• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Character name vs login name

DeletedUser998

I don't know if this has been suggested but it would be nice if you could have character names that are different than your login name. Some people, like myself, are writing stories about our fellowship and when you have names like cmltBoss or iam7777 it kinda mess up the story. Additionally, if you could add an attachment feature on the email to the group that would be awesome. Thanks for the consideration.

DeletedUser61

Games which allow multiple characters, per world, Worlds of Warcraft for example, obviously need to allow multiple names per world. Otherwise, extra names just add extra confusion because the multiple identities will, unfortunately, be abused by griefers.

Deleted User - 107391

Games which allow multiple characters, per world, Worlds of Warcraft for example, obviously need to allow multiple names per world. Otherwise, extra names just add extra confusion because the multiple identities will, unfortunately, be abused by griefers.

I just wish we could *change* the name.

DeletedUser998

Katwijk, the game has to use a database of some sort to keep track of your account and everything associated with it. Why would it be abused if a persons login name was linked to his characters names? I'm just trying to understand. Also, could you explain what "griefers" are?

DeletedUser61

When you first registered you selected a Name and indicated an associated email address, and you're pretty much stuck with that Name in all of the worlds of that region. You can't use that same email address for a second account in that same region.

The game moderators do indeed have the ability to modify names that violate the game rules, but it's something that they do very reluctantly.

Griefers are cowards who use multiple identities to wreck havoc and cause grief for other folks, rather than using their main character, under the assumption that they can thereby avoid the social consequences of their actions.

So - very much to the point - the reputation associated with your selected Name is something that you need to develop and nourish. Many of us have internet "handles" that we've developed across the years, and have used in several games.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser998

Ok... I'm fairly new to this, as you know, but thank you for that explanation. If I understand you correctly, it is more of a controlling issue so that the game doesn't get jerks in it, though some do exist.

DeletedUser

Having a Display Name different from a login name is just a DB entry. It can be done and is in several games without creating multiples of anything. The option exists on your account to select a different name than login name and that becomes your in-game name.

I would even support a for-diamond option to change the display name, though I think that would be out of the bounds of typical gaming conventions for F2P games currently using different handles than logins.

Perhaps a 1-time free change with further changes costing diamonds. I've seen it done in other games.