• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Chapter 8 Orcs Res'

HJK84

I recently entered Orcs & Goblins, but not building Settlements yet.

While upgrading Res' to Orc style, I decided to calculate the pop required to upgrade all my buildings to max lvl in Orcs.
I realized, if I do upgrade all my Res', I'll have thousands of extra pop.
Even after I sell off a Chapter C/P building so I can replace with a full C building. Realizing I might need some extra Cult.

Is it normal to start selling off Res' or am I missing something here?

I have 39 Res'. And 2 Magic Res', eventually will be at Chapter lvl, waiting on collecting X amount of Blueprints and upgrading all the way, instead of weekly.

Insight? Someone? Anyone? Thanks a bunch :p
You can check https://www.elvenstats.com/ to view my city and ask questions if needed.

P.S.
I could ask fellow FS members, but boy... I rather chat here instead of a wall of text in game.
Also, might help others ;)

-Thanks, James :)

Pheryll

Set Designer
It is easy in the Fairy chapter to obtain more residences than you will actually need in the orc chapter. It is also easy to over-rely on Fairy residences and upgrade more buildings than is helpful later. The orc chapter is best done with a large amount of space devoted to settlement buildings. It is often a very low culture chapter, where the residences get only slightly better per square from the previous chapter (the first residence upgrade in orcs is actually worse population per square). If you can afford to sell off Fairy residences and replace the space with Orc ones do so. Additional guest race space means much more in this chapter than extra manufactories.

HJK84

@Pheryll Thanks.

I wasn't plan' on adding any new buildings, ie; manus. What I have now, is what I'm sticking with for while.
Being able to do ~3k avg pts in Tournies with this set up every week, is all I wanted. Some weeks needing to use MM's, and some weeks not.

I didn't look at the 1st Orc Res. You're correct it's lower than Fairy Res per square. The 2nd though is far better.

Your paragraph confused me a bit.
I should get rid of some Fairy Res' and upgrade rest to max Orcs, to make room for settlements?
And later down the road I will/might need/want to make more Res' from scratch?

Risen Malchiah

The dwarf and fairy residences have pitiful increases in population so we have to build a ton of them. Orc residences are larger, but also have a much greater increase in population (as you've no doubt noticed) so it is normal to sell off a few of them. The same is true with manufacturies in later chapters. As they get more efficient, you can reduce how many you have to free up some space.

From orcs all the way through Amuni, I keep my 2 main cities at around 20 residences. But I also rely heavily on some good pop/culture event buildings with the hopes that I will be able to upgrade them with Royal Restoration spells.... some day. :p

DeletedUser2207

In general as you advance in chapters you will be deleting things more than you will be buildings new ones, as the buildings get bigger and increase in efficiency. A few times I've deleted things and then the next chapter had to go back and rebuild it, but for the most part once they're gone it's no problem. And rebuilding really isn't *that* much of a hassle if it's just a couple buildings, and you either do it between guest settlements or have a little extra space in your city

As you're in Orcs, it's helpful to keep the Woodelves culture changes in the back of your mind while doing city planning, choosing buildings from events, etc. In Woodelves, mana is introduced, using culture/mana buildings. Because of this, all the pure culture and culture/pop buildings shift up in value to offset their lack of mana production. The Royal Restoration spell will change planning for this when it's finally released, but in general plan on ditching any pure culture buildings once you hit woodelves, and any culture/pop with pop per square below the woodelf residences. Of course if you're hanging on to something with the plan to upgrade it than that's different :)

DeletedUser9601

I find that from Dwarves to Amuni, I've devoted the same % of city space to residences. So when residences increase in size (Fairies to Orcs), I deleted a bunch. When residences decreased a bit (Halflings to Elementals), I added a couple.