their schedule is not such they can collect frequently, they get no benefit from another player visiting and donating to their MH. Once the limit is reached, the MH remains available to polish but the receiving player forfeits the benefits until they collect the existing limit. The only thing that saves them from getting *nothing* right now is that so many players ignore the request of 'MH Only' (as well as others like 'NO COINS!', lol!) such that they're not getting all those donations from all visitors.

Darielle

I'd like to see this as well, but I *think* (says the player who knows nothing about coding:rolleyes: so take with large grain of salt) it would be harder to program than it seems. With the current game limitations on giving help, I don't see how it could be done without accounting for certain bldgs not being available for polish (examples: all culture bldgs have current polish; all builders have been boosted). That would require a player be able to 'rank' their choices, so for example if Builder is top preference but full, it would default to 2nd choice C and if all culture bldgs were polished, it would default to 3rd choice MH. I think that would be more complicated to do than for example selecting 'favorite' on the AW's, the only other selection system I can think of atm in the game.
IMO they'd also need to do something about the MH storage limit of 20 helps worth of coins from NH before they must be collected to earn more. Cities in active FS's and a decent neighborhood who select MH first can now easily reach that limit daily. If their schedule is not such they can collect frequently, they get no benefit from another player visiting and donating to their MH. Once the limit is reached, the MH remains available to polish but the receiving player forfeits the benefits until they collect the existing limit. The only thing that saves them from getting *nothing* right now is that so many players ignore the request of 'MH Only' (as well as others like 'NO COINS!', lol!) such that they're not getting all those donations from all visitors.
Yeah, you're probably right. But it would save my poor nerves if they had this. I know in another game they had a feature where you could send everyone gifts at once. But then, they didn't have "preferences" ... it was just a random gift. But I'd sure be willing to sacrifice my preference and get just a randomized gift, if they'd make gifting this easy. That's the only part of this game that bores me to death.

Katwick

Cartographer
If you sweep the map every day, it's sort of interesting to take a peek an hour BEFORE your previous visit expires.

Any NEW neighbors will be easy to identify, as their timer will be blank. This is a particularly good idea on Tuesdays, as some active, but isolated, cities are moved around every Monday.

defiantoneks

imma be honest and say… I dont really care. yeah it might be nice but to me, help is help. not getting exactly the help you want is likely a concern limited to lower level players with a limited neighbor pool. if you've a ton of help coming in eventually it will all get distributed to any open item.

Darielle

If you sweep the map every day, it's sort of interesting to take a peek an hour BEFORE your previous visit expires.

Any NEW neighbors will be easy to identify, as their timer will be blank. This is a particularly good idea on Tuesdays, as some active, but isolated, cities are moved around every Monday.
I used to do that when I had 100 neighbors or so. But it sure gets hard quickly when you're going into the hundreds.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I love the idea. I will say I take the time everyday to help every single neighbor. No matter how long it takes I do it bc it helps me in return even if they do not help back. That gives me a lot of extra coins if my bar is full too spend on extra goods etc. Plus it's free. So regardless if they do it or not I will continue everyday, everybody. But this is a very nice suggestion for sure!

quin629

The current method, imperfect as it is, allows players to rank their preferences in their city name fields. Just having 3 buttons available to push without first showing you the city name means all help will be blind guesses.

Zoof

At the moment, culture buildings are ranked from highest culture to least culture. On the request to generate the NH window, the server replies with the highest value culture item that hasn't already been polished. If there are no buildings left to polish, then much like the Builder's Hut, the option to select it drops from the menu. If the building that was selected got polished before you manage to hit the button, the server replies with an error indicating that the building was already polished. If that happens, you currently have to exit out of the NH window, and reopen it to get the newly-grayed out button to become green so you can try again.

The thing that performs the selection would, ideally, be a separate function that could be called to retrieve a valid-at-the-time culture building for which you can then select to have polished (or an empty result to indicate that there's none left). Ideally. It's also equally likely that the piece of code responsible is buried somewhere deep in the guts and would prove excessively troublesome to extract and still work as intended. Code refactoring is, after all, a pain that nobody wants to deal with.

If the former, then it comes down to the willingness to implement it and modify the interface to make it so. Which may make the design team throw a hissy fit. If the latter, expect a swift rejection followed by many months before someone gets sufficiently wasted one night and decides to hammer out a piece of miracle code to do the job "just because they can". And then attempt to convince the rest of the dev team that they've brought gold that absolutely has to be added to the codebase stat or else everything will halt and catch fire do it do it doitdoitdoit shipitbeforeitbreaks.

---

That being said, I also fully expect that in order to make that functionality work, the game would need to query the availability of all items in all target cities on the page being opened before the user interface could show something approaching usable. Coupled with the amount of time such a page would need to be opened for to get to all the things, I imagine that the last couple entries on the list might be outdated by someone else doing neighborly help at the same time, thus throw errors more than one would like to see (which would preferably be never).

Storing preferences would necessitate changes to the database structure, which is something often quoted back when teleporting evolving buildings weren't a thing, and is sometimes still quoted when people wonder why (at this point in time) we can't teleport Ancient Wonders. Those quotes can summarized to be: "No."

Also, I can't imagine this being any easier for people to use as-is for those who has problems or simply dislikes doing precision clicking to make a particular irrevocable transaction. The trader is bad enough; I wouldn't want the devs to inflict that on all of us here as well.

I also waited to put out this post until I could perform an actual NH request to examine what the server sends back. There's a lot of speculation, and I'd rather not be wrong on something that's easily verifiable. NH attempts do, indeed, reply back with available buildings (along with other funsies, like what sort of rewards you ought to get when you do give help), which implies that the selection is done server-side. Thank goodness for the forum's ability to autosave drafts of a post.

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
They've already ruined neighborly visits by taking so darn long to implement a sane method on browser that I've grown accustomed to not bothering. Anyone outside the FS that gets a visit is just lucky so they should be happy to accept whatever the heck I click on, which is usually culture, as it necessitates the least mouse movement.

If the former, then it comes down to the willingness to implement it and modify the interface to make it so. Which may make the design team throw a hissy fit. If the latter, expect a swift rejection followed by many months before someone gets sufficiently wasted one night and decides to hammer out a piece of miracle code to do the job "just because they can". And then attempt to convince the rest of the dev team that they've brought gold that absolutely has to be added to the codebase stat or else everything will halt and catch fire do it do it doitdoitdoit shipitbeforeitbreaks.
All changes must be implemented using regex, regardless of whether or not it is wise to do so.

Zoof

They've already ruined neighborly visits by taking so darn long to implement a sane method on browser that I've grown accustomed to not bothering. Anyone outside the FS that gets a visit is just lucky so they should be happy to accept whatever the heck I click on, which is usually culture, as it necessitates the least mouse movement.

I'm partial to that spot about most of a card left* of center so that it'll always hit builder's hut if it's there BUT ALSO hit culture if it's not. If I'm not reading the NH requests because of time or tiredness, that's my go-to spot for fulfilling a religious requirement

EDIT:
* I mean right. That direction that goes eastward. Holy freaking hell I still have problems telling my left from my right even though I know exactly where I mean to go. This can't be normal and this condition has to have a name.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

IMO they'd also need to do something about the MH storage limit of 20 helps worth of coins
This sucks. I hadn't noticed this until a month or so ago. I was trying to save coins for the start of an FA and it got stuck at 10% of what the MH can hold. Each visit is a half a percent of the MH cap. Since there is a limit of useful buffs, it seems like it should be like the BH and not be available once reached. The problem with that is a city may become impossible to get coins from since all three options may be full. The MH limit is a separate topic, and I don't have a good idea how to solve it.
As requested for years:
The best way would be for players to "Heart" their own preference (much like wonders now) and visitors simply click "help"
I like this, but what happens if you have marked BH as your fav (which is mine) and it is full? What does it choose? I prefer MH since I'm online way too much, but I think most people would prefer Culture.